Cosmos Problem

Anyone having a problem with this excuting lately? It's been running fine, then the last 3 day's when I go execute it from my
shortcut on desktop, the grey box will come up, start to patch, then just disappear with nothing happening. Do I need to go grab it again and re-install or...?

I had the same problem yesterday. The cosmos.exe that you''re using is out of date -- you need to grab the new one. Once I did that, it worked fine again. Of course following yesterdays patch to WoW, some of the cosmos functionality isn''t working but for the most part the key things I use were working again mid evening last night.

The other secret is to go into Configure and use the Check Files option. That downloaded a bunch of new files for me and it started working again (using the Beta code).

In this case, if its the same thing that was happening to me, the cosmos.exe will crash before you can even click configure.

Right. I had to download the Dec 6 beta executable and install it, then use the file checker. Only then did it work. The previous code did not work at all, as you describe.

That happened to me last night, just bombed out without doing anything, wondered what was up...

I finally got cosmos to work after finding these instructions:

Instructions
------------

Make sure your Interface directory in WoW is empty.

Unpack the Cosmos zip file to your WoW directory.

Make sure that the Interface directory contains two directories, ""AddOns"" and ""FrameXML"".

Troubleshooting
---------------

Make sure you have the latest version of Cosmos.

If problems still occur, delete the contents of the WDB directory.

If that doesn''t help, rename your WTF directory to something different (like WTF2).

If that doesn''t help either, go to the forums and CHECK FOR POSTS THAT DEAL WITH YOUR PROBLEM.

If you can''t find any such problems detailed (and still get the problem), post about it.

Forum URL:
http://www.cosmosui.org/forums/

There was an update for WoW last night, and immediatley after WoW told me my interface files were out of date and offered to delete them. I cancelled and was dumped to desktop. Then I recalled someone saying to run WoW from the Cosmos exe - figured it maybe updated it''s self this way. So I tried launching from it - but it would just show the dialog for a second then disapear and nothing happened. So launched via WoW shortcut and chose to delete the interface files.

In short, I thought Cosmos just stopped working because of the WoW update.

It basically did. If you go to the Cosmos website, there''s a new download there. Just download the new version, unzip it, and start up WoW and you''re good to go.

"Vega" wrote:

It basically did. If you go to the Cosmos website, there''s a new download there.

I think you mean If you can get to the Cosmos website, there''s a new download there. Hanging for me most of the day.

Thottbot has been removed, the tab where you upload your character profile is gone, for example. Also, the fisherman''s tacklebox tab is missing, so no more fastcast, etc. Not sure what else might be missing.

"Propagandalf" wrote:

Also, the fisherman''s tacklebox tab is missing, so no more fastcast, etc.

O.k Thank folks. Talk about a ''zoner''. I created this thread to get an answer and promptly forgot about it Thanks Robear for knockin'' the noggin''

O.k. I''m staring at the Cosmos download section. I see Cosmos.exe dated 2 Dec. That''s the first one I got. Now I see a seperate Alpha and Beta zip dated 7 Dec. Then an old (Aug.) file and two other 7 Dec. files for Lite and Thottbot. So, I download Beta? Or Alpha? And when I read their download notes they talk about an Alpha for ongoing work and a ''Release'' of what they are proud of. O.k. ''Release'' What''s that? the .exe of Dec 2? (I thought Beta was the more stable?)

Color me confused.

Oh, and I''m suppose to delete the ''AddOn'' dirctory as some said? Or are these going to disperse to correct the .exe that I take is the ''AddOn''?

WoW must update first before any patching of Cosmos will be effective. If WoW says the interface folder is out of date and must be deleted, let it. Once WoW patches itself, then all you should need is http://www.cosmosui.org/cosmos/Cosmo...

Installation Instructions

Auto-Patcher:
http://www.cosmosui.org/cosmos/Cosmo...
The automagic patcher for PC. Just load into the WoW directory and enjoy. If you get a ""Patch list too long"" error, please try the Zip files or get a new copy of the EXE.

"Grumpicus" wrote:

WoW must update first before any patching of Cosmos will be effective. If WoW says the interface folder is out of date and must be deleted, let it. Once WoW patches itself, then all you should need is http://www.cosmosui.org/cosmos/Cosmo...

Installation Instructions

Auto-Patcher:
http://www.cosmosui.org/cosmos/Cosmo...
The automagic patcher for PC. Just load into the WoW directory and enjoy. If you get a ""Patch list too long"" error, please try the Zip files or get a new copy of the EXE.

k. Thanks! I thought this was the file I used before, but looks like not.

