Games You'd Like To See

Azure Chicken wrote:
Koning_Floris wrote:

I would like a good Melee multiplayer game. With dismemberment first of all.

Sounds like Die By the Sword.

Or Bilestoad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bilestoad

Koning_Floris wrote:

I sure did not, had some great multiplaying fun with that. But I want more control, Rune is also too button smashing. I want to aim the sword more reliably, and be able to strike at the exact location I want to strike. And more need of timing. Reading of the opponents model what he will do and counteract on that or die. And all this in splendid first person and with 128 people in one battle. Ah well, a man can have dreams right?

I think we'll get there. Its probably going to take virtual reality or at least the next generation of Wii controller to get the absolute sensitivity and control down. But once the technology is there, I guarantee a number of developers will want to bring this sort of game to light.

I would like to see a business simulator with a strong role-playing (not stat-playing) focus.

* Orc Grinder *
A steady line of Orcs is rushing toward the player. The player's task is to hit them over the head with a big hammer. The player cannot die, because if he forgets to hammer an orc, the hammer does that for him.

Khaz Rhoz Zek wrote:

I would like to see a business simulator with a strong role-playing (not stat-playing) focus.

Not enough good (non-Tycoon) business games, ya.

As for the exercise "games". I knew my idea was too good to be untried already. Some neat ideas out there.

I want a modern Bushido Blade. But not II. Please lord, not number two!

Updated graphics, more maps, more fights, more weapons, and more characters to choose from. Half the fun of that game was just running for miles on end only to leap off a bridge and slice your opponent through the head with a katana while he wasn't looking. Of course, that may not have done well for my "honorable kills" record.. but it was fun. And who cares if it wasn't fair? There was a freaking guy with a gun that one-shots you. IN A FEUDAL FIGHTING GAME.

Vrikk wrote:

I want a modern Bushido Blade. But not II. Please lord, not number two!

Updated graphics, more maps, more fights, more weapons, and more characters to choose from. Half the fun of that game was just running for miles on end only to leap off a bridge and slice your opponent through the head with a katana while he wasn't looking. Of course, that may not have done well for my "honorable kills" record.. but it was fun. And who cares if it wasn't fair? There was a freaking guy with a gun that one-shots you. IN A FEUDAL FIGHTING GAME.

Yes. Genius, Vrikk.

Though I didn't think two was as bad.

I want a game, for the Wii, that makes you feel like as much of a badass as Kratos is, yet look like a complete doof as you physically swing your weapons around.

I liked God of War. I felt like such a malevolent force of nature. And playing Prince of Persia just isn't doing it for me, sigh.

Some Fate-sim kind of effort, where you have a god's eye view of the world and you have to get person A to meet up with person B and fall in love. Trouble is they're on opposite sides of the planet, so you have to set off a domino-rally of omnipotent events (hurricanes, delayed trains, etc) to get the pair to hook up.

Later levels could involve arranging the meetings of people who are not only locationaly removed, but maybe on the opposite sides of warring faction, or comletely different social spheres.

Rom-Com-Sim.

Baggz wrote:

Some Fate-sim kind of effort, where you have a god's eye view of the world and you have to get person A to meet up with person B and fall in love. Trouble is they're on opposite sides of the planet, so you have to set of a domino-rally of omnipotent events (hurricanes, delayed trains, etc) to get the pair to hook up.

Later levels could involve arranging the meetings of people who are not only locationaly removed, but maybe on the opposite sides of warring faction, or comletely different social spheres.

Rom-Com-Sim.

This sir, sounds awesome! I would totally play this.

I have played the Die by the Sword demo, and I might just try the full game some time. Bilestoad I don't know, but the wikipage sounds interesting. But I would really like some better graphics. And sieges, how cool would it be have a 64 player map, where 28 people are defending a castle/town and the other 36 are trying to conquer it, with siege engines and all.

Azure Chicken wrote:

I want a game, for the Wii, that makes you feel like as much of a badass as Kratos is, yet look like a complete doof as you physically swing your weapons around.

I liked God of War. I felt like such a malevolent force of nature. And playing Prince of Persia just isn't doing it for me, sigh.

Let me whole-heartedly second this. It would be so awesome/hilarious to be required to do crazy moves with the wiimote to accomplish anything. However, it would make God of War turn from effortless badass into "Are you having a seizure!?" when your friends walked into the room.

Koning_Floris wrote:

Bilestoad I don't know, but the wikipage sounds interesting. But I would really like some better graphics.

Yeah. Well, the game came out for the Apple ][e like 20 some years ago, so there's probably not going to be much improvement on the graphics front.

It was a lot of fun playing with a couple friends, one on each side of the keyboard. You could hack the other player's limbs off, which was terribly amusing to us at the time ( still would be, I imagine).

Anyway, I mentioned it more as a lark.

Die by the Sword was better. I thought the latest M&M game would be a lot like it, but it's not.

Haakon7 wrote:
Vrikk wrote:

I want a modern Bushido Blade. But not II. Please lord, not number two!

