Dwarf Fortress you sick temptress, you!

I just lost my first game of DF (after abandoning a few starter fortresses). My 14 dwarves all died of thirst. Summer hit and all the water dried up and I hadn't created a still. The poor, shrivelled buggers. If only I'd been warned before the first dwarf died.

Okay, I'm gonna give this another shot. Matul Remrit got me interested again. And plus, I too can't wait for Quintin to make a statue of me.

Are there updated video tutorials anywhere?

Captnduck has some videos covering the df 2010 stuff. Only reason I was able to get my head around the new military system at all.

My fort (Quintin carved statue of Prozac and all) is still alive and well, just living in the limbo that comes at sales time until I beat the pile of shame down to a more manageable level.

Sorry if this is covered earlier in the thread: If you start a new game in the same world where your previous fortress failed, is it possible to find the old fortress or its ruins? Or do you always start at the same point in time with each game?

ebarstad wrote:

Sorry if this is covered earlier in the thread: If you start a new game in the same world where your previous fortress failed, is it possible to find the old fortress or its ruins? Or do you always start at the same point in time with each game?

Yes, it's possible. It's the "reclaim fortress" option. As long as you're using the same world, the chronology is fixed. Your failed fortress(es) gets added to the world history.

About videos, boogle linked to one I believe a few pages back.

Montalban wrote:
ebarstad wrote:

Sorry if this is covered earlier in the thread: If you start a new game in the same world where your previous fortress failed, is it possible to find the old fortress or its ruins? Or do you always start at the same point in time with each game?

Yes, it's possible. It's the "reclaim fortress" option. As long as you're using the same world, the chronology is fixed. Your failed fortress(es) gets added to the world history.

Which is one of the awesome things about Dwarf Fortress. Sometimes new artifacts or engravings will refer to events in earlier fortresses. You can actually go back to it in adventure mode and explore, though I haven't done that since the move to 3D.

Gremlin wrote:
Montalban wrote:
ebarstad wrote:

Sorry if this is covered earlier in the thread: If you start a new game in the same world where your previous fortress failed, is it possible to find the old fortress or its ruins? Or do you always start at the same point in time with each game?

Yes, it's possible. It's the "reclaim fortress" option. As long as you're using the same world, the chronology is fixed. Your failed fortress(es) gets added to the world history.

Which is one of the awesome things about Dwarf Fortress. Sometimes new artifacts or engravings will refer to events in earlier fortresses. You can actually go back to it in adventure mode and explore, though I haven't done that since the move to 3D.

Be forewarned that it'll be a mess (items and furniture strewn about) and any unburied dwarfs will be ghosts (depending on their mood when they died, they can kill your new dwarfs) until they're either memorialized with a slab (done at a craftsdwarf shop) or buried in a coffin. On the plus side, any invaders on the map when you quit will remain, but be friendly.

Edit - Burrows will mess up cleaning up items. If you run into a lot of job cancellations due to items being inaccessible, delete any preexisting burrows, then redefine them.

I just read this article on the NYT and the makers live in Silverdale, like 5 minutes from here.

Great article. Apparently, the Museum of Modern Art has included Dwarf Fortress in a display this week. The curator had this to say:

“When you are playing Dwarf Fortress, you are God, and the world is talking back to you,” Antonelli said. Then she added, with a laugh, “And you are a very anal god.”
Eezy_Bordone wrote:

I just read this article on the NYT and the makers live in Silverdale, like 5 minutes from here.

I in my vanity for a new computer had drifted away from DF. This article has forced me back, a slave to Armok once again.

boogle, DF runs like a demon on the OCed Sandy Bridge i5, you're gonna be real happy with your purchase.

Gotta say the article makes Tarn sound a little... shall we say... eccentric? This perception is reinforced by his dialogues with his cat scamps in the Dwarf talk podcasts. But hey, I think he's done amazing things with his labour of love, even if it is heading in a direction I'm not a fan of with the Undead.

Prozac wrote:

even if it is heading in a direction I'm not a fan of with the Undead.

What is it you dislike about the inclusion of the undead?

Prozac wrote:

Gotta say the article makes Tarn sound a little... shall we say... eccentric? This perception is reinforced by his dialogues with his cat scamps in the Dwarf talk podcasts. But hey, I think he's done amazing things with his labour of love, even if it is heading in a direction I'm not a fan of with the Undead.

Man, he sounds like a bunch of math people I know. The eccentricities and seeing reflections of myself and my math friends and profs in him makes me love this game even more.
EDIT
A bear has survived my fighting pits and now takes his place of honor in the red pit in the dining hall, where further challengers may assault him for the pleasure of our humble dorfs. A goblin raid replenished the reserves of challengers, but Grol'tok the bear grows hungry for more challengers.

Actually, even though I absolutely loved the article, it's made me much less interested in DF. The game isn't really playable over a long period, because the bugs accumulate, and eventually things get too screwed up to be worth continuing. And the interface is dismal, and if anything, gets worse with each iteration.

Since he's expressed little interest in bug fixing or making a game that can actually play over the long haul, and he's explicitly said that he won't fix the UI until the game is done, but the game won't be done for twenty years, well -- I'm not sure I'm too interested in playing it anymore, and I'm certainly not going to give him any more money.

