Building a gaming PC 1/04/07 HELP!

Sorry I haven't been in here recently. I got your message over Live Brae, but I got it right before going to bed one night and forgot the next day.

Given your needs i think I would probably skip on an SLI board and get an actual intel 965/975 chipset mobo. If you're worried about video upgrades in the future... well you'll want to upgrade past even dual 7600's anyway and there's plenty of singlecard options that can beat out a lot of SLI setups.

The Asus P5B comes to mind as a nice motherboard option. It runs about $120 I think.

Or, if you are semi set on a dual videocard solution someday in the future, get one of the 975x boards with dual x16 PCI-E slots and just get ATI cards and go crossfire instead.

I think the best priced option there is the ABIT AW9D but it's priced a bit higher. Around $170ish I think.

Thin J!!! Hey I know everyone is busy and I have weeks to figure it out, Now that I'm spending 1000.00 bucks.
I'm trying to save money any way I can so the SLi card seemed like the best oppion for the price. I see what you are saying about the SLI cards and the one I picked is cheap at like 70 bucks,but has enough little extra's that I was hoping I could use it alittle longer before upgrading. The onboard audio I like and seemed like I could get away with using it with not having to upgrade it for awhile. That is if I can't afford the audio card I wanted for a month or two. I don't know how good the Onboard audio will be or which one is better so Maybe I should look into that this week.

Thin_J wrote:

Or, if you are semi set on a dual videocard solution someday in the future, get one of the 975x boards with dual x16 PCI-E slots and just get ATI cards and go crossfire instead.

I think the best priced option there is the ABIT AW9D but it's priced a bit higher. Around $170ish I think.

I liked this idea and was going this way, but the price for a GOOD crossfire board and ATI card to start me off was putting me over my limit so I went SLI. If you can change things around so I can do this under my limit and save money some where else then I will. THAT IS IF you think I'll get better system performance going that way instead of the ASUS P5B LGA 775 board or one like it..

I hope you have time to put something together next week at work for me. I would love to see what you come up with.

So the 500w PSU is ok for this setup right?

I just want the best system performance I can get for under my price limit so if you think I should look at totally different boards then that is what I will do.

Thanks J and to all the others who are helping.

Update, I looked at the ABIT AW9D LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard and wow it's nice. Damn you J, I think it would be the way to go for me if I can afford it....

Well I'm actually at work right now, but I won't be at a computer long enough for any single period of time to do anything.

Um, so is $1,000 your new ceiling or are you thinking more like around a thousand, so a bit below or teensy bit above is ok? Just checking here

Thin J I said under thousand!!!!! So teensy bit above would be ok if I get a great system.

Hehe, what is a teensy bit?

Yoyoson wrote:

Hehe, what is a teensy bit?

Teensy is not much more. Understand now?HeHeHe

I would really like to stay under 1000.00

Well the motherboard has me stomped. I think I'm going to go with the ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A because it's only 70 bucks (with the rebate) with good performance still. Will I really see a big difference if I spend twice as much on the
ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI
or the ASUS P5B.
OR go crazy and get the
ABIT AW9D LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX
or ABIT AW9D-MAX? This is what I want the most help with. I do want great on board sound with a optional out. I'm new getting into the pc gaming world so overclocking is not a big deal. I just want great onboard sound and the best system performance out of the box.

Cheaper SLI board or no SLI is the question.

Braehole originally wrote:

Ok, How about 500 bucks.

Braehole a little later wrote:

I talked my wife into letting me spend $800.00 bucks

Braehole last we heard wrote:

I would really like to stay under 1000.00

I like the way this thread is headed

pol wrote:
Braehole originally wrote:

Ok, How about 500 bucks.

Braehole a little later wrote:

I talked my wife into letting me spend $800.00 bucks

Braehole last we heard wrote:

I would really like to stay under 1000.00

I like the way this thread is headed :)

It's always this way. My rig started out as a $1200 mid-range value rig. Then over the course of a year it kind of mutated, went through like 5 or 6 different upgrades, changed platforms from AMD to Intel, Saw three different sets of videocards, and at the moment there's probably $2500 worth of hardware in it.

You're stumbling your way onto a slippery slope my friend. It's inevitable

Ok, well just help e pick a good mother board damn it, Give me your top 5 or something,Under 150 dollars and SLI or not. I'm going crazy trying to pick one.

Calm down there 'hoss.

You've made some good selections already. There's nothing wrong with the P5N or the P5N-E boards. The P5N-E in particular is a nice balance of current features and price.

The AW9D is probably not the best choice for you, given your urge to save as much money as possible.

The ECS does look like a good deal but I have no experience with them as a brand. I probably wouldn't order it myself, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It's just my own brand-biased view. I can't help it. I'm wary of trying brands I've never used before.

I like the P5N-E best of the ones so far. It gives you the best options for future upgrades too since it has Quadcore support.

I might just go with the AW9D anyway because of the future upgrades I can do with it. I like the sound card that comes with it so hopfully I won't have to buy another sound card and I'll save money right there. There's also a deal for a coolmaster 450w psu with the case I picked. Then I would save there too.

