10-20-04 LOST - warning SPOILERS

Okay, it's happened again. This time I was driving back from visiting relatives, and a power outage destroyed my program to record tonights episode of LOST. Could someone give me an overview of what happened?

Thanks!

Hmm.. well, let''s see. This might get long so grab a drink.

It started off with some chick out in the water drowning. The doc swims out to try and save her and ends up saving that cocky young guy (the one with the sister) who had tried to swim out to save her also (the doc didn''t know he was out there). Once he''s got the guy in his arms he realizes the chick is still out there.. but he can''t save them both so he swims back in hoping he can drop the guy off and go back for the girl. It doesn''t work out and the girl drowns... score another for the island.. 46 left to go. (she was just one of the ""red shirts"" and not any of the characters we''ve seen)

And so begins the flashbacks for the Doc character. We learn that as a kid (12 or so) one of his friends was getting beat up and the doc tried to help him out and got his ass kicked too. His dad sat him down and told him that he was basically a loser and he shouldn''t bother trying to help others. We find out his dad is the Chief Surgeon at some hosptial and he''s a borderline alcoholic.

So now the doc is beating himself over the girl drowning and everyone is turning to him to be their leader and he doesn''t want to do it. He''s tired of making decisions. The fat guy and the Replublican Guard guy come tell him that they''re running out of water (they have about 18 bottles left for 46 people), but he blows them off. So of course he starts seeing the guy in the suit standing in the water and then later walking into the jungle. He follows this ""ghost"" and this time he doesn''t disappear.. he''s able to follow him into the jungle. And of course we find out the ""ghost"" is his father. Meanwhile.. the little supply of water the survivors did have disappears and nobody knows where the 18 bottles of water went. Locke decides he''s gonna go into the jungle and find fresh water for everyone and off he goes.

There''s some minor stuff where the other characters think the other jackass young guy (the one who was raiding the suitcases) might have stolen the water. He''s selling off the items he''s pilfered to the other survivors for cash or favors. It turns out he traded his last bottle of water to the chinese couple for a fish and he didn''t steal the water as they thought. Also the pregnant chick faints in the heat so now she''s in the tent being taken care of.

We have more flashbacks with the Doc through out the episode where his dad is being a dick and then there''s something about him getting all drunk and disappearing. The Doc tracks him down to Sydney where he finds out his dad got so drunk and taking so many meds that he had a heart attack.

So the Doc is out in the jungle following the apparition when he trips and falls down a hill and rolls over the edge of a cliff. He hangs there for a little while and right before he''s about to plummet to the rocks below Locke, who went into the jungle looking for water, reachs down and saves him. They have a little chit chat and Locke tells him that the island is magic and that maybe this ""person"" the Doc has been seeing is real after all. Locke says ""I''ve looked into the heart of the island and it was beautiful"". So then Locke says he''s going to continue to look for water and when the Doc tries to follow him Locke tells him he has to stay in the jungle and finish whatever he was doing. So the Doc spends the night in the jungle. While sitting around his campfire he here''s the tinkle of ice in a glass and see''s his father again... and the chase is on again. This time he discovers a small waterfall of fresh water with a freaky looking white doll in the little pond. He picks up the doll and then he looks around and realizes there''s dolls all around him... and after looking around more realizes he''s found more wreckage from the plane. In the light of his torch we see that he''s found a coffin.

Another flashback and we discover that after the Doc ID''s the body of his father he''s now trying to fly back home (I think back to L.A.). He''s talking to an airline person about getting his father''s body in the cargo hold to be flown back for the funeral.

Cut back to the coffin and the Doc pulls suitcases and stuff off of it and swings it open... and surprise, surprise.. it''s empty. Well the good doctor slams it shut and procedes to beat the ever loving crap out of the coffin until it''s in splinters. So the ""ghost"" or whatever has led him to the wreckage and the fresh water.. and the coffin, but it''s empty. So.. was it really a ghost or is his father really walking around the island now.. raised from the dead?

Back on the beach, the cocky young guy (with the sister) who had almost drowned that morning is now attempting to give the pregnant girl some water and the drug addict sees him. He drags him out onto the beach and pronounces him the water thief and they find out that it was him. Everyone is getting ready to kick his ass when the Doc comes out of the jungle and breaks things up. He tells them that they can''t live like this.. nobody is coming to rescue them.. they need to get organized.. basically, he''s decided he''s going to their leader now. Plus, since he found fresh water that''s taken care of and he''ll show everyone where it is at first light.

Everthing after that was minor.. they celebrated by finishing off the last of the 18 bottles of water they had. The water thief (the guy with the sister) is sitting all alone and the other jackass walks up to him and thanks him for taking his place as the most hated guy on the island, laughs, and walks away. It ends with the Doc and hot chick sitting on the beach and she asks him what he was doing in the jungle. He just says he had something to do.. and then he tells her that his dad died in Sydney... and roll credits.

