In need of a graphics card upgrade...

Well, looks like the GeForce 3 might be the cause of all the CTD problems I've been having lately (with Splinter Cell and Raven Shield in particular). Any recommendations for somebody not willing to blow a ton of cash?

Ton of cash is always in the eye of the beholder. I picked up an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro for a penny under 200 at CompUSA, though. They had a $20 rebate going on, possibly until this weekend. It''s 128MB of DDR RAM and DirectX 9 functionality. It ate up the Freelancer demo. Simply beautiful.

"Sway" wrote:

Ton of cash is always in the eye of the beholder. I picked up an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro for a penny under 200 at CompUSA, though. They had a $20 rebate going on, possibly until this weekend. It''s 128MB of DDR RAM and DirectX 9 functionality. It ate up the Freelancer demo. Simply beautiful.

Whoa, whoa. 200 or even 150 is a bit too much. I just need something to tide me over until the next wave of big cards hits the markets.

""I''m just trying to get in; I''m not running for ''Jesus.''""

"Rat Boy" wrote:
"Sway" wrote:

Ton of cash is always in the eye of the beholder. I picked up an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro for a penny under 200 at CompUSA, though. They had a $20 rebate going on, possibly until this weekend. It''s 128MB of DDR RAM and DirectX 9 functionality. It ate up the Freelancer demo. Simply beautiful.

Whoa, whoa. 200 or even 150 is a bit too much. I just need something to tide me over until the next wave of big cards hits the markets.

""I''m just trying to get in; I''m not running for ''Jesus.''""

You can get a 9000 for about a hundred bucks mail order or a 9500 with 64mb for about $135. Go hit www.pricewatch.com... I hear you can get voodoo 5 cards pretty cheap these days

hahaha since yer a cheap bastard, why dont you buy a VOODOO 1

HAHAHA

You should probably be able to pick up a geforce 4 MX or possibly even a Ti 4200 pretty cheaply I have a Ti 4200 and I haven''t run into any problems with any games so far.

If you''re looking budget, the GF4 Ti4200 is the way to go. stay far, far away from the mx cards, since they''re not really built on the GF4 core.

Or, I could upgrade to DX9 and fix half my problems, the other half being their problems (Oh Unreal Engine, why can''t you be more like the Quake 3 Engine?).

"Rat Boy" wrote:

Or, I could upgrade to DX9 and fix half my problems!

It could but in my case, i have GF4 Ti4600, and after the install DX9, Splinter Cell Begs for end of existence, though with the new drivers it got a bit better, I still wish I was running 8.1a DX. I had no problems then...

PS... GF MX line has totally different processor line... I advise not to get it even though it''s cheap...

It did clear up a lot of problems I was having with the Raven Shield demo, but it still crashes whenever I get to a certain door in the complex or if I try to use the NVGs.

Edit: And apparently it crashes if I get shot. Well, if there wasn''t enough incentive not to get Chavez killed in action...

From what I''ve been reading online, it seems these problems with the Raven Shield demo are fairly widespread. Since it went gold weeks ago, chances are the problems will be in the retail version. Guess I''ll wait for the patch...