Updated graphics, more maps, more fights, more weapons, and more characters to choose from. Half the fun of that game was just running for miles on end only to leap off a bridge and slice your opponent through the head with a katana while he wasn't looking. Of course, that may not have done well for my "honorable kills" record.. but it was fun. And who cares if it wasn't fair? There was a freaking guy with a gun that one-shots you. IN A FEUDAL FIGHTING GAME.

Yes. Genius, Vrikk.

Though I didn't think two was as bad. :D

Why have a hamburger when you can have steak?

I want an official Autoduel Online Game...and I want it to be a MMORPG.

I want it to have a full fledged FP engine with real time combat ala Hellgate:London and a Driving engine with real time physics and deforming cars. I want real time destructible environment with included physics engine. i.e. if I rocket blast a chunk of wall onto someone or someones car I want to actually see it happen.. and crush or dent (depending on the car) the car and surrounding environment.

I want it to have quests and PVE but at the same time a fully PVP environment.. perhaps PVP zones? not battlegrounds though.. it should be seemless.. perhaps simply far enough outside of town areas it becomes PVP. I want the game to have ongoing Autoduel Championships.. with weight classes etc.. you'd have to mark down the time and drive yourself to the arena.. sign in.. whatever but it happens in real time.. you can walk in and be a spectator as well.

The game should be huge.. I'd say perhaps 1/4 scale of the USA.. so if it takes you 4 hours to drive from Philly to Pitt. it takes you 1 hour in game time (provided nothing happens along the way).

So thus because its huge.. everyone is just on one server.. and the wealthy can pay for say an automated Train that takes them from coast to coast at an even faster rate.

The game should be so open ended and dynamic that pretty much everything happens once.. and one time only.. so the players themselves write (and act) the history. Clan Support yadda yadda.. oh man I could go on and on.

I want a multiplayer RPG where you get some sort of mech or powered armor thing, but where much of your effectiveness comes from your pilot skills. Hell, make it a robotech or BSG-style thing, where each server is a big SDF or Battlestar and each of the players is assigned to it. Cross-server PvP consists of the two actual servers slogging it out. If your snazzy ship is destroyed, it's destroyed, but you keep all of your pilot skills and maybe get the chance to be assigned to a completely different sort of craft. It should be relatively easy to change servers or spin population off into other servers. Maybe the big guilds get their own hanger decks or capital ships...

So that's all pretty standard stuff, but here's my stupid idea - grouping consists of your robots combining together, like Voltron or some transformers. You're massively more powerful, but you're a big target and you need to work together.

Layer all that with some shipside socialization and crafting opportunities, and I think it could be pretty cool.

I also really want to play a game that's a personality-focused game where you run the equivalent of an X-Com lab.

TheGameguru wrote:

alot of cool stuff

I want what he said, but I also want you to be able to get out of the car and leg it if you want or be able to ride shotgun in another person's car. Pretty much I do not want a game where my vehicle is my character when I'm outside a city.

I want Twinkle Star Sprites on XBLA.

Edwin wrote:

I want Twinkle Star Sprites on XBLA.

Me too. How I ache for the day where I might yell into my headset, "Nanja Manja, bitches!" *sigh*

KaterinLHC wrote:
Edwin wrote:

I want Twinkle Star Sprites on XBLA.

Me too. How I ache for the day where I might yell into my headset, "Nanja Manja, bitches!" *sigh*

I'm going to have to think up a new Halo 2 game variant just so I can name it Nanja Manja.

KaterinLHC wrote:
Edwin wrote:

I want Twinkle Star Sprites on XBLA.

Me too. How I ache for the day where I might yell into my headset, "Nanja Manja, bitches!" *sigh*

We can do it! We just need someone who knows C# and can use XNA.

Brizahd wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

alot of cool stuff

I want what he said, but I also want you to be able to get out of the car and leg it if you want or be able to ride shotgun in another person's car. Pretty much I do not want a game where my vehicle is my character when I'm outside a city.

of course.. thats why I said it would have to have 2 engines.. a fully featured FP engine and a driving engine.

TheGameguru wrote:
Brizahd wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

alot of cool stuff

I want what he said, but I also want you to be able to get out of the car and leg it if you want or be able to ride shotgun in another person's car. Pretty much I do not want a game where my vehicle is my character when I'm outside a city.

of course.. thats why I said it would have to have 2 engines.. a fully featured FP engine and a driving engine.

Why yes you did. My bad, not sure how I missed that? Anyway I still want to be able to have a bunch of my friends riding shotgun with me in one car. Shooting out of windows, sunroof, and turrets maybe.

A Sherlock Holmes detective style game set in a persistent world where the mysteries are not scripted, but rather acted out by an AI. The AI character could just be programmed to try and obtain the things of highest value in game, at all costs, without being discovered.

You then have to figure out which avatar the AI has decided to use this time to commit the crime.

A Descent game (ala 1 or 2; not Freespace - although, that would be good too).

