Bush to increase funding to the NEA

Bush it set to increase funding to the National Endowment for the Arts. What do you think?

LOOK OVER HERE! I''M THE ARTS AND SPACE PRESIDENT! IGNORE THE SCARY THINGS OVER THERE!

Oh, and only artwork that depicts Jesus or Dubya is eligible. I slay me.

Seriously though, it''s 18 million bucks. Woo. That''s like what, 1/3 the cost of a single F/A-18 Super Hornet? Big spenders on the arts, the Bushes are.

I am a little leery when it comes to State sponsored Art; the definition of art is so subjective. Maybe if the art has some use or function or coincides or related to another Government function. Some government sponsored art that I have seen is to me, a waste of government resources.

"ColdForged" wrote:

LOOK OVER HERE! I''M THE ARTS AND SPACE PRESIDENT! IGNORE THE SCARY THINGS OVER THERE!

Oh, and only artwork that depicts Jesus or Dubya is eligible. I slay me.

Seriously though, it''s 18 million bucks. Woo. That''s like what, 1/3 the cost of a single F/A-18 Super Hornet? Big spenders on the arts, the Bushes are.

Biggest increase in 20 years and it costs less to fund art then it does to win war.

Oh, and only artwork that depicts Jesus or Dubya is eligible.

How would those be different?

One prominent conservativeseems to disagree with you, Ral.

I never thought I''d see the day that Rush Limbaugh criticized a sitting Republican president. Is this one of the signs of the apocalypse?

"ColdForged" wrote:

Big spenders on the arts, the Bushes are.

Would you prefer that he do nothing? Kinda screwed either way, isn''t he?

"Minase" wrote:

I never thought I''d see the day that Rush Limbaugh criticized a sitting Republican president. Is this one of the signs of the apocalypse?

No, probably more like a sign that a) Rush Limbaugh is more conservative that you believed or b) George Bush is more of a moderate than you thought.

This was a rather odd announcement from the White House, but until I hear more details I''m just going to hope for the best: that it''s sort of a Microsoftian ""embrace and extend"" method to make the NEA more about supporting legitimate, hardworking artists (regardless of political affiliation) and less about throwing money at granola-eating types who throw feces in a jar and call it art.

I never thought I''d see the day that Rush Limbaugh criticized a sitting Republican president. Is this one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Maybe you don''t know him as well as you thought then. He spent a large portion of last year pointing out the problems in Bush''s domestic policy. When the immigrant ""amnesty"" was announced he spent about 2 shows covering possible advantages and likely disadvantages of the policy. The information I have learned from Rush has left me feeling less than enthusiastic about voting for Bush again.

Don''t get me wrong - I completely agree with Rush on this one. I have a lot more respect for him now that he has publicly taken this administration to task over their spending. I''m disgusted enough myself with this administration to vote 3rd party this year - if Bush continues to alienate his base, he''d better hope for a Nader run or he may follow in his fathers footsteps.

"ralcydan" wrote:
Oh, and only artwork that depicts Jesus or Dubya is eligible.

How would those be different?

"Rantage" wrote:

Would you prefer that he do nothing? Kinda screwed either way, isn''t he?

Oh sure. That''s the nature of the beast though. Spend nothing? ""Asshole hates the arts."" Spend too little? ""But he spent 3 times that on condoms for the Pentagon."" Spend too much? ""Throwing money around like a damned liberal.""

No, I don''t envy him ;).

Hey, don''t knock Operation Kevlar Kondom. R&D on that made my company millions.

This board aside, many conservatives are noticing that Bush is a ""cut taxes and increase spending"" president, and are none too happy.

Will history call him the ""Entitlement Republican""?

"Roo" wrote:

This board aside, many conservatives are noticing that Bush is a ""cut taxes and increase spending"" president, and are none too happy.

Will history call him the ""Entitlement Republican""?

He is an Eastern Republican or a JFK Democrat.