I let WoW do its deleting, but I still had to go in and empty the interface folder. Cosmos wouldn''t patch and work until I did that, after reading the instructions that I posted I had no idea why it wouldn''t work. You have to delete all the files in your interface folder.

You lose all your cosmos settings and have to set everything up again.

"Propagandalf" wrote:

I let WoW do its deleting, but I still had to go in and empty the interface folder. Cosmos wouldn''t patch and work until I did that, after reading the instructions that I posted I had no idea why it wouldn''t work. You have to delete all the files in your interface folder.

You lose all your cosmos settings and have to set everything up again. :(

O.k. I will have to try that. I just ran it again and it didn''t work, so this must be it. I have one directory in the interface folder of Wow, and it''s ''Addons''. So just delete this? (this was mentioned above, but I was hesitant to do it till I got confirmation)

Thanks.

"Donan" wrote:
"Propagandalf" wrote:

I let WoW do its deleting, but I still had to go in and empty the interface folder. Cosmos wouldn''t patch and work until I did that, after reading the instructions that I posted I had no idea why it wouldn''t work. You have to delete all the files in your interface folder.

You lose all your cosmos settings and have to set everything up again. :(

O.k. I will have to try that. I just ran it again and it didn''t work, so this must be it. I have one directory in the interface folder of Wow, and it''s ''Addons''. So just delete this? (this was mentioned above, but I was hesitant to do it till I got confirmation)

Thanks.

Yep, that''s the exact problem I had. Delete it. I actually just cut it and put it in a temp folder, just in case, but I have had no problems after removing it.

If you guys can''t get to cosmos''s site like I couldn''t all day yesterday, I put up a mirror of the new 12/7 build here you can download:

Cosmos

Cool, thanks Leaping.

For those of us that miss the tacklebox, I saw this over in the cosmos forum. It''s not made by anyone official, so edit at your own risk.

Try this. Go into the Interface\\Addons\\Tacklebox folder and open Tacklebox.toc.

Change this:
Code:
## Interface: 4062

To this:
Code:
## Interface: 4114

Save it and go back into WoW. In your Cosmos Config you should see the Tacklebox again.

"Propagandalf" wrote:
"Donan" wrote:
"Propagandalf" wrote:

I let WoW do its deleting, but I still had to go in and empty the interface folder. Cosmos wouldn''t patch and work until I did that, after reading the instructions that I posted I had no idea why it wouldn''t work. You have to delete all the files in your interface folder.

You lose all your cosmos settings and have to set everything up again. :(

O.k. I will have to try that. I just ran it again and it didn''t work, so this must be it. I have one directory in the interface folder of Wow, and it''s ''Addons''. So just delete this? (this was mentioned above, but I was hesitant to do it till I got confirmation)

Thanks.

Yep, that''s the exact problem I had. Delete it. I actually just cut it and put it in a temp folder, just in case, but I have had no problems after removing it.

Thanks! I''ll give this a shot, but do as you recommended and
put that folder in a temp area.

quick question:

Which version of Cosmos are you using Alpha/Beta? and why? I randomly picked alpha because it works. I have no idea on the differences and it wasn''t straightforward to find the differences on their website.

I am using the latest alpha version and it worked perfectly for me all last night. I really missed Cosmos for the 2 days I didn''t have it.

I used the beta and Cosmos finally worked. I couldn''t get Alpha too tho''. Thanks all. I missed it too.

Alan, Beta is simply more robust, since it does not have the absolute latest untested code. I stick with Beta.

I''ve yet to have a problem with the alpha but I keep on top of it since I seem to be a rarity.

I noticed this morning that it seems the uploads to thottbot are working again.

That''s cool that uploads are working again!

The uploads are still way behind. In only 3 days my rogue has drastically improved his gear and stats but you can''t see that for about anothe week.

So does the Allakhazam version work faster/better?

The allakhazam does work faster because it actually gets it from client and uploads it.

Thottbot does it''s update on the next startup so if you don''t run cosmos when playing you''re updates do get sent ''right away''. Then there''s the issue of time. It seems that even when things are running smoothly on the TB site that the profiles are about 2 days behind. They do update tho, I went from 3.8 days to 2.5 days old, they''re just behind. To me it''s not a super big deal other than ease to find out what I have on my guy in ''e-penis'' threads. I lose a lot anyway.