I read that NYT article yesterday; what surprised me most, was the makers turning down a $300,000 licensing option because they were afraid it would hinder the donations that fund the development (aka eccentric lifestyle).

I hadn't heard of Dwarf Fortress before yesterday and it's enough for me to give it a try.

Malor wrote:

Since he's expressed little interest in bug fixing or making a game that can actually play over the long haul, and he's explicitly said that he won't fix the UI until the game is done, but the game won't be done for twenty years, well -- I'm not sure I'm too interested in playing it anymore, and I'm certainly not going to give him any more money.

I have been following its development since it was released. Despite that, I have not played it for more than 30 minutes because of the atrocious interface. For all of these years, I have thought, "The interface will surely be reworked soon." It has never come to fruition. In fact, it has become more and more complicated with each iteration. Like you said, I do not think he will ever get around to doing anything with it.

ZaneRockfist wrote:
Prozac wrote:

even if it is heading in a direction I'm not a fan of with the Undead.

What is it you dislike about the inclusion of the undead?

Why do we need ghosts and vampires? Also it sounds like he's trying to do something with Magic, all totally unnecessary features that bloat the game further and create more bugs (like ghosts you can't get rid of that chew up FPS). I'd rather he got what he has to a semi workable state and put out bug fixes and only released new content every 12 months.

When I wrote that big spread on DF a few years ago for Games For Windows, I spent a lot of time on the phone with Tarn and Zach. Eccentric is absolutely the right word. I was stunned that apparently Tarn had let the reporter come and see his actual house, as I got heavy agoraphobia vibes from Tarn during the interviews for the article. Still, there's a mad genius to their work, and I'll continue to support them.

I do think they're smart enough to recognize that at some point they'll need to do a cleanup pass, and that they'll get a donation rush for doing so.

So when's that df 3ma coming out?

I thought feeding was next up, but I've been working through making vampires in the fortress harder to spot... they are practically shiny as it stands. They walk faster than mortal dwarves, and they have unusual world-gen-only skills and visible kill lists from historical victims numbering in the dozens. I'm disguising that stuff and adding assumed identities for critters to use, as an extension of the physical form stuff I was talking about in September. Vampires that are hiding their identity in your fortress will intentionally walk at normal speeds and their historical kill lists will be hidden, although you might spot them running fast if they are in your military and fighting with an opponent. I'm going to make immigrants come with more varied skill lists, possibly with some rust (the vampires have rusty skills at times, from world gen). You might also get some historical newcomers that aren't vampires. I'm sure there'll be remaining holes in the disguise, beyond what's intentionally there to help you out, but I'll try to catch the obvious ones I think to check. I've tried to keep the identities separate from their users, so you could have multiple critters use the same identity later on, either as a sequential hand-me-down or in competition at the same time.

Demons that impersonate gods have been updated to use identities, finally, so they'll actually put on a little act for you when you go to talk to them. The one I was testing impersonated a death/lust god named Bekat the Adorable Skull. Before it took over the human civilization, it used to live in a cave, and I found a book it wrote about the cave in the castle tower. The demons all have horrible personalities, so it was a mean little book. Zach thought it was being foolish -- I don't suppose its god disguise is a very good one, if it's going to complain about its old living arrangements like that.

Excellent! This game needed hidden vampire dwarves in your fort feasting on your workers! (I'm not being sarcastic)

Toady is so insane. Never a special case for hidey vampires, noooo. He needs a whole hidden identity subsystem.

Demons that impersonate gods have been updated to use identities, finally, so they'll actually put on a little act for you when you go to talk to them.

I think I need to play the adventure mode a little bit. That is some craziness that I am down with.

Hypatian wrote:

Toady is so insane. Never a special case for hidey vampires, noooo. He needs a whole hidden identity subsystem.

Well, he couldn't just add vampires either. He had to invent a whole curse system, and a mechanism for transmitting curses via blood, and some AI logic for immortality so people will get suspicious if you live too long. One of his dev logs was talking about testing vampiric infection by killing a vampire and then licking its blood up off the floor. The man is an insane genius.

Okay, now here's the thing. I'm an idiot!

I think you guys know of my Dwarf fortress proclivities.

On the off chance this is useful to someone else you can learn from my idiocy.

It turns out that if the fort is scattered with goblin corpses and they all have forbidden items if you press

d - b - c

you can define an area where everything in that area is claimed...

Now this is why I'm an idiot. for YEARS! I have manually be claiming each individual item, or doing it from the stocks screen.

I hope I saved someone some pain and frustration.

And, of course, all these new features will be severely buggy. He'll fix some of them, but leave many others just hanging, while zooming off to implement yet more buggy subsystems that nobody really cares about but him.

If you don't like it, clock to yourself, please.

Malor wrote:

And, of course, all these new features will be severely buggy. He'll fix some of them, but leave many others just hanging, while zooming off to implement yet more buggy subsystems that nobody really cares about but him.

I'm not sure this was clocking I think this is one of the reasons we all like this game, right?