WoW Economy

At least on my server it appears inflation has begun to set in...

1 or 2 Guilds have placed a stranglehold on Mithrial/TrueSilver ore and have set the price pretty high at the AH.

Core of Earth which just 2 weeks ago had buyouts of 1-2G are now up to 18-20G for buyouts.

Level 45+ Gear that is Blue or Purple is 45G and up...

What could cause the sudden jump in prices?

I hear its even worse on the Alliance side on my server.. everything across the board seems 50-60% higher if not more.

I guess since we're outnumber almost 3 to 1 on my server.

Wow. We''ve had a problem on the horde side of Blackhand with one guy, Iamtrans, buying every blue or higher item then auctioning them for 50% higher or more, but I haven''t really noticed that much of a problem yet on the Alliance side. Then again I don''t use the auction house that much.

So those guilds just camp all the mine spawns Guru? That sucks.

"LeapingGnome" wrote:
Wow. We''ve had a problem on the horde side of Blackhand with one guy, Iamtrans, buying every blue or higher item then auctioning them for 50% higher or more, but I haven''t really noticed that much of a problem yet on the Alliance side. Then again I don''t use the auction house that much.

So those guilds just camp all the mine spawns Guru? That sucks.

Pretty much...they have alts that watch the AH 24X7 (at least it appears that way as they are always there)

They buy anything thats lowballed instantly and then reauction at their set price.

With Alchemists ability to transumte set at 48 real hours per bar it makes it tough to buy that stuff at reasonable prices if your not a miner.

They cant really camp all the mine spawns since they are random but they do a pretty good job mining at a pretty high rate.

Not sure what they are doing with all the cash since other than the 900G mounts whats there to buy?

"TheGameguru" wrote:
Not sure what they are doing with all the cash since other than the 900G mounts whats there to buy?

POWER!

That sucketh. Hopefully Blizz will do something. I think this definately fubars the AH usefullness.

Really odd in EQ2 I can see people grubbing for coin as there is a lot out there to suck it up but yeah why do this in WoW and why does it not happen in EQ2?

My guess would be they are trying to sell the gold for real life money. Lineage2 had some really cut throat groups out there and it was all being driven by the desire to sell stuff to make real cash.

This is just a search on ebay for World of Warcraft Gold 762 hits.

http://search.ebay.com/World-of-Warc...

Where a similar search for EQ2 results in 157 items. Of course not to hijack your thread too much GG shows that WoW is a lot more successful than in EQ2 in the number of auctions is any indicator.

"maladen" wrote:
Really odd in EQ2 I can see people grubbing for coin as there is a lot out there to suck it up but yeah why do this in WoW and why does it not happen in EQ2?

My guess would be they are trying to sell the gold for real life money. Lineage2 had some really cut throat groups out there and it was all being driven by the desire to sell stuff to make real cash.

This is just a search on ebay for World of Warcraft Gold 762 hits.

http://search.ebay.com/World-of-Warc...

Where a similar search for EQ2 results in 157 items. Of course not to hijack your thread too much GG shows that WoW is a lot more successful than in EQ2 in the number of auctions is any indicator.

Good call...totally forgot about the ebay/real life profit angle.

No doubt its probably these exact guys behind the various websites selling WoW gold for real money.

I would love to see Blizzard crack down on this big time.

How pathetic. Get a life, rare-monopolizing freaks.

"TheGameguru" wrote:
At least on my server it appears inflation has begun to set in...

1 or 2 Guilds have placed a stranglehold on Mithrial/TrueSilver ore and have set the price pretty high at the AH.

Core of Earth which just 2 weeks ago had buyouts of 1-2G are now up to 18-20G for buyouts.

Level 45+ Gear that is Blue or Purple is 45G and up...

What could cause the sudden jump in prices?

I hear its even worse on the Alliance side on my server.. everything across the board seems 50-60% higher if not more.

I guess since we''re outnumber almost 3 to 1 on my server.

