Anyone use Twitter?

Apologies to anyone who started following me. I've opened Pandora's box.

@ThePrederick, although I think everyone here interested in listening to me has found me already.

Prederick wrote:

@ThePrederick, although I think everyone here interested in listening to me has found me already.

Not true - you were not on my GWJ list till today

Ooh, there's a thread for this already. Anyone feel like trading follows? Trying to get into this whole Twitter thing, catch up with the newfangled stuffs... @dmcleavy Let me know if you follow me and that you're from gwj please.

@MyBrainHz at your service.

@4xisblack, though I haven't any idea why. I suppose distributing my procrastination across multiple web services makes me feel better.

Does anyone know if there's a twitter client for desktop PC, that will do desktop popup notifications on tweets?

I'm looking for something that sits in the tray, and when I get a tweet from someone, it will have a balloon style notification.

Jeff-66 wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a twitter client for desktop PC, that will do desktop popup notifications on tweets?

I'm looking for something that sits in the tray, and when I get a tweet from someone, it will have a balloon style notification.

TweetDeck.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

TweetDeck.

Thanks, checking it out now. Apologies if that was obvious. I've never had reason or desire to use Twitter before. Apparently I'm the last person on earth who wasn't using it.

Jeff-66 wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:

TweetDeck.

Thanks, checking it out now. Apologies if that was obvious. I've never had reason or desire to use Twitter before. Apparently I'm the last person on earth who wasn't using it.

In my experience, nobody has reason to use Twitter; it's just yet another way to scream LOOK AT ME online to a bunch of strangers. Which yes, I do all the time. I highly recommend following @TheTweetOfGod, he's beyond hilarious.

Jeff-66 wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:

TweetDeck.

Thanks, checking it out now. Apologies if that was obvious. I've never had reason or desire to use Twitter before. Apparently I'm the last person on earth who wasn't using it.

The Tweetdeck Chrome app can work similarly, so long as you have it open in a tab.

This seems like the best place to post this.

I will be firing my Twitter feed back up for PAX East. Received a little but understandable flack last year from people that weren't at PAX, about their feeds being flooded with stuff about lines, meet ups, etc. I post everything with a "paxgwj" appropriate hash tag and filter my own feed to only show that; so I was completely unaware of any news that was happening (tsunami).

I would like to say if you aren't going to PAX and you happen to be someone who follows me; feel free to UN-follow me, as I only use it as a way to organize while at the convention.

Tigerbill wrote:

I would like to say if you aren't going to PAX and you happen to be someone who follows me; feel free to UN-follow me, as I only use it as a way to organize while at the convention.

This is why I love Tweetbot (iOS). I can set a timed mute filter for hash tags and accounts, and not have to worry about this. Big celebrity doing fan questions? Episode of FRINGE that I can't get to for a couple of days? Gaming conventions I can't afford to attend?

I've succumbed. @scurvydogmk be my Twitter name. I haven't figured out how to make it work yet, but I've registered. Baby steps.

ScurvyDog wrote:

I've succumbed. @scurvydogmk be my Twitter name. I haven't figured out how to make it work yet, but I've registered. Baby steps.

You will be tempted to use the Twitter home page.

Do not, unless you have no choice. Get Tweetdeck instead.

mudbunny wrote:
ScurvyDog wrote:

I've succumbed. @scurvydogmk be my Twitter name. I haven't figured out how to make it work yet, but I've registered. Baby steps.

You will be tempted to use the Twitter home page.

Do not, unless you have no choice. Get Tweetdeck instead.

Alternatively, use Twitter Web but install PBTwitter+ which fixes a lot of the problems with Twitter Web. Between that and Tweet Marker for Chrome, I've actually stopped using Tweetdeck.

PS: ScurvyDog - added you to my GWJ list.

What's the advantage of tweetdeck? I only use the Twiter app, don't look at it on my computer. Also, read more than I actually tweet- but just to throw it out I am @demonbox on Twitter.

demonbox wrote:

What's the advantage of tweetdeck? I only use the Twiter app, don't look at it on my computer. Also, read more than I actually tweet- but just to throw it out I am @demonbox on Twitter.

Multiple columns, for different lists/searches, which is particularly useful if you have multiple twitter accounts (I have a work and personal twitter account)

Tweetdeck used to be capable of some wonderful feats ... then it became adopted by Twitter themselves and had some of its better meta-searching and multi-list monitoring removed

I've been run away from Tweetdeck on the PC to Metro Twit. Only things I miss is the ability to delete all read tweets from view to clear a column and the ability to see facebook stuff (which I really don't care that much about). Otherwise, I'm pretty happy.

Don't know if I've every posted it before, but my account is @andrewsexton . I don't really tweet that much though. I consume more than create.

Has a good replacement for Tweetdeck been made by anyone? I really want a Twitter and G+ client in one.

Things like a GWJ list seem great and useful. Also, added a lot of people today- may have to scale back. I don't have a lot of time to read during the day and my twitter reading already feels a bit thick, but happy to add some GWJ peeps.

I've thrown a bunch of follows out, and got Twitter for the iPad. I've got Tweetdeck on the home PC and dig it. This is rather addictive.

I broke down last week. Had too many Twitter feeds in my Google Reader, and figured I was missing the point...

@ukhoosier, if anyone's interested.

Heads-up that kaostheory's Twitter account appears to have been compromised.

Wouldn't recommend clicking on any links in DMs you get from that account in the meantime.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

Heads-up that kaostheory's Twitter account appears to have been compromised.

Wouldn't recommend clicking on any links in DMs you get from that account in the meantime.

I PM'ed him on the forums earlier. He's since managed to reset his password and remove any suspicious apps.

Still, I'd suggest nuking it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

avggeek wrote:
Dimmerswitch wrote:

Heads-up that kaostheory's Twitter account appears to have been compromised.

Wouldn't recommend clicking on any links in DMs you get from that account in the meantime.

I PM'ed him on the forums earlier. He's since managed to reset his password and remove any suspicious apps.

Still, I'd suggest nuking it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure :)

Oh, okay. Thanks for that. I was wondering what was wrong. Carry on, Pond.

Is there really no app as good as the old TweetDeck that posts to Twitter, FB and G+?

Edwin wrote:

Is there really no app as good as the old TweetDeck that posts to Twitter, FB and G+?

As far as I'm aware, the Chrome plugin doesn't do G+. Otherwise, it's pretty solid.

I don't remember if I posted anything here. Oh well.

My Twitter thing is https://twitter.com/Strangeblades