Avatar: The Last Airbender - S2 Catch All Thread

Just as an FYI: Season Two of this show starts a week from Friday. For those who haven't seen it, you have no idea what you're missing. For those of you who have, you can program tivo to start recording on you local Nickelodeon Cable or Satellite Channel.

Official Web Site: Link
The Wiki: Link

SPOILER ALERT
Episode Guide for Season Two: Link

Wohoo! Karla and I love this show.

This show surprised me. I am amazed Disney hasn't killed it yet. But, then, I am a cynic.

Is this out on DVD yet?

Certis wrote:

Wohoo! Karla and I love this show.

See, the Mrs. CEJ has little interest in the whole thing. She's bludgeoned by too much animation by the Spawn of CEJ and CEJ himself.

BadMojo wrote:

This show surprised me. I am amazed Disney hasn't killed it yet. But, then, I am a cynic.

They're still working on Madagascar. Aka The Wild.

BadMojo wrote:

Is this out on DVD yet?

The first 4 episodes are on DVD. The thinking is that they will release 5 DVD's with 4 episodes each for the first book. Look for a Collector's Edistion at the end of the summer once all 5 have been released.

Yay! Also, Avatar is Nickelodeon, not Disney. Which means we'll probably get 2-3 good seasons, a Made for TV movie (or a incredibly crappy Theater movie) and then the quality will fall directly through the floor. Such is the way Nicktoons work.

CEJ wrote:
BadMojo wrote:

Is this out on DVD yet?

The first 4 episodes are on DVD. The thinking is that they will release 5 DVD's with 4 episodes each for the first book. Look for a Collector's Edistion at the end of the summer once all 5 have been released.

Sonofabitch. The f*cking Anime release method comes stateside.

Prederick wrote:

Yay! Also, Avatar is Nickelodeon, not Disney. Which means we'll probably get 2-3 good seasons, a Made for TV movie (or a incredibly crappy Theater movie) and then the quality will fall directly through the floor. Such is the way Nicktoons work.

Well, fortunatley, there are a predefined number of episodes for this particular story arc. There should only be three full seasons with the end of the third being the bing confrontation between the Fire Lord and Ang. Now, there's nothing stopping them from carrying on with another Avatar: Something or other carrying on for another season or four.

Prederick wrote:

Anime release method comes stateside.

The realization of this killed the buzz I had for this release back in January. Just reaked of trying to milk every penny out of you. You have to figure the full season (All 20 episodes) will cost a bundle. $60.00 (USD) or more.

CEJ wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Yay! Also, Avatar is Nickelodeon, not Disney. Which means we'll probably get 2-3 good seasons, a Made for TV movie (or a incredibly crappy Theater movie) and then the quality will fall directly through the floor. Such is the way Nicktoons work.

Well, fortunatley, there are a predefined number of episodes for this particular story arc. There should only be three full seasons with the end of the third being the bing confrontation between the Fire Lord and Ang. Now, there's nothing stopping them from carrying on with another Avatar: Something or other carrying on for another season or four.

Oh yeah, i've heard that, i'm just talking about my general experience watching reasonably successful Nicktoons in recent years. Nothing's lasted for much longer than 4-5 years, and they inevitably seem to jump the shark by year 2 or 3, when Nick tries to cash in on the show's success like gangbusters, and after that point, the show sucks in a way that is both awe-inspiring and worthy of naught but scorn.

CEJ wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Anime release method comes stateside.

The realization of this killed the buzz I had for this release back in January. Just reaked of trying to milk every penny out of you. You have to figure the full season (All 20 episodes) will cost a bundle. $60.00 (USD) or more.

Yeah, don't remind me. I enjoy this show, but unless the TV-to-DVD market as a whole adjusts to this pricing scheme, i'm going to continue feeling like i'm getting shafted out of my cash and stay away from this stuff as a general.

Prederick wrote:

Oh yeah, i've heard that, i'm just talking about my general experience watching reasonably successful Nicktoons in recent years. Nothing's lasted for much longer than 4-5 years, and they inevitably seem to jump the shark by year 2 or 3, when Nick tries to cash in on the show's success like gangbusters, and after that point, the show sucks in a way that is both awe-inspiring and worthy of naught but scorn.

Of this, I cannot argue. They drove Spongebob, Thornberry's, and Rugrats into the ground. Spongebob has just become sad over the past year or two.

Prederick wrote:

Yeah, don't remind me. I enjoy this show, but unless the TV-to-DVD market as a whole adjusts to this pricing scheme, i'm going to continue feeling like i'm getting shafted out of my cash and stay away from this stuff as a general.

Amen. It's tough explaining to the wife that I need these DVD's when all of the episodes are on Tivo. *sigh* I need a bigger hard drive. Time to start looking at expanding.

Just a gentle reminder that this is on tonight on Nick @ 8PM. Now, I have Tivo and Direct TV so I will be recording it at 5PM PST and again at 8 PM PST.

Also, check out the series comic books for your early readers.

So, two episodes in ... thoughts on what we have seen so far?

We thought the second episode was hilarious, and smooches abounds! You have to wonder how they're going to deal with a budding romance with kids like that.

How old is Ang, anyway? 11? 12? And Kitara is 13, I think. I predict exactly one real kiss between them, and that to happen just before the huge showdown.

It is pretty cool that they have the romantic interest between him and a (slightly) older girl.

I've been too busy drinking and courting the fair sex to watch the Premiers Friday nights. Anyone know when the reruns are on?

