Bill Gates stepping back from Microsoft

From CNN

At least he's keeping up with his charitable activities instead of sitting on his pile of money.

I believe with great wealth comes great responsibility...

A Peter Parker reference, maybe? Nice to see him keeping it geeky.

I believe with great wealth comes great responsibility... to keep it

I dont think anyone wealthy would disagree with him ;P

He's got the bucks to really throw serious cash at social problems. It's nice to see he and his wife aren't worried about leaving the kids billions and billions of dollars.

Saw an article in BusinessWeek about philanthropy, and they had a sidebar about how Steve Jobs never makes any list any year. It does mention that he might be making the donations anonymously, but when you're worth that much, you usually put your name to it. Makes for better PR, and Jobs has a rep of being an a-hole.

Hemidal wrote:

It's nice to see he and his wife aren't worried about leaving the kids billions and billions of dollars.

Gates has said that he and Melinda are leaving their children $10 million each (I remember reading this in an article, and the claim is echoed here). Which means they plan on giving away a WHOLE LOT of money in the years to come.

From the link: "Gates has always said that, like Carnegie, he will give away most of his fortune before he dies. He plans to make sure his children are well taken care of but doesn't want to leave them the burden of tremendous wealth."

Of course, it's easier to SAY such a thing than it is to DO it, but given his track record so far, I wouldn't bet against him holding to his word (it's also very smart of him to be saying this all these years, so the kids don't have any unreasonable expectations when it does come time)

*Legion* wrote:
Hemidal wrote:

It's nice to see he and his wife aren't worried about leaving the kids billions and billions of dollars.

Gates has said that he and Melinda are leaving their children $10 million each (I remember reading this in an article, and the claim is echoed here). Which means they plan on giving away a WHOLE LOT of money in the years to come.

From the link: "Gates has always said that, like Carnegie, he will give away most of his fortune before he dies. He plans to make sure his children are well taken care of but doesn't want to leave them the burden of tremendous wealth."

Of course, it's easier to SAY such a thing than it is to DO it, but given his track record so far, I wouldn't bet against him holding to his word (it's also very smart of him to be saying this all these years, so the kids don't have any unreasonable expectations when it does come time)

If I was one of his kids I'd start the lawsuit immediatly.

Perhaps one day he really will send everyone who responds to his email a $1000... I'm gonna be sure to respond to everyone of those from now on.

Vega wrote:

Perhaps one day he really will send everyone who responds to his email a $1000... I'm gonna be sure to respond to everyone of those from now on.

Make sure you point out that you have malaria, can't count and are woefully inadequate in science. This will up your chances to actually get some money.