What Do You Think of Gamers With Jobs?

Multi-forum threads are the tools of the devil.

Gorilla.800.lbs wrote:

I suggest that employee profiles should be taken in podcast form, in realtime, unedited, interviewed by Sanj and Fletch together. That'll make things lively and interesting. My understanding is that they're using Skype to record their banter? Shouldn't be a problem to add a 3rd participant.

But... but then you'd all be subjected to my Kermit-the-frog-like voice!

Out of those I think every one of them is still a consistent forum poster except Sway and Flux (Mr. Green and SpyNavy are maybe's but Green has been popping up again recently).

Saywha? I've been spamming these forums on an almost daily basis for years. I've just been hiding from you.

About the website: To be brutally honest, the reason I come here is the "community", the rest is just a bonus. Of course if you'd do the gaming news thing that would save me from going anywhere else but I know you don't wanna go there.

duckilama wrote:

I disagree. I love the way that those of us that have had games nearly our whole lives can identify and comingle(sp?) gaming with the real world.

I wasn't talking about articles that only speak about 'a game'. Indeed, I think the first thing I wrote for GWJ was about going to arcades as a child; it was as much about my childhood as anything else.

My point is that some articles can read like gaming has been added on. This may be because of the content of the an article or its structure. Instead of going "X is reminds of Y-gaming situation" - and then explaining why, we can have "I remember when just like the time I was playing".

We shouldn't become predictable when we write - we should experiment with layout and style - but nor should we ignore accepted guidelines about online copy and web usability. Sadly I have to think about this sh*t all day; I'm a web copywriter.

Oh and I'm well aware I didn't follow my own rules when I wrote before. One thing I did do, though, was look up the average reading speed online and use that to figure out how long my articles could be. I think they should each take about 3 - 5 minutes to read (and be able to be remembered). I figured that was office safe.

Sorry, I forgot to say... Can we have a paypal donation link please? There could be a page explaining that people who sign up get to have a watch/key under their name. sh*t man, tell me your paypal address and I'll donate on Monday (to GWJ. Not to liggers.).

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone, it's been excellent. I'll clear up a few things:

1) No ads! Unless it's a particular game or company we really like, we won't do ads unless for some reason the site explodes with so many visitors that hosting costs get out of control. We're a loooong way off from that though.

2) There will be a donation drive coming, sooner than you may think too. We won't put a permanent link to donate up, we prefer to provide the opportunity to pitch in for a brief period and shelve it for most of the year.

Sorry, I forgot to say... Can we have a paypal donation link please?

This only happens during the donation drives(currently). Certis has explained before why it is this way. I think it's like the Jerry Lewis thing on Labor day. Folks are more likely to contribute if it's not a constant request(telemarketers), but a special event(MDA Telethon).

Edit: Certis, please type slower so I don't look like a chump. That is all.

The only comment I have is that I'd like to have a longer listing of active forum topics than just 5. I visit several times per day while working, and post when something of interest shows up in the active forum topics space.

Disclaimer: if there's a way to edit this in a setting somewhere that I haven't found, please feel free to correct me in a nice way

Edit: Certis, please type slower so I don't look like a chump. That is all.

That, my friend, is Karma.

Quote:
I'd like drop down menus (say for the forums) so that I can immediately go to one forum rather than an intermediate screen.
I miss that, too.

biggest point for me. I am really lazy and all those extra clicks are taking the toll on my wrists.

Other than that i am really happy here. This is the only other place in the world where I post. The first being the now defunct Drunken Friar.

Edit: forgot this... needs more Jewbies, and phallic soap and hot chicks in scantily glad outfits playing mmorpgs.

Edit 2: Make Bill Harris reveal himself.

1) No ads! Unless it's a particular game or company we really like, we won't do ads unless for some reason the site explodes with so many visitors that hosting costs get out of control. We're a loooong way off from that though.

you can always opt for the big freakin "Powered by Current" Banner to solve all your hosting needs..

muhahahaa!

