Finished Any Games Lately?

I have beat Halo 3: ODST (FAN-F*CKING-TASTIC game), Halo 3 (less fun story, but the maps were solid), and am now onto the first actual game in the series I've not played... Halo 4.

And, uh, first impressions are not kind. The story feels very tacked on (i.e. "Hey we need a reason to make another game and not have it just be more Covenant you fight"), and the actual new enemies are not that fun.

Also, making Cortana sexualized feels weird and creepy. I don't care about her that much, so stop making this some sort of pseudo-love story with a blue AI lady.

Are my first impressions wrong? Does it get better? I still need to play Halo 5 before I start Infinite, and I worry things continue to trail downhill.

I just finished The Order: 1886. Funny how this game got slammed by so many critics and consumers back when it dropped early in the PS4's life. I actually found it to be very entertaining and just long enough to feel satisfying without overstaying its welcome. The story was serviceable, if not good, and the ending left enough of a hook for a sequel without it feeling like a cheap cop-out. Knowing that there won't be a sequel does make me wonder how it would have all ended story-wise, but I can imagine many things based on what was hinted at in the narrative.

Critics and gamers can be fools, especially when they just seem to be swept by the wave of whatever trend is hitting hard at any given time, and I feel like this was one of those casualties of the fickle temperament of the industry and medium.

Who knows, maybe one day...

Vrikk wrote:

I have beat Halo 3: ODST (FAN-F*CKING-TASTIC game), Halo 3 (less fun story, but the maps were solid), and am now onto the first actual game in the series I've not played... Halo 4.

And, uh, first impressions are not kind. The story feels very tacked on (i.e. "Hey we need a reason to make another game and not have it just be more Covenant you fight"), and the actual new enemies are not that fun.

Also, making Cortana sexualized feels weird and creepy. I don't care about her that much, so stop making this some sort of pseudo-love story with a blue AI lady.

Are my first impressions wrong? Does it get better? I still need to play Halo 5 before I start Infinite, and I worry things continue to trail downhill.

I've heard to play the Halo's leading up to Infinite, especially 5, on easier difficulties as Heroic and such are not worth the time investment / frustration. I've only played 1 & Reach on the MCC, Infinite, and the original releases of 1, 2, & most of 3 previously.

Didn't get on with The Surge or Outriders so installed Metro Exodus and finally got through that game. Really enjoyed it, end of the trilogy and a bit more open world than the other games.

Finished Psychonauts 2 last week. I really enjoyed it, and thought it was even better than the first one. It's one of those quirky games that aren't for everybody, but it's right up my alley. Like the first one, I also quickly gave up on trying to 100% the game, as there's way too much to get. I appreciate that sort of thing extends the game for people who want to stay in the world a while, but for me it's on to the next game.

Poppinfresh wrote:

Finished Psychonauts 2 last week. I really enjoyed it, and thought it was even better than the first one. It's one of those quirky games that aren't for everybody, but it's right up my alley. Like the first one, I also quickly gave up on trying to 100% the game, as there's way too much to get. I appreciate that sort of thing extends the game for people who want to stay in the world a while, but for me it's on to the next game.

Best game of this year, right next to Inscryption.

For some reason, I didn't have a lot of hope for Psychonauts 2 (I don't know why, I love most of what Double Fine does), but it really blew it out of the water for me (water pun intentional.)

It got rid of the bad controls of the first game, and expanded on just about everything that made the Xbox original such a great little gem that not enough people played.

Finished Kena: Bridge of Spirits. This is a Zelda-lite game which heavy on combat and exploration. I can't state how beautiful the game is. I've posted a few of the in-game screencaps in the "What are you playing this weekend" thread. The music is right up there with the graphics. It's one the few times I've wished I paid extra for the Deluxe version to get it.

The game was so much fun to play up until the final boss battle. For some reason they made that battle so much more difficult than all the other fights. It must have taken me over 20 tries (over two days) before I finished it. The final battle is done in 3 phases and then there are 2 additional sub-phases between the main ones. It takes a while to get through those phases and if you die at any time you have to start over. It's so frustrating. I was swearing at the game and had to walk away more than once. I had contemplated just quitting.

It soured the ending of the game for me as I was in a bad mood rather than relieved when I finally finished the final boss. Up until that point the game was excellent. So a single misstep from the devs at the end there.