Wow! Thank you for the detailed description. Now I just have to catch next week''s episode....

I think there''s going to be an encore presentation of this episode on Saturday Sheared.

Excellent recap Vega.

"Vega" wrote:

Hmm.. well, let''s see. This might get long so grab a drink.

It started off with some chick out in the water drowning. The doc swims out to try and save her and ends up saving that cocky young guy (the one with the sister) who had tried to swim out to save her also (the doc didn''t know he was out there). Once he''s got the guy in his arms he realizes the chick is still out there.. but he can''t save them both so he swims back in hoping he can drop the guy off and go back for the girl. It doesn''t work out and the girl drowns... score another for the island.. 46 left to go. (she was just one of the ""red shirts"" and not any of the characters we''ve seen)

And so begins the flashbacks for the Doc character. We learn that as a kid (12 or so) one of his friends was getting beat up and the doc tried to help him out and got his ass kicked too. His dad sat him down and told him that he was basically a loser and he shouldn''t bother trying to help others. We find out his dad is the Chief Surgeon at some hosptial and he''s a borderline alcoholic.

So now the doc is beating himself over the girl drowning and everyone is turning to him to be their leader and he doesn''t want to do it. He''s tired of making decisions. The fat guy and the Replublican Guard guy come tell him that they''re running out of water (they have about 18 bottles left for 46 people), but he blows them off. So of course he starts seeing the guy in the suit standing in the water and then later walking into the jungle. He follows this ""ghost"" and this time he doesn''t disappear.. he''s able to follow him into the jungle. And of course we find out the ""ghost"" is his father. Meanwhile.. the little supply of water the survivors did have disappears and nobody knows where the 18 bottles of water went. Locke decides he''s gonna go into the jungle and find fresh water for everyone and off he goes.

There''s some minor stuff where the other characters think the other jackass young guy (the one who was raiding the suitcases) might have stolen the water. He''s selling off the items he''s pilfered to the other survivors for cash or favors. It turns out he traded his last bottle of water to the chinese couple for a fish and he didn''t steal the water as they thought. Also the pregnant chick faints in the heat so now she''s in the tent being taken care of.

We have more flashbacks with the Doc through out the episode where his dad is being a dick and then there''s something about him getting all drunk and disappearing. The Doc tracks him down to Sydney where he finds out his dad got so drunk and taking so many meds that he had a heart attack.

So the Doc is out in the jungle following the apparition when he trips and falls down a hill and rolls over the edge of a cliff. He hangs there for a little while and right before he''s about to plummet to the rocks below Locke, who went into the jungle looking for water, reachs down and saves him. They have a little chit chat and Locke tells him that the island is magic and that maybe this ""person"" the Doc has been seeing is real after all. Locke says ""I''ve looked into the heart of the island and it was beautiful"". So then Locke says he''s going to continue to look for water and when the Doc tries to follow him Locke tells him he has to stay in the jungle and finish whatever he was doing. So the Doc spends the night in the jungle. While sitting around his campfire he here''s the tinkle of ice in a glass and see''s his father again... and the chase is on again. This time he discovers a small waterfall of fresh water with a freaky looking white doll in the little pond. He picks up the doll and then he looks around and realizes there''s dolls all around him... and after looking around more realizes he''s found more wreckage from the plane. In the light of his torch we see that he''s found a coffin.

Another flashback and we discover that after the Doc ID''s the body of his father he''s now trying to fly back home (I think back to L.A.). He''s talking to an airline person about getting his father''s body in the cargo hold to be flown back for the funeral.

Cut back to the coffin and the Doc pulls suitcases and stuff off of it and swings it open... and surprise, surprise.. it''s empty. Well the good doctor slams it shut and procedes to beat the ever loving crap out of the coffin until it''s in splinters. So the ""ghost"" or whatever has led him to the wreckage and the fresh water.. and the coffin, but it''s empty. So.. was it really a ghost or is his father really walking around the island now.. raised from the dead?

Back on the beach, the cocky young guy (with the sister) who had almost drowned that morning is now attempting to give the pregnant girl some water and the drug addict sees him. He drags him out onto the beach and pronounces him the water thief and they find out that it was him. Everyone is getting ready to kick his ass when the Doc comes out of the jungle and breaks things up. He tells them that they can''t live like this.. nobody is coming to rescue them.. they need to get organized.. basically, he''s decided he''s going to their leader now. Plus, since he found fresh water that''s taken care of and he''ll show everyone where it is at first light.

Everthing after that was minor.. they celebrated by finishing off the last of the 18 bottles of water they had. The water thief (the guy with the sister) is sitting all alone and the other jackass walks up to him and thanks him for taking his place as the most hated guy on the island, laughs, and walks away. It ends with the Doc and hot chick sitting on the beach and she asks him what he was doing in the jungle. He just says he had something to do.. and then he tells her that his dad died in Sydney... and roll credits.

