New TV Season Thoughts

Sorry to say that both my wife and I are pretty disappointed in this season of Veronica Mars. It got off on the wrong foot with the weirding up the previously awesome intro music, and the uninteresting new characters, unlikely plot elements, and surprisingly unpleasant storylines have us thinking about moving it down the Tivo Season Pass list.

It's especially sad because my wife was the biggest VM fan out there - reading every blog, hunting down every spoiler she could find, creating her own desktop theme from cast photos... sigh. Rob Thomas, why hast thou forsaken us?!

Yes, the intro music change is kinda disappointing. I can't say anything else is really bothering me.

Friday Night Lights' ratings have apparently been rather poor, which is a damn travesty. It's easily one of the very best new shows.

KillerTomato wrote:

Sorry to say that both my wife and I are pretty disappointed in this season of Veronica Mars. It got off on the wrong foot with the weirding up the previously awesome intro music, and the uninteresting new characters, unlikely plot elements, and surprisingly unpleasant storylines have us thinking about moving it down the Tivo Season Pass list.

It's especially sad because my wife was the biggest VM fan out there - reading every blog, hunting down every spoiler she could find, creating her own desktop theme from cast photos... sigh. Rob Thomas, why hast thou forsaken us?!

That's interesting, because this season feels stronger to me than S2 already...

I really like the new Intro Music for Veronica Mars, and I also think this season has started pretty strong.

Friday Night Lights is still up in the air for me. I don't have much faith in the show so far and was pretty pissed off they ended the show this week before the actual game. They could have cut out a lot of the bullsh*t scenes where we yet again see all the crazy towns folk pressuring the coach and his wife with their opinions, the first episode got that point across just fine. Also who's brilliant idea was it to air a show called Friday Night Lights on a Tuesday!

Gaald wrote:

was pretty pissed off they ended the show this week before the actual game.

I can see that, though if they plan on running an entire season, they can't have a game each week. Unless they make the show about two full high school football seasons.

Also who's brilliant idea was it to air a show called Friday Night Lights on a Tuesday!

Because if you air it on Friday, the intended audience is out watching football!

Man, CSI: Miami just keeps on getting dumber.

Heroes seems to be slipping into the "LOST" mode of artificially dragging things on while they try to think of something. The 4400 was better at being Heroes than Heroes is.

shihonage wrote:

Heroes seems to be slipping into the "LOST" mode of artificially dragging things on while they try to think of something. The 4400 was better at being Heroes than Heroes is.

Very true. And frankly, the voice-overs in Heroes are getting on my nerves.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
shihonage wrote:

Heroes seems to be slipping into the "LOST" mode of artificially dragging things on while they try to think of something. The 4400 was better at being Heroes than Heroes is.

Very true. And frankly, the voice-overs in Heroes are getting on my nerves.

Yeah, mine too. Everyone nowadays tries to have a deep meaningful voiceover at the end of the show, but the only show that pulled it off decently in recent memory was Desperate Housewives, and only in the first season.

Other shows usually fall into the "Outer Limits voiceover" cheesiness category.

Update on the Wire: Season 4. Best thing evar in the history of stuff.

Desram wrote:

Update on the Wire: Season 4. Best thing evar in the history of stuff.

The Wire does stay pretty amazing. However, I miss Jimmy. I hope in season 5 he becomes a major character again.

Also, after seeing episode 3 of Dexter, I'd really encourage other people to start watching it. It would break my heart if it didn't get through an entire season at this point. I'm hoping they don't fall into a pattern of "detective work, kill random guy, detective work, hang out with the girlfriend" for every episode though.

unntrlaffinity wrote:

Also, after seeing episode 3 of Dexter, I'd really encourage other people to start watching it.

I watched the first 10 minutes of the pilot episode, with the old tired "darkness, some guy in a room being tortured" thing, and then I remembered - hey, isn't that the show where the protagonist used to be a murderer himself ? And then I turned it off.

Interview with Veronica Mars' Kristen Bell:

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1...

shihonage wrote:
unntrlaffinity wrote:

Also, after seeing episode 3 of Dexter, I'd really encourage other people to start watching it.

I watched the first 10 minutes of the pilot episode, with the old tired "darkness, some guy in a room being tortured" thing, and then I remembered - hey, isn't that the show where the protagonist used to be a murderer himself ? And then I turned it off.