It could also be inflation due to more high level players being out there.
As you get higher in level the more money mobs drop, all those people hording to get the 1000G mount now have gobs of cash to blow, and frankly are willing to pay 45 G for some of that stuff without blinking.
For instance I can recall when I balked at paying 15s for some things, because it was a ton of money for my rogue... now at level 32 I don''t have any hesitation at payign 35s for a LW pattern, even if its one that fills out my low level patterns (i.e. its grey to me). I recently shell out 1.5g each for a pair of mageweave bags.... even a few levels ago this would have been unthinkable! I buy stacks of heavy leather for buyout prices of 35sp as a matter of course (I love this, I can grab it from the mail whenever I need to make stuff, and the rest of the time it isn''t taking up room in my bank)

Also TGG,
come on over to Blackhand (if your not here already), that''s what guild are for, to give a way out of the AH trap (I''ll often report patterns/whatever I find so if someone needs it I can buy it for the vendor price and ship it to them, versus paying through the nose at the AH (and I should know, thats how Snoods made most of his cash, being one of the people charging obscene sums for stuff inthe AH )

One word: Yantis

His crew is invading all servers and making $100k a year easily.

As for taking all the ore, mining is tough but it is hilarious if anyone thinks they can have it all. I sill get plenty of mithril and iron and could be making 20g a day if I wanted but I choose to make stuff.

I am going to farm core of earth myself tonight since it shouldn''t be too hard to get. I need it for weaponsmith recipes. The current weaponsmiths on Blackhand are sitting on their thrones right now ripping people off at 40g a weapon. They will be hating me in a couple of days when I sell for half that.

That. Is. Insane.

I am going to farm core of earth myself tonight since it shouldn''t be too hard to get. I need it for weaponsmith recipes. The current weaponsmiths on Blackhand are sitting on their thrones right now ripping people off at 40g a weapon. They will be hating me in a couple of days when I sell for half that.

Hey good luck... unless you hit the 55+ Earth Elementals the best you can get is a 1% drop rate from the G. Elementals.

I''ve killed so many of them and have yet to have one drop for me.

Hey good luck... unless you hit the 55+ Earth Elementals the best you can get is a 1% drop rate from the G. Elementals.

That will suck, I am sure it will test my patience.

I basically did level 46 and 47 farming G. Elementals in Badlands...

I got a ton of cash but ZERO Core of Earths. Nada.

Ironically I got one from some quest back at level 40 which I forget.. it dropped from the final boss.. but in ignorance I sold it to a vendor.

I was attempting to get 4 (HA!) of them for this mace..

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=4586

Which one of my guildmates can make..

But then wandering through Tanaris I popped on this guy

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=4586

Who 25% of the time drops this

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=5728

Lo and behold it dropped for me and the mace is perfect for Shamans.. so my need for core of earth poofed! haha!

Damn, that mace drop will hurt my profit on the shatterer.

"Flux" wrote:
Damn, that mace drop will hurt my profit on the shatterer. :(

Its not so bad...I got really lucky... that guy is a super rare spawn.

Theres not that many of those maces on my server on the Horde side.

I think I saw one Rogue using one since I got it.

Its like the 5th Best 1H Mace in the game right now.

Huh. That explains why I saw several blue hoods being sold by iamtrans at 7G each starting price, and one by another guy at 63s starting or so. I was rapidly outbid, and I think iamtrans won it, because checking later there were about the same number and all the same price.

On the plus side, I bought something at what I thought was a deal and the seller found me at the mailbox and thanked me profusely for buying it. Weird, but hey, we were both happy.

I certainly spend more on items, mostly better armor right now. I think the extremely high prices are self-correcting. Set them too high, and no one will buy them. Set them moderately high and you can lose the folks at the bottom of the level range, and lessen your chances of a sale to higher folks who have better. So hopefully market forces will leave people like iamtrans with a steady erosion of fees and the need to lower prices or sit on a bank full of unsellable blue items...

That''s my hope, anyway.

I think one issue is that it will discourage ""casual"" gamers. The types of people that do not have a level 60 ""farming gold"" so that they can buy relatively basic trade components for 5 gold a pop. Yes, you can always go find it yourself in the wild, but it''s too bad that these types of things have to happen.