Descent was a phenomenal multiplayer game with a strong community. But it suffered from two serious problems:

  • Controls - People treated it like its contemporaries: FPSs like Quake. People new to the game used a keyboard and mouse, which didn't lend itself well to the additional dimension of movement. A good joystick with lots of buttons and hat-switches was near-mandatory. Here's the setup I had and I still could have used more buttons:
    IMAGE(http://www.chproducts.com/retail/throttles/proth_lg.jpg)IMAGE(http://www.chproducts.com/retail/joysticks/flightstick_pro_lg.jpg)
  • Vertigo - Moving in a confined space with complete freedom of movement and no gravity is disorienting. Add the fact that absolute up and down have no meaning, and the result can be vertiginous.

Possible solutions:

  • Controls - Today's console controllers are more complex than the gamepads back in the day, but I'm not sure they're sufficient. The PS3 six-axis sounds promising, but I've never used one.
  • Vertigo - Dramamine, bitch

How about a MMO game where doing some RL grind get's you in game benefits?

E.G.
A user buys loot, or upgrades/whatever from the publisher for real cash, or other players for in-game currency, or makes them with his character skills. He can then set up his own NPC point to offer this stuff in exchange for the completion of a quest of their own definition:

A user can leave a quest open, such as "Proof read this 12,000 word .pdf by this Friday and be rewarded with a new mount"
or, "Can someone write me some VB code to do x,y & z - phat lewt up for grabs!"

I just can't help but feel that if all the willing grinding going on in the world could be harnessed for something, anything, useful there'd be real gold in them thar hills.

There's a MMO outsourcing business model...right..on the...edge..of my...consciousness. I just can't seem to bring it into mental focus at the moment.

Baggz wrote:

How about a MMO game where doing some RL grind get's you in game benefits?

E.G.
A user buys loot, or upgrades/whatever from the publisher for real cash, or other players for in-game currency, or makes them with his character skills. He can then set up his own NPC point to offer this stuff in exchange for the completion of a quest of their own definition:

A user can leave a quest open, such as "Proof read this 12,000 word .pdf by this Friday and be rewarded with a new mount"
or, "Can someone write me some VB code to do x,y & z - phat lewt up for grabs!"

I just can't help but feel that if all the willing grinding going on in the world could be harnessed for something, anything, useful there'd be real gold in them thar hills.

There's a MMO outsourcing business model...right..on the...edge..of my...consciousness. I just can't seem to bring it into mental focus at the moment. :(

And so the circle is complete.

We used to just emulate what used to be normal daily tedium for the average person, and now we're adding TPS cover sheets. Swell.

I'd like to see a mmo fighting game where you would have to actually fight other players, and the environment much like you would in soul calibur/rune for example. I'd like a robust character creation system that would allow for you to choose from multiple fighting styles, and fighting moves as well as special moves like say fireballs, ect.

On a different tangent it would be neat if someone would make a game that used real passing of time to do game turns, much like some of the text games I use to play on the net do. For example each a real life day is equal to one in game month. Every real life hour is equal to one in game day. It isn't a game you sit down and play for hours on end, but more like an e-mail that you log in and check whats new. So I picture a huge server of people all making accounts and ruling over a country or a planet and choosing how that is developed in real time. Waging wars, and making alliances all would take time to do. The text based games are fun, but with graphics it just seems it would be off the hook. A huge part of the game is the social aspect where you can either try and go it alone, or work with other people.

Brizahd wrote:

On a different tangent it would be neat if someone would make a game that used real passing of time to do game turns, much like some of the text games I use to play on the net do. For example each a real life day is equal to one in game month. Every real life hour is equal to one in game day. It isn't a game you sit down and play for hours on end, but more like an e-mail that you log in and check whats new. So I picture a huge server of people all making accounts and ruling over a country or a planet and choosing how that is developed in real time. Waging wars, and making alliances all would take time to do. The text based games are fun, but with graphics it just seems it would be off the hook. A huge part of the game is the social aspect where you can either try and go it alone, or work with other people.

Another thing I've already seen in UO private shards. Those things were pretty cool -- Perhaps I should not have destroyed them.

wordsmythe wrote:
Baggz wrote:

How about a MMO game where doing some RL grind get's you in game benefits?

E.G.
A user buys loot, or upgrades/whatever from the publisher for real cash, or other players for in-game currency, or makes them with his character skills. He can then set up his own NPC point to offer this stuff in exchange for the completion of a quest of their own definition:

A user can leave a quest open, such as "Proof read this 12,000 word .pdf by this Friday and be rewarded with a new mount"
or, "Can someone write me some VB code to do x,y & z - phat lewt up for grabs!"

I just can't help but feel that if all the willing grinding going on in the world could be harnessed for something, anything, useful there'd be real gold in them thar hills.

There's a MMO outsourcing business model...right..on the...edge..of my...consciousness. I just can't seem to bring it into mental focus at the moment. :(

And so the circle is complete.

We used to just emulate what used to be normal daily tedium for the average person, and now we're adding TPS cover sheets. Swell.

I'm just grinding for my epic red swingline stapler.

wordsmythe wrote:
Brizahd wrote:

yadda yadda yadda

Another thing I've already seen in UO private shards. Those things were pretty cool -- Perhaps I should not have destroyed them. :twisted:

I bet you missed a few Omnimpotent One so neener neener! I remember hearing about free UO servers back in the day, but never really checked them out. I just didn't expect much from them. Apparently I was wrong, and now I'll never know...