As far as I'm concerned, this site is all about mature community. The admins carry a big ban stick, and that's something I'd like to see continue. If we keep the site mature and the community cohesive, I think this site will continue to be great. When we have to hear 13 year old Stevie tell us "u suck at BF2 if u dont play it 60 hrs a week, lol n00bs, im master chief!!!1" the end will be nigh.

Building on what's been said before, I'd like to see:

1.) Community game reviews: I can get an overview, an arbitrary number and tons of community reviews at lots of sites, but I want to know what people here think of games. I'm not advocating everyone start posting reviews, but maybe have game review/discussion threads get indexed on some special page. For example, Lobster said he'd post a review of B&W 2. We'll probably post responses, and someone reading it can get a good feel what what people think of the game. Index it for later use.

2.) Employee profiles: I've read the backlog of them, and I think they're a good idea. Maybe a page with all of them easily available, so new folks can get up to speed on who people are? Also, a link to an employee profile from the user's profile would make them easy to get to as well.

Certis wrote:

1) No ads! Unless it's a particular game or company we really like, we won't do ads unless for some reason the site explodes with so many visitors that hosting costs get out of control. We're a loooong way off from that though.

You know those ads with the girls with the boobies? I'm pretty sure everyone here would be OK with those.

When we have to hear 13 year old Stevie tell us "u suck at BF2 if u dont play it 60 hrs a week, lol n00bs, im master chief!!!1" the end will be nigh.

I had a minor taste of this on TS last night. There was an awful lot of f*ckin' this and f*ckin' that, even aside from the Americuh, f*ck Yeah(which was kinda funny the first 12 times)! For a minute, I thought I'd accidentally stumbled into the frathouse TS channel.

Yes, yes, we're all adults here and we're all allowed to use the F-bomb, but I know at least some nights we have minors on TS and try not to use profanity likes it potpurri. I'm not pointing fingers or naming names or tellin' folks what they're allowed to say and not allowed to say, but it was a bit heavy at first.

Fortunately, it cleared up after a while, and it was never in the vein of "weiner bomb!" so it's all good.

I think I'd agree that there ought to be some kind of game review thread or forum, wherein information/impressions/reviews are better organized.

Aside from that.....hmm, well, some of the more, ah "personal" threads not being *quite* so in your face, would be nice....

This really is a great site- and thanks to some of you I am feeling more empowered in the P&C forum....which is a model of the way such forums should be run....

And here's a generous "tip of the ole' rabbit ears" to Certis, Pyro, Elysium, et. al. for a wonderful place....

Now, when is Hootchie going to restart the adventures of her gnomish rogue in WoW?.....

duckilama wrote:

Fortunately, it cleared up after a while, and it was never in the vein of "weiner bomb!" so it's all good.

That was me in Fushe Pass when they stole our chopper. My apologies if anyone was offended.

The names I called them still apply, however. INDIGNANT!

It was the front-page stuff that brought me here (links pasted into IRC by a friend) but it's the forums that make me spend so much of my day here. I feel more comfortable in this community than any other I've visited because the majority of the people here are a lot like me: adult employed gamers. I also appreciate that it's politically diverse instead of being horribly lop-sided where everyone dogpiles the guy who speaks against the accepted ideology.

I can only suggest some more front-page content. And someone to do my real work when I'd rather spend all day reading the forums.

My apologies if anyone was offended.

:lol: no, not offended, just surprised. It was just a tad out of the usual.

More Legion and GameGuru.

I love them.

A slight increase in front page content would be nice. I love the articles, and they do seem to help feed conversation here on the forums.

I registered and have started to become a regular almost solely because I enjoyed the forums and forum personalities so much. I already have my gaming, football, and alcohol topics covered, all in one forum made up of a community of mostly friendly and mature productive adults. What more could I ask for?

More recipies from the Deva please.

Like most, the idea of reviving the employee profiles gets my vote.