Geez, what were you doing, taking notes?

"simpilot" wrote:

Geez, what were you doing, taking notes?

My thoughts exactly. Someone needs to buy our boy Jack a razor. Even when he was in Sydney, he had face full of gruff. Not very doctor like.

Well one of the flashbacks was of him trying to get the airline to allow him to take his father home on the flight so that he could bury his father. The flashback ends with him near tears begging the girl at the counter to do him favor because he can''t take it anymore, he doesn''t want to wait he just wants to get him in the ground and get it all over with.

I think he was not able to get his father on the plane and he was bringing back an empty coffin to bury because he couldn''t take it anymore. That was my impression.

The show keeps getting better and better. Color me impressed that it has held my attention this long. It is turning into some quality TV and should hopefully hold me over until the next season of Nip/Tuck.

Question, when Jack was hanging on for dear life, did I catch a stream below? Wouldn''t that have provided fresh water as well?

That detail aside - another excellent episode. Thank God this show has turned out to be much more than ""Gilligan''s Island - The Drama!"".

Chum

"simpilot" wrote:

Geez, what were you doing, taking notes?

lol.. no, it''s just he asked right after the show ended so it was still fresh in my mind. Sometimes I get a little type happy when the thoughts start flowing...

"Gaald" wrote:

I think he was not able to get his father on the plane and he was bringing back an empty coffin to bury because he couldn''t take it anymore. That was my impression.

Good observation Gaald.. that''s a good possibility. Maybe it was the memory of his father that was haunting him since he gave up and just took an empty coffin. I suppose the other possiblity is the airline lady lied and said she''d take care of it, but just had the empty coffin put on the plane. I suppose we''ll find out more next week since in the previews it looked like a group of people are going back out to the waterfall.

Perhaps this is going to be kind of like a reverse Fantasy Island (minus Tattoo and da plane). Where the island brings forth your worst nightmare, but if you''re able to face it.. then... then... I dunno, it leaves you be? Ooo wait.. something just clicked. Perhaps the island reads your dreams and helps you become whatever it is you''ve dreamed of being. Take Locke.. he''s wheelchair bound, but has it in his head to go on this survival safari type of thing. He''s obviously studied about it.. it''s his dream to be a survivalist. He crashes on the island and now suddenly he''s the survivalist.. he can walk.. fish.. hunt boar (even though the ""island"" possibly really killed it for him).. and find water (well he tried). This is his dream come true. Now take the Doc.. we see the flashbacks where his father basically tells him he''s a loser and he doesn''t have what it takes to be a leader. He grows up feeling unsure of himself and unsure of his decisions. The ""island"" pushes him on that.. putting him in a position where he has to choose one life over another out in the water. Then.. once he faces the truth about his father (possibly leaving him behind in Sydney) and smashing up the coffin... now all of a sudden he''s taking the leadership role. This is his dream to be able to lead people and save them. The girl.. hmm.. I''m not sure about her flashback episode. Maybe it was just her dream to escape.. the whole time she just wants to escape her previous life, whatever it was she did or happened to her. Having crashed on the island.. her capturer killed. I guess her dream came true too.. she''s free and she has a fresh new start with all these strangers.

The monster... who knows. It didn''t have any problem eating up the pilot but it left Locke alone. You got me on that one.

His dad sat him down and told him that he was basically a loser and he shouldn''t bother trying to help others.

Actually I believe his father was telling him he could not save everybody, and to be a good doctor, he could not try or he would be devastated whenever he lost a patient, so he did not have what it takes because he was too caring.

Question, when Jack was hanging on for dear life, did I catch a stream below

To me, it looked like rocks and the ocean I think.

Perhaps the island reads your dreams and helps you become whatever it is you''ve dreamed of being.

This does not explain the polar bear or the mysterious 16 year old recording. So I disagree with any fantasy Island or Star Trek Paradise theory so far.

Great write up!

I ask again: is anyone taping these? I have the pilot, but haven''t been able to catch the 3rd and 4th episodes. I''m at that point where I really want to watch, but I don''t think I''ll really be able to catch on without seeing the first episodes.

If no one''s taping them, that''s cool too... maybe I can read some recaps and catch up... but I thought I''d ask.

"Chum" wrote:

Question, when Jack was hanging on for dear life, did I catch a stream below? Wouldn''t that have provided fresh water as well?

Actually, all I saw was rocks...or perhaps a dried up riverbed. But then again, I really wasn''t as concerned about water right then, as I''m sure Jack wasn''t either.

Damn, I missed the frickin'' Polar Bear. I think the writers have shown themselves quite capable of manipulating our perceptions within the show. I think I''m going to wait a few more weeks before I begin to speculate about what''s causing all the weirdness.