Otherwise this is an excellent game and the final battle shouldn't subtract from the other 19hrs of gameplay.

Hopefully this gets a sequel.

Here's a few last in-game screencaps I took with the games photo tool.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/qMKVwJ2.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/oUjhzmj.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/BeInkEr.jpg)

Crawley wrote:

Finished Kena: Bridge of Spirits...The game was so much fun to play up until the final boss battle...

Ugh; I've found myself hate-playing through an impressive number of games in the last year, where I really wanted a button to skip through the parts that made the game worse to get to the parts that are enjoyable (in Guardians of the Galaxy, pretty much all the combat and the first-half-plus of dealing with Rocket, who was so toxic in my playthrough that if he was a co-worker IRL I would have quit, loss of healthcare be damned). So frustrating when there are parts you like barred from you by parts that make you dislike the game more every minute you have to deal with them.

More things from the steam sale finished off:

The Ascent - This was a great time. Utterly gorgeous twin-stick shooter mayhem, with writing that won't win any awards, but is way better than it needed to be. It might've even landed on my GOTY list if I'd played it earlier.

Styx: Shards of Darkness - I played the first one as another couple of bucks impulse buy about a year ago, and it was an ok but janky stealth game. This one was a big improvement - everything felt much more fluid and responsive, levels have more options, and you have a ton of abilities to tackle them with, and some novel obstacles - those damn dwarves and their sensitive noses. It's still a big problem that I don't care at all about the story, but I had fun just navigating the levels in themselves. Well, until the last boss-fight one anyway.

Through the first couple weeks of January I've made it through:

Inscryption - Not much else needs to be said about it that hasn't already, really a great experience overall.

Dark Pictures - House of Ashes/Little Hope - These experiences are decent palate cleansers between games. More interactive movie than game, with some choice intertwined to keep you engaged. These stories were decent, I had more attachment to Little Hope because it plays like a horror movie.

Deus Ex - Mankind Divided - Hadn't played any of these games before it was chosen by the CRPG club. I enjoyed the time with it, although I have very little patience for stealth. I also have no shame in lowering the difficulty from time to time when blasting my way through a level proved problematic.

Just finished Star Wars: The Old Republic storyline with Shades of Oblivion storyline content.

I gotta admit, as an MMO, SW:TOR is clearly dated but for some reason always enjoyable to come back to.

As a storytelling device, I don't know if there's a better MMO-based storyline out there. Sure, WoW has its moments, but TOR does such a wonderful job of putting the player at the absolute center of the story instead of a passive viewer or also-ran participant in the lore, that you feel a one on one connection with the characters and there's actually some long-term gameplay mechanics that make the decisions you make in dialogue trees meaningful. It really emphasizes the RPG aspect of the game wonderfully.

Since it's an MMO, the story that TOR is laying out is by no means over, but I have to admit there are about 3 or 4 major milestones in the plot of TOR where you feel a true sense of closure and satisfaction rather than just a pause for the next expansion or update.

Up next, a few things: HUMANKINDTM, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, Frostpunk, Half:Life Alyx, Surviving Mars, Neir: Automoata, and there's always the odd Wildermyth adventure to follow.

Budo wrote:

Just finished Star Wars: The Old Republic storyline with Shades of Oblivion storyline content.

I gotta admit, as an MMO, SW:TOR is clearly dated but for some reason always enjoyable to come back to.

As a storytelling device, I don't know if there's a better MMO-based storyline out there. Sure, WoW has its moments, but TOR does such a wonderful job of putting the player at the absolute center of the story instead of a passive viewer or also-ran participant in the lore, that you feel a one on one connection with the characters and there's actually some long-term gameplay mechanics that make the decisions you make in dialogue trees meaningful. It really emphasizes the RPG aspect of the game wonderfully.

Since it's an MMO, the story that TOR is laying out is by no means over, but I have to admit there are about 3 or 4 major milestones in the plot of TOR where you feel a true sense of closure and satisfaction rather than just a pause for the next expansion or update.

Up next, a few things: HUMANKINDTM, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, Frostpunk, Half:Life Alyx, Surviving Mars, Neir: Automoata, and there's always the odd Wildermyth adventure to follow.

Budo, I'm sure I'm not the only one who really appreciates your capsule reviews.