Master of Orion 3

It's coming this week! How's the anticipation level for you?

Tom Chick kicked my anticipation right in the nads.

Review

I don''t really like having so much depth that I can drown in the details.

I gave that review (aka sadistic ranting) about as much credence as I''ll give any GameSpot review written by a certain somebody. That, and supposedly he apparently intentionally violated QS/IG''s rule about not publishing images of the Harvesters/Ithkul, which probably just shows his contempt.

I think I''ll love it, I''m really excited.. That''s the stuff I like about PC games, all that depth. Morrowind and the Star Wars game that played like a spreadsheet (Rebellion?). If depth was semen, I''d be one serious bukkake whore. Uhhh... Did I say that or did I think it?

Back away from the Mex, people!

I have to agree with Rat Boy on this one. It''s hard to give Tom Chick credibility when he doesn''t like Deus Ex and hated Warcraft 3 because of it''s bad interface (?).

Here are some other, more positive reviews of the game:

http://www.orionsector.com/pages/etc/osreview.shtml

http://pc.ign.com/articles/386/386281p1.html

http://www.ugo.com/channels/games/f...moo3/review.asp

Of course maybe Chick is right and MOO 3 is nothing more than a glorified spreadsheet simulator. The only way to find out is to play it.

"A_lonely_hat" wrote:
I have to agree with Rat Boy on this one. It''s hard to give Tom Chick credibility when he doesn''t like Deus Ex and hated Warcraft 3 because of it''s bad interface (?).

Man, and I thought the guys at AICN were all over the place.

Of course maybe Chick is right and MOO 3 is nothing more than a glorified spreadsheet simulator. The only way to find out is to play it.

Well, look at this way: all computer programs are driven by and run on numbers, no matter what the end-user sees flashing on his/her screen.

My excitement for this has never been as high as I might have hoped. All the reviews I''ve read have pretty much been predicated on the idea that you''ll need to spend 10+ hours with the game from the start just to get a handle on it, and that the strategy guide is a must buy. I''m not going to get on my high horse about games that require a strategy guide, but it does turn my enthusiasm down several notches. I''ll almost certainly wait a few weeks to see if the early review enthusiasm maintains or if MOO3 becomes the Black and White of 2003.

- Elysium

Tom Chick kicked my anticipation right in the nads.

Yup, I got confused just reading the description of him navigating through the game. *Scratches MOO3 from to buy list*!

/Sigh, so what 4x space games are worth playing, if Moo3 goes into spreadsheet land?

Tom Chick may have some interesting viewpoints (deus ex, cough) but regardless, his overall record is exemplary in my eyes. One of the better ''game critics'' working today, I think.

"Gorey" wrote:
Tom Chick may have some interesting viewpoints (deus ex, cough) but regardless, his overall record is exemplary in my eyes. One of the better ''game critics'' working today, I think.

Yes, but when he''s wrong, he''s wrong spectacularly.

Yes, but when he''s wrong, he''s wrong spectacularly.

Wrong...um, hate to break it to ya'', but you can''t be ""wrong"" in a value judgement. Tom''s view certainly differs from the prevailing opinion, but this doesn''t make him wrong, just, well, different.

As for MOO3, I think I''ll just sit back and play wait and see with that one...

"Naked" wrote:
Yes, but when he''s wrong, he''s wrong spectacularly.

Wrong...um, hate to break it to ya'', but you can''t be ""wrong"" in a value judgement. Tom''s view certainly differs from the prevailing opinion, but this doesn''t make him wrong, just, well, different.

As for MOO3, I think I''ll just sit back and play wait and see with that one...

All right, when he''s in the minority, he''s in the minority specatularly.

You seem to be on a rampage with the loving or the hating of games before actually playing them Rat Boy

"Certis" wrote:
You seem to be on a rampage with the loving or the hating of games before actually playing them Rat Boy :)

Give me some credit with Freelancer; I played the demo.

"Gorey" wrote:
/Sigh, so what 4x space games are worth playing, if Moo3 goes into spreadsheet land?

Tom Chick may have some interesting viewpoints (deus ex, cough) but regardless, his overall record is exemplary in