Elder Scrolls: Oblivion Game Stories and Spoilers

zeroKFE wrote:

So I've got a specific question about a quest.

This will contain minor spoilers about something you can do in Chorrol very early in the game, so skip over this if you don't want to know about that sort of thing.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***
***
***
***
***
***

I'm trying to help the countess figure out who stole her painting.

*** MORE SPECIFIC SPOILERS FOLLOW ***
***
***

I've talked to everyone, I've found the suspicious painting in the West tower, and I've found the painting supplies in the Redguard woman's room, but it seems that I still need to find more evidence before I can accuse her of being the thief. (I think she stole it because she wants to replace it with a better representation of the countess' late husband.) Has anyone finished this quest? If so, can you give me some pointers as to where I might find the last bits of evidence? I've scoured the entire castle, including all the towers and the barracks...

Thanks!

I reached the same point and had to use the strategy guide. Here's the solution, you're very close:

[color=white]Make sure you've examined the suspicious painting (I assume you have). Then it should be a simple matter of visiting the dining room off to the side of the hall. One corner of the carpet under the table is smeared with paint (in her earlier comments the thief mentioned she visited the dining room after checking star charts, so it makes sense that you have to check there, I guess). Once you've checked the carpet, you should be able to confront her and finish the quest.[/color]

Thanks Fly. Vega actually beat you to it, but that helps. I think the problem is that I hadn't found the door to the kitchen.

Doors are wily bastards. I was stuck in a Oblivion gate for half an hour looking for a key when I realized I just hadnt noticed an unlocked door in the tower.

polypusher wrote:

Doors are wily bastards. I was stuck in a Oblivion gate for half an hour looking for a key when I realized I just hadnt noticed an unlocked door in the tower.

Yeah, the Oblivion doors don't always look like doors. Early on I had to check the map to find exits a few times.

Here's something fun I came across on the official boards:

IMAGE(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.meta/ScreenShot0.JPG)

The guy claimed he came across this just after starting the game, but it is possible that he just fired up the construction set and removed the guard's clothes.

Either way, it is a funny picture.

lol, that guard must had one heck of a night before this

Non-story related, but disheartening discovery on my part.

Spoiler wrote:

[color=white]Invisible walls, and the text "You can not go this way, turn back." The world just gets smaller and smaller every time I look at it.[/color]

Druidpeak: I believe those can be modded out should more contents are added beyond them.

How many mage guild recommendations do I need to make my own spells?

Do I need access to the Academy in the Imperial city to make spells?

Ive completed 2 and have to wait until the guild leader of cherylal (sp?) leaves to get the key from one of his underlings.

How many guild recommendations are there?

Spoiler for Fang wrote:

[color=white]Guild recomendations? One in every major city with a Mages Guild....yeah, better keep the calamine at hand, your ass is going to be sore from riding.

To make spells? AFAIK, yes, you can only do it at the academy. I hear they have a kickass library too.

I think I've done about 4-5, and have 2 or so left. Memories not super, so I could be wrong.

[/color]

Montalban wrote:

Have any of you run into the other "adventurers" in a dungeon yet? They're supposed to be rare, but I've already met one. I was too weak to actually follow him around inside the dungeon. I would have been slaughtered. But when I'm stronger I plan on following them to see what they actually do.

I did once. Only once.

Today I was adventuring and I killed an enemy that was wearing a near full suit of Elven armor, all but one piece enchanted with constant-effect magic. I was wearing plain mithril, so that was quite awesome.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Montalban wrote:

Have any of you run into the other "adventurers" in a dungeon yet? They're supposed to be rare, but I've already met one. I was too weak to actually follow him around inside the dungeon. I would have been slaughtered. But when I'm stronger I plan on following them to see what they actually do.

I did once. Only once.

Today I was adventuring and I killed an enemy that was wearing a near full suit of Elven armor, all but one piece enchanted with constant-effect magic. I was wearing plain mithril, so that was quite awesome.

Nice. I need me some decent gear, sounds I need to get out and start killing more. I've been too busy lately with Fedex city quests, herb collecting errands, and simple cave crawls.

Question but possible spoiler:

[color=white]At the end of the Vilverin dungeon (Vilverin Sel Sancremathi) there is this necro guy named something like Jurlek, is it okay to kill him? From the letter that he got on his makeshift table, I get the impression that this is someone that could be related to a mage guild quest, so is he important?[/color]

General question: Say if an NPC is part of fighters guild quest line, or someone that you are supposed to assassinate for the dark brotherhood. Would that NPC be tagged as "important" (ie. cursor over the npc would show up as a crown)? If not, what if you kill him/her? When you finally get the quest, do they respawn or something? Thanks

Druidpeak wrote:

Non-story related, but disheartening discovery on my part.

Spoiler wrote:

[color=white]Invisible walls, and the text "You can not go this way, turn back." The world just gets smaller and smaller every time I look at it.[/color]

Here is something that should get rid of this problem of yours druidpeak:

TES forum wrote:

[color=white]
bBorderRegionsEnabled=0

Removes the invisible wall borders that say "You cannot go that way. Turn back." If you REALLY want to see wat you're not allowed to see. Which of course, isn't much. Interesting way to waste time, though.[/color]

I found an unbreakable lockpick. It is officially the greatest thing ever.