Maybe they''ll just raise the price to put items on the auction based on your starting price. So if you want to set something with a 10 gold starting price it''ll cost you a gold. That way for these people who just keep repostong the same high cost item over and over that will really kill there profits.
It doesn''t hurt the realistic people because anything worth a lot will quickly go up at the auction.

On my server (Eonar) I was seeing ridiculous prices for 20 silk cloth. i think every other creature I kill drops silk cloth. I''ve already maxed out my first aid skill and I have to wait until lvl 40 to go for artisan first aid.

Speaking of economies....I''d like TPTB to add in the value of my labor when I sell ""finished"" items back to merchants...even if it is but a few coppers, guv''nor....

Long live the Glorious Socialist Workers Aid Society!

Down with Running Dog Lackeys of Imperialist Guild Aggression!

"SlyFrog" wrote:
I think one issue is that it will discourage ""casual"" gamers. The types of people that do not have a level 60 ""farming gold"" so that they can buy relatively basic trade components for 5 gold a pop. Yes, you can always go find it yourself in the wild, but it''s too bad that these types of things have to happen.

This is always true about these games and one of the reasons I wonder how ''casual friendly'' they can get. After all it only takes 1 or 2 idiots to ruin the fun of a lot of people.

GG, I took your advice and went after the rock elementals in badlands. There were several quests for them which I did at the same time. It was great exp at 18000exp+ per hour with turning in quests, however the gold rate from selling stuff was ~2g an hour :-(.

I did pick up one Core of Earth from one of the greater rock Elementals, however I turned it in for a quest.

"Unforseen_Power" wrote:
Maybe they''ll just raise the price to put items on the auction based on your starting price. So if you want to set something with a 10 gold starting price it''ll cost you a gold. That way for these people who just keep repostong the same high cost item over and over that will really kill there profits.
It doesn''t hurt the realistic people because anything worth a lot will quickly go up at the auction.

They already do this to some extent. A 24 hour auction of a shredder page cost me much less to post than a 24 hour action for a pattern:deviate scale belt.

What''s the deal with those shredder pages, anyways? Does it end up being a recipe?

"a7an" wrote:
GG, I took your advice and went after the rock elementals in badlands. There were several quests for them which I did at the same time. It was great exp at 18000exp+ per hour with turning in quests, however the gold rate from selling stuff was ~2g an hour :-(.

I did pick up one Core of Earth from one of the greater rock Elementals, however I turned it in for a quest.

with several empty bags I get anywhere from 4-5 gold an hour there...

The G. Elementals are slightly better because the drop the shiny stones.

You did better than me though...core of Earth goes for 20G!

I have checked the auction house for any cores the last 3 days with no luck. If I get any I will see how the market reacts in the trade channel when I auction it. If 4 cores went for 40 gold I see no reason to put them into a shatterer to sell for 25g. This could be a hot little item.

"Warlock" wrote:
What''s the deal with those shredder pages, anyways? Does it end up being a recipe?

There''s a lumberjack in Ashenvale Forest that has lost her Shredder Operating manual. She''s too lazy to go find the pages herself.

Yeah, but I''m sure you get skillups from the Shatterer Flux? How much do you guys think your skill-ups are ""worth""?

For me, I really value them, maybe over value. For example 10 slot bags went gray for me a long time ago, but the black version (Black Silk Pack) is still green for me, so I get an occassional skill-up from making them. It costs 3s in thread for me to make a regular, or 14s in thread and dye for me to make a black. But I always make blacks now to get the skillups.

That''s nowhere near the 25g-40g you''re talking about Curb, but you guys have seen how many bags I make, that''s 11s lost on each one for the chance to get a skill-up.

There''s a lumberjack in Ashenvale Forest that has lost her Shredder Operating manual. She''s too lazy to go find the pages herself.

Is it worth the trouble to complete? I have like 5 of the pages in the bank.

"Warlock" wrote:
There''s a lumberjack in Ashenvale Forest that has lost her Shredder Operating manual. She''s too lazy to go find the pages herself.

Is it worth the trouble to complete? I have like 5 of the pages in the bank.

Ah this must be the equivilent (sp?) of the ''Lost Novel'' or whatever for the alliance in STV. You need to find 3 or 4 pages for 4 chapters of a book. It took a bit but I got a lot of experience out of it.