I would also like to see improvements to the forums section. What makes a forum good is the people and GWJ has that well covered. However, a forum that helps communicate information about threads and users can help foster that community. The GWJ forums are fully functional but are missing a lot of the nice touches other forums have. For example, if you click on the forum link, all you see is a list of the forums and the only information you receive is if there have been new posts since your last visit. Other forums will provide useful information like the number of posts, the number of new posts, the number of users viewing, a list of active users, etc. This can give you an immediate sense of how vibrant a community is and the current forums don't do that.

Other features such as if a user is online or not, how many posts people have, ICQ, AIM, etc. icons, birthdays, total thread views, etc. provide information that help to foster a community.

I know y'all do this in your spare time and the last thing I want to do is sound ungrateful. I love these forums. I just think they could be better.

Late to the party and of course everything has been covered. I'd hate to see GWJ go with ads and am glad there's no plans to. I think Ducki summed it up best in his post about how we're more community driven, etc. Well said.

Anyways, just wanted to add how much I enjoy GWJ. New additions, especially the podcasting and front page activities are really helping to improve the site. Big thumbs up!

Could I suggest that GWJ become an affiliate of Gamerang? Because I am... http://www.gamerang.com/Affiliates/ It's just like Gamefly, but they have more distribution centers. There are positive reviews of it somewhere on here. I was thinking of signing up, but I would prefer to pay them money if I knew some of it was coming here as well.

Edit... nevermind, it would appear that Certis has already started the process...

Lester_King wrote:

Could I suggest that GWJ become an affiliate of Gamerang? Because I am... http://www.gamerang.com/Affiliates/ It's just like Gamefly, but they have more distribution centers. There are positive reviews of it somewhere on here. I was thinking of signing up, but I would prefer to pay them money if I knew some of it was coming here as well.

Certis signed up. Awaiting the "blessing" apparently.

EDIT: Never mind... Lester apparently found the relevant info.

I'd just like to see more "me" here. Everything improves when I'm around I've found. Perhaps unobtrusive pictures of me on most pages, ColdForged's thoughts for the day strewn here and there, a link people can click to purchase things I desire for me. Nothing major, just more me.

Less DNF "When it's done." for merchandise.

Personally I think we need a lot more smokin' hot Certis-on-Elysium action:

IMAGE(http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/files/images/special_place.preview.jpg)

And full-frontal gaming.

Seriously though, I pretty much like the site as is. The wide array of content on the main page (not just strictly gaming) is nice and with the addition of new contributors over the past few months, the amount of new front page articles feels right.

It's the clear vision and consistency in cultivating and maintaining the kind of community you want (i.e. discouraging the typical asshattery that inflitrates most Internet forums) that makes this site work. Don't ever change that.

As for suggested changes, I still have forum font size issues with IE 6.0 on a wide screen monitor...it's so tiny (like 4 pt tiny) that I've lost all desire to browse the site from my home PC. But that's a minor technicality since most of my GWJ browsing occurs on a different PC.

It it ain't broke...

I am happy with the site as is, but to echo everyone else, more of everything would be nice.

Actually, and this might have to wait till 3.0 but I would love a way to jump from forum to forum without having to go back the the forum menu each time. Some kind of drop down or direct link to each forum no matter where I am on the site would be nice.

I have no problem with the current front page system, but for those who only want to read gaming related front page material, maybe a tag for other articles would work, like Front Page Everything Else or Front Page Sports.

Keep up the good work.

Employee Profiles
Forum to Forum Browsing
Daily Frontpage Content (bring in more forum contributors as writers if needed)
More Game reviews
Weekly (or bi-weekly) radio shows

I know that is all more work for you guys, but you asked.

As for suggested changes, I still have forum font size issues with IE 6.0 on a wide screen monitor...it's so tiny (like 4 pt tiny) that I've lost all desire to browse the site from my home PC. But that's a minor technicality since most of my GWJ browsing occurs on a different PC.

If you have your IE font size set to very small ..... it'll make the text very small. You'd be suprised how many people have it set that way for some unknown reason.