Bonds Reportedly Failed Amphetamine Test

"SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds' reported positive test for amphetamines last season could be another snag in contract negotiations with the San Francisco Giants. . . According to the report, Bonds failed an amphetamines test in 2006, then blamed it on a teammate. The [Daily News] reported that when first informed of the positive result, Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from utilityman Mark Sweeney's locker."

Bizarre. What did he do, just see the pills there and say to himself, "I got to have some of those."

Greenies? That's the best they can hang on him?

I have a mental picture of Bonds stomping through the lockerroom screaming "BONDS EAT!".

Rat Boy wrote:

Greenies? That's the best they can hang on him?

Hey, they got Al Capone on tax evation.

./shrug who cares... he's good as a baseball player, horrible as a human being... but he brings in the $$. And that my friends is all that really matters in the game of life.

Oh, and Vector.. what the HELL is that avatar of yours?

PAR

par wrote:

./shrug who cares... he's good as a baseball player, horrible as a human being...

If it was tax evasion or weed, I'd agree. But if speed gives him an advantage, it's an issue. Does speed give someone an advantage in sports? That's not a rhetorical question, btw. I've never played sports on speed.

Seeing the schedule sometimes has you playing 30 straight days, speed would give you that energy you need to keep performing. It's insane that owners want it controlled, yet demand players to perform like that. Then again, the players to make untold millions upon millions of dollars for playing a game.

Funkenpants wrote:
par wrote:

./shrug who cares... he's good as a baseball player, horrible as a human being...

If it was tax evasion or weed, I'd agree. But if speed gives him an advantage, it's an issue. Does speed give someone an advantage in sports? That's not a rhetorical question, btw. I've never played sports on speed.

PRoblem is, even if he is guilty, you have to test positive twice to reap the disciplinary whirlwind. Quote teh ESPN...

Baseball banned the uppers for the first time starting last season. A player is not identified until after failing two amphetamines tests, which also results in a 25-game suspension. The first failed steroids test, by comparison, is a 50-game suspension.

A first amphetamines offense, however, does require six additional drug tests over the following six months.

So it makes him look bad, sure. That's about it.

MaxShrek wrote:

Seeing the schedule sometimes has you playing 30 straight days, speed would give you that energy you need to keep performing. It's insane that owners want it controlled, yet demand players to perform like that. Then again, the players to make untold millions upon millions of dollars for playing a game.

Obviously it didn't work, given the days off he took and how lethargic he was in the outfield. Hit anything towards him last season and you were guaranteed at least a double. Conventional thinking is that he was taking some kind of diet pills to get rid of the flab he had been building up after his last knee operation.

par wrote:

Oh, and Vector.. what the HELL is that avatar of yours?

Lionel the Lion-Faced man.

Stephan Bibrowsky was born in Poland in 1890 to normal parents. He suffered from hypertrichosia.Six-inch-long hair covered his body. He was discovered by a German man named Meyer when he was four years old and became famous throughout Europe where he gained the nickname of Lionel the Lion-Faced Man. When her mother was pregnant, said the story, she saw her husband lacerated by a lion. He then traveled to America where he was a featured attraction with Barnum and Bailey. He died in 1932 in Italy. Far from being exhibited as a beast, he wore often the best clothes to show that under his hairs he was a litterate and enjoyable person that spoke five languages.

At what point are they going to have some balls and decree this man will NOT be listed as breaking Aaron's record?

When they catch him red-handed. Short of that, they risk the possibility of years of embarrassing litigation that will probably end with him winning.