You must tell me where you got it.

Edwin wrote:

You must tell me where you got it.

That'd be cheating

Sinatar wrote:
Edwin wrote:

You must tell me where you got it.

That'd be cheating :wink:

Damn you!

Sinatar wrote:

I found an unbreakable lockpick. It is officially the greatest thing ever.

I can do one better. I can tell you how to always win the lockpicking minigame.

Watch carefully every time you tap a pin. At first it might seem pretty random whether the pin sticks at the top or not and how long it sticks for. However, there is one thing that seems to be always true. If you tap the pin and it doesn't stick at the top at all, the next tap will always cause it to stick for a generously long time.

So what you need to do is to just tap each pin over and over until you get one of those taps that goes up and down really fast. Then, try to catch the pin on the next tap. Using this strategy I have been able to open even the "very hard" locks in just a few tries every time even with a novice level security skill. So while you will still need to either keep a few picks on you at all times or do some saving and reloading upon lockpicking failure, you should be able drastically reduce the frequency with which you break picks or reload by recognizing and taking advantage of this pattern.

Mage = Easy Mode?

Im playing as a basically pure mage and what Im finding is that I have a handful of fairly low cost spells that are helping me breeze through the game. One is a charm spell that adds 60 to an NPCs disposition towards me for 5 seconds. Since time stops when you're talking to them, you dont need it to be longer. It was cheap to create and costs hardly anything in magicka.

The other I almost dont even want to mention because it seems so unbalancing. It seems to be a 1 hit kill every time so far. When I created it I figured I would get the 'your level is not high enough for this spell' message and not be allowed to create it, but that didnt happen. A spell that opens average locks is too much for me, but not this uber spell. Im going to play a little longer to make sure its not just imps and timber wolves that go down in 1 hit from this thing. If it turns out to be easy mode Ill probably re-roll a pure warrior. I wanted a challenge when I bought this game.

Turn up the difficulty slider?

Now you've got me curious, though. What is this killer spell you've created?

[color=white]Drain Health 100pts for 1 sec[/color]

I think being allowed to create the spell was a bug.

Ah, I see.

[color=white]The problem is that for that spell effect, the difficulty is more dependent on the duration than on the magnitude. Interesting.[/color]
polypusher wrote:
[color=white]Drain Health 100pts for 1 sec[/color]

I think being allowed to create the spell was a bug.

Ohhhh that's nasty.
/makes note not to add that to his spell book

I could kill most of your characters in 2 hits with it

It costs me 26 magicka to cast

man, and now I just broke a quest by stumbling into the end of it while wandering before I was actually given the quest. The giver has the right speech triggered when I first greet him but no conversation topics are about the quest so I can't finish it.

Its re-roll time. Black Knight here I come

lethial wrote:
Druidpeak wrote:

Non-story related, but disheartening discovery on my part.

Spoiler wrote:

[color=white]Invisible walls, and the text "You can not go this way, turn back." The world just gets smaller and smaller every time I look at it.[/color]

Here is something that should get rid of this problem of yours druidpeak:

TES forum wrote:

[color=white]
bBorderRegionsEnabled=0

Removes the invisible wall borders that say "You cannot go that way. Turn back." If you REALLY want to see wat you're not allowed to see. Which of course, isn't much. Interesting way to waste time, though.[/color]

[color=white]There's the infinite terrain I was looking for! It would seem that expansions are going to be coming out fairly regularly with this one. Or lotsa mods.
[/color]
Edwin wrote:
Sinatar wrote:
Edwin wrote:

You must tell me where you got it.

That'd be cheating :wink:

Damn you!

I'll give you a hint. Its the reward for a quest from one of the daedric deity quests. It has a minimum character level of 10 to even start it.

Boo, I'm only lvl 4.

Sinatar wrote:
Edwin wrote:
Sinatar wrote:
Edwin wrote:

You must tell me where you got it.

That'd be cheating :wink:

Damn you!

I'll give you a hint. Its the reward for a quest from one of the daedric deity quests. It has a minimum character level of 10 to even start it.

I've only found the shrines of Azura and Sheograth(sp). I take it they are worth the effort. Don't the soul gems in this one last forever? That would kind of reduce the need for an Azura's Star.

I'll add to Zero's lockpicking tips. It appears that each tumbler cycles through about two to four fall rates. While a tumbler won't fall the fastest twice in a row, it's no garuntee that the next fall rate is the slowest in it's cycle. Also I believe that for each difficulty of lock the tumblers start in the same part of their respective cycles. For example a Very Hard lock's first four tumbles usually are set to fall quickly and it's last tumbler to fall slowly.

What exactly are the elder scrolls? They look like gibberish star maps to me. Did aedra make them?

Has anyone found anything from Akivar? So far I've just got a sword but am looking to increase my collection from the mysterious continent.

Anyone else digging the Dark Brotherhood?