I'm under the impression that's not the plot...although it might be "the same sport." /Jules

Fedaykin98 wrote:
shihonage wrote:
unntrlaffinity wrote:

Also, after seeing episode 3 of Dexter, I'd really encourage other people to start watching it.

I watched the first 10 minutes of the pilot episode, with the old tired "darkness, some guy in a room being tortured" thing, and then I remembered - hey, isn't that the show where the protagonist used to be a murderer himself ? And then I turned it off.

I'm under the impression that's not the plot...although it might be "the same sport." /Jules

He didn't used to be a murderer. He's more of a serial killer who kills serial killers. And that entire scene took less than two minutes, you should've stuck around for another, I don't know, seven. I'm loving the way Dexter interacts with different people. How he's maintaining relationships with his sister, girlfriend, co-workers. Other killers. And the future possibilities to complicate those relationships, like will his sister end up investigating one of his "projects"? Lots of strong performances by the actors in the show all around.

An example of what I mean with Dexter's inability to relate to people is that first scene with his sister. He's checking out the crime scene, and the other guy there says "Saw your sister. Man, she is looking hot!" and Dexter replies, "Well yeah, it's hot out here." I couldn't tell if he was joking or if he really didn't get what the guy meant. Stuff like that is gold in this show.

I can not for the life of me find episode six of the wire season 4.

I just had to skip it. I couldn't wait... I can't believe how long I'm going to have to wait for the next season now.

They're all out there. The only one that's hard to find is a true episode 10, and that's even in realmedia somewhere.

Season 4 was solid, but I think 2 is probably still my favorite. More Jimmy!

That man gets more pussy than humanly possible.

Enjoyed the whole season of Eureka. Sci-Fi started showing Threshold last Friday. I tivoed it and it looks pretty good. Also, Carla Gugine is SO HOT!

Sci-Fi started showing Threshold last Friday. I tivoed it and it looks pretty good. Also, Carla Gugine is SO HOT!

Enjoy the eyecandy while you can... Threshold only lasted one season.

Yeah, and it didn't really have an ending, either. Great promise, plus Brent Spiner, and Carla G. (formerly seen in The One) who has a smart-woman kind of hotness to her. Pity.

Threshold didn't even get a real season. It was nixed during the pilot season.

I just saw the latest episode of Studio 60 on NBC's site, and I have to say, it's won me over. It's remarkable how many "celebs" are in it, but the two people that caught my attention were Amanda Peet and Sarah Paulson, because I remember them from a show way back when called "Jack & Jill", which myself and about six other people in the entire U.S. watched. It's funny how people's paths can cross, I wonder if that factored into the casting?

How is it doing, ratings wise? I'd like to see it go on. Before tonight I had written it off as "Friends 2: The Revenge" because of Matthew Perry.

My wife and I are enjoyng Studo 60 quite a bit.

While I think Amanda Peet is doing a good job, I still think she is too young for the part she is cast in. Otherwise, the show feels like it is hitting its stride. The pilot was great, but the the second episode was iffy. Since then it has really been a fun and interesting season. I have no idea how it is doing in the ratings. I hope it has legs.

Studio 60 has its own thread, guys.

Threshold was interesting. While it was moderately entertaining, it felt very shallow. A lot of flash and effects, not a lot of depth or thought.

Invasion, on the other hand, really seemed to be going somewhere. It opened up a whole lot of questions as to what makes a person who they are, and how it would all end.

Yeah, my interest on Threshold was fizzling when they cancelled it. Invasion just kept getting better though.

The best part? They're selling the Threshold, Surface, and Invasion Season One DVDs. Bastards.

Some thoughts from the past couple of nights of TVdom:

* The Unit - Summer Glau in a bikini, for the win! Mack dressed up as Betsy Ross, not so much.

* Boston Legal - You know, maybe they should have some kind of audience poll that decides who the killer in the big case storyarc is. Is it a.) the psycho kid with a mommy complex, b.) Quark, c.) the creepy PP, d.) Leela, e.) surprise killer Neelix?

* Sci Fi Investigates - So, in order to explain the mysteries of the universe, they send out a crime scene investigator, an archaeologist, a paranormal investigator, and Boston Rob. What, they wanted Richard Hatch but he's in prison?

* South Park - Niiiiiice.

* Ghost Hunters - Where's this hotel at? I want to see the ghost of a prostitute strip!

I love JERICHO.

I just hate every single character in the show.