** [color=blue]VERY HEAVY SPOILER ALERT[/color] **

~
~~
~~~

So, last weeks episode rocked. It was a little light on the bending action, but very heavy in the story development. Turns out Zuko's sister, Princess Azula, is a bit of a bad ass. She decides that all the pomp and circumstance of being royalty is too combersome and opts to instead set off on a hunting mission with some old friends. Her old friends, by the way, seem to have no problems fighting against benders.

Regardless, Omashu is gone. The Earth Kingdom folks are on the move and Ang is on his own to find a new teacher.

Oh, and Bumi is still alive.

I thought Ang was sixty or so years old, only he spent most of that time frozen in a glacier.

After this past weeks episode, I really (and I mean really) want to know more about Avatar Kyoshi. I loved the sequence where the town had to listen to the testimoney.

I have found that Avatar has managed to do two things few shows do. It's managed to keep the characters part of a world, and that world is very alive and real. I see a lot of creativity in the writing, something that makes me think of Justice League and Farscape. Where each episode might be told from a different perspective, and Ang (and the other's) powers are never the center of attention.

So far, I have theories on where Zuko's character is headed and I might be wrong. But, it seems they might be setting him up to eventually be Ang's fire instructor. He's got to learn it from someone.

BadMojo wrote:

I have found that Avatar has managed to do two things few shows do. It's managed to keep the characters part of a world, and that world is very alive and real. I see a lot of creativity in the writing, something that makes me think of Justice League and Farscape. Where each episode might be told from a different perspective, and Ang (and the other's) powers are never the center of attention.

So far, I have theories on where Zuko's character is headed and I might be wrong. But, it seems they might be setting him up to eventually be Ang's fire instructor. He's got to learn it from someone.

They've been foreshadowing Zuko's character for a while. He's now akin to a recovering addict. He needs to hit bottom before he starts climbing up to help fight his father. I love the imagery and development that is associated with the Blue Spirit.

I think the Avatar was frozen for 100 hundered years. So he is like 112 or 113 years old or something of the sort. Very cool show indeed.

Only caught the last 10 minutes of the last episode. Me likey. I'm still praying my earlier stated prophecy does not come true.

For those of you behind on what this is all about, Nicktoons network will be re-running last season, starting today @ 6P ET.

Hmm, I've only caught an episode here or there, but I think I'll have to check it out tonight...

I really liked Friday's episode.

For those of you out there who missed some or all of the recent episodes, iTunes has these now for download. Check out TV.Com for links here.

** Spoilers **

~
~~
~~~

So, the season has progressed pretty well. The Blind Bandit episode was pretty entertaining. We now have a new character in the team: a blind earth bending master who will be training our hero in the earth bending arts. My daughter loves this episode and has been re-watching all weekend (thanks to the lack of a new episode this past Friday). If you missed it and want a recap, then check it out here.

The following episode, Zuko Alone, was out-flipping-standing. The episode walks you through a whole gambit of issues that delves into Zuko's personality and character. It ends on a high note that shows the humanity that seperates Zuko from his sibling and father. You know that Zuko and his uncle will have a role in the overall story arc.

Damn, I love this show. New episodes are scheduled for this weekend and next.

The blind earth bender is awesome, I love how they explained her abilities and the very end where she gets nailed on the head with the belt, just in case you thought she was unstoppable

Zuko's episode was the classic outsider story, I think they handled it really well.

The end of the Zuko Alone episode was outstanding. The foreshadowing in previous episodes really showed how this character would develop, however they keep suprising me with how deep they can go on the character development. The whole flash back to the good ol' days was excellent. They really opened the door on some things like how his uncle should have been the fire lord and how the sister and dear ol' dad may have taken care of grandpa in order to gain the throne. Zuko's dad doesn't look like such a nice guy anymore.

Zukop finding himself at the end during the battle with the earthbender was outstanding. Still, the blue spirit is an excellent sub plot. Kind of like a Avatar version of Robin Hood.

Ok. So the week hiatus is over. Latest Episode = The Chase. Thoughts?

Solid episode, a few head scratchers in terms of what a small world they can make it out to be (everyone was running into everyone else) but it was a fun episode. Especially with everyone so tired.

I hope the Uncle is ok! I can see all sorts of story reasons for him not to be, but I hope he is.

Certis wrote:

I hope the Uncle is ok! I can see all sorts of story reasons for him not to be, but I hope he is.

They need to keep him around. I figured this is the catalyst to bring Zuko and Ang together, but I guessed wrong. Next friday can't come fast enough.

Me likey a lot. I have alway loved a badass villain, and it looks like the Princess and her friends/sisters (haven't been keeping up) fit the bill to a T.

The past few episodes have really shown me how powerless the Ang is a lot of times. And he's not even fighting the head of the fire nation or anything, just his daughter. Last episode made me realize how much I missed Farscape. Seeing a rag-tag group of people who start out not getting along slowly be forged into a team that respects each other and kicks ass. I'm all over that story-line.

Ok. The next episode isn't until mid-July per the listing on tv.com.

However, the AvatarSpirit.com site reports that season three was picked up for a third season;

Avatar Renewed for Third Season

Posted by Nat on June 21, 2006 @ 8:45 pm EST

Avatar Season 3
As reported on the Toonzone forums, Avatar has been picked up for twenty more episodes to premiere in 2007 by Nickelodeon. Nick's executive vice president and the creators of the show had the following to say about this renewal:

"Avatar continues to be one of our top shows with kid and tween audiences who keep tuning in for the layered storylines and incredible, animated martial arts," said Cohn. "In season three, Aang will confront his biggest enemy yet along with Katara and Sokka, and meet his destiny by facing the evil Fire Lord at last."

"When we came up with the original concept for the show, we intended Aang's first journey to culminate by facing the Fire Lord in the third season," said creator Bryan Konietzko. "We're excited that we will be able to complete that original vision for the series and allow Aang to meet his fate," added Michael DiMartino.

Look forward to these episodes that will premiere in 2007, and hopefully Nick will continue the show even beyond this initial three-season storyline!