EDIT: Warlock, sure you can. At least catch a plot synopsis of each show. If you can do it without spoilers, so much the better. The last three eps have been heavy on characterization, and it doesn''t seem like that''s going to change anytime soon. The overall story arc is moving very slowly, and it shouldn''t take much for you to catch on. Check for the torrent link on one of the other threads, too.

"karmajay" wrote:

This does not explain the polar bear or the mysterious 16 year old recording. So I disagree with any fantasy Island or Star Trek Paradise theory so far.

Ya.. that was a sticking point for me too, but really.. I think those were put to purposely throw us off at the start.. generate the mystery. If you look at it.. the thing with the polar bear mainly involved Sawyer.. he''s the one who stood his ground and shot it to death. (Speaking of.. why the hell didn''t they skin that mother and cook up some big steaks!) We have yet to see his story, so that may be explained at that point (perhaps he has a weird childhood fear of polar bears? who knows..). Also.. the 16 year recording thing.. that mainly involves Sayid since he''s the one that discovered the signal and he''s currently trying to build devices to track it''s origin. I think we''ll find out more about that once Sayid starts tracking the signal and we''ll see his flashbacks.

For recaps, there''s always the www.televsionwithoutpity.com website (though I don''t think I''m in agreement with the tenor of the re-capper of this series).

ABC made it *very* unclear to me about Saturday; my impression is that they are showing the two-hour opener again.

You can also go here for the offical recaps of each episode. Wish I''d checked there earlier.. I would have just cut and pasted there''s.. lol...

I forgot about Bittorrent. I''ll have to look tonight (after I figure out how to open ports 6881-7000).

Also, yes... I enjoy TWoP, but really didn''t like the style of the recapper for Lost.

Well, warlock, I''m glad it''s not just me that doesn''t like that style; I think maybe it''s because I think better of the show (as an entity) than he does.

Time will tell; I know they ""do"" change out recappers.

Regarding ''polar bears'', ''unseen monster'', ''16 yr. old radio tramission'' and all things unexplained. Quinn''s character made a point to Jack that the island had a strange ''feeling'' to it. Everyone feels it, but no one want''s to talk about it. So, conjecture: some kind of dimensional warp?; ''valley from the distant past'' (i.e. like some shows where things of long, long ago have some how survived in a primitive ecosystem and for one reason or another, a barrier that allowed this closed system is gone); Alien playground of Earth''s crits; etc.(there''s that mystery of Quinn''s leg''s now working too).

There''s a big article on it in TV Guide, including the revelation that the kid (whose name I forget at the moment) was reading a comic book featuring a polar bear in the episode with the polar bear. The producers say there was a good reason behind that...

That''s right.. I forgot about that. I remember the kid had found a comic book, but it was in Spanish or something. I didn''t really pay attention to what was in the panels.. just noticed it was a different language.

It was a Spanish translation of a Green Lantern/Arrow (again, forget which) that involved the hero getting into a battle with space aliens only to realize that their conflict was based on a misunderstanding and the aliens really aren''t hostile, or somesuch. Again, the producers say there is method to this madness. Every gesture has a meaning.

I have all the episodes. Most of them recorded on my PVR (transcoded into WMV) and the gaps I downloaded DivX episodes. If anyone needs them, let me know.

So it sounds like Sphere only this time it doesn''t suck on the screen.

Marlin, as I''ve managed to miss every single episode of this show, how big are those files?

I''ve kept up with what''s going on through the net, but I would like to actually watch the show if possible.

If the files are huge I''ll just wait however long it takes for this to hit DVD.

Average around 400MB-500MB per episode. I can arrange for you to grab them from me or you could Bittorrent them as well.

Ooh... yes, Marlin, I''d be interested. Let me try torrenting them tonight, but if I don''t have any luck, maybe we can work something else out.

"Eezy_Bordone" wrote:

So it sounds like Sphere only this time it doesn''t suck on the screen.

Exactly. My initial impressions of the show were along those lines and had me worried, but it hasn''t disappointed so far. Then again, I kind of liked Sphere (the novel) and thought the movie was just really, really, poorly done. Or was it that the story was just too hokey to do well as a flick? I forget.

"buzzvang" wrote:
"Eezy_Bordone" wrote:

So it sounds like Sphere only this time it doesn''t suck on the screen.

Exactly. My initial impressions of the show were along those lines and had me worried, but it hasn''t disappointed so far. Then again, I kind of liked Sphere (the novel) and thought the movie was just really, really, poorly done. Or was it that the story was just too hokey to do well as a flick? I forget.

Wow! I totally forgot about Sphere. The book was decent, but I agree, the movie was poorly done. But to tell you the truth, I need to go watch it again for I barely remember it. (and to a lesser extent, the book).