Wow, it's uncanny how much the escalation of your gaming rig budget mirrors mine. I'll always end up spending more than i intended to starting out. Glad to be in the club:)

Braehole wrote:

I might just go with the AW9D anyway because of the future upgrades I can do with it. I like the sound card that comes with it so hopfully I won't have to buy another sound card and I'll save money right there. There's also a deal for a coolmaster 450w psu with the case I picked. Then I would save there too.

It looks like a solid board.

One thing to consider is that it appears to only support regular Core 2 Duo, not the C2 Extreme or the Quad series chips.

If they haven't changed that with a BIOS update then it does limit your upgrade potential some. Just something to consider. The MAX version, of course, does support the Core 2 Extreme chips. No Quad though.

jonnypolite wrote:

Wow, it's uncanny how much the escalation of your gaming rig budget mirrors mine. I'll always end up spending more than i intended to starting out. Glad to be in the club:)

Welcome to the club Jonny:)

Thin_J wrote:

If they haven't changed that with a BIOS update then it does limit your upgrade potential some. Just something to consider. The MAX version, of course, does support the Core 2 Extreme chips. No Quad though.

Lets look around for a board that supports Quad with great audio then.

Braehole wrote:

Lets look around for a board that supports Quad with great audio then.

They'll be more expensive than the AW9D.

Actually, the only one I can find with both quadcore support and the same seperate riser card for audio style setup as the AW9D is the Asus Striker Extreme board that weighs in as one of the hugest ripoffs in computer component history with a price over $400.

There are some good boards in the lower price range that feature quadcore support but the audio on them all is the standard built in stuff.

Thin_J wrote:

Actually, the only one I can find with both quadcore support and the same seperate riser card for audio style setup as the AW9D is the Asus Striker Extreme board that weighs in as one of the hugest ripoffs in computer component history with a price over $400.

I was just looking at that board and it did have 2 x PCI Express x16 slot,support NVIDIA SLI technology,at full x16,x16 speed(blue) 1 x PCI Express x16, at x8 speed(middle) but 400.00 bucks is not going to work for me.... Maybe I should go with the ASUS P5B LGA 775 Intel P965 Express board (at 126.00) because it supports Quad and buy an audio card if I don't like the P5B's AC97 Codec Audio Chipset, But it only has one PCI Express x16.
Which way will be a better way to go? Support of 2 graphics cards or Quad CPU for later down the road?
Is there a big performance difference between the Intel P965, and the Intel 975X Motherboard? Also should I wait a couple of weeks for Vista to come out and just buy that, or get XP now and use the Vista coupon? Is there a price difference?

Braehole wrote:

Which way will be a better way to go? Support of 2 graphics cards or Quad CPU for later down the road?
Is there a big performance difference between the Intel P965, and the Intel 975X Motherboard? Also should I wait a couple of weeks for Vista to come out and just buy that, or get XP now and use the Vista coupon? Is there a price difference?

1: Personal Preference. There's really no need whatsoever to get a dual videocard solution though.
2: There performance differences between P965 and 975X are pretty much insignificant.
3: I personally wouldn't bother with Vista until something you want to play comes out that requires it. But then the only things that will require Vista will also require DX10 and thus a new videocard. Either way.. I'd just go XP for now.

Thin J, I love you man. I was thinking the same things and you have been backing me up with my chioces from the start. The more I look into Mobo's,the more I'm starting to understand what I really need and don't need. I really just need the best value for my money Mobo that will do Quad so I can up grade in the future. Thanks Man

Ok, now I'm going with the ASUS P5B for 126.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16813131030

Now my question is about the memory. The MOBO said it takes 1.8v but I see reviews of people using up to 2.1v memory? Do I have to change Voltage in the Bio's for 2.1v? I dont want to mess with things right off the bat so should I only look at 1.8v? Is there any other things I need to know?

----Here's my set up now from newegg.com----

1 COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $49.99

1 ASUS P5B LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - $126.99

1 eVGA 256-P2-N554-AX Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - $139.99

1 Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - $223.00

1 Patriot 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PSD21G8002 - $109.99

1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $94.99

1 SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black IDE $30.99

1 Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista - OEM
$139.99 $139.99

Subtotal: $915.93

I left out the PSU because the case coming with COOLMAX CT-450N ATX12V 450W Power Supply for an extra 15.00 bucks or should I get a 500w - 550w?

Will a 450w COOLMAX CT-450N be good enough or do I need more power!

Braehole wrote:

Will a 450w COOLMAX CT-450N be good enough or do I need more power!

With the hardware you have picked a 450w would likely be fine, but that's another one of those things where if you're planning to upgrade even remotely soon you might as well get a better one right from the start so you don't have to spend more on another PSU later.

Thin_J wrote:

With the hardware you have picked a 450w would likely be fine, but that's another one of those things where if you're planning to upgrade even remotely soon you might as well get a better one right from the start so you don't have to spend more on another PSU later.

So go with a 550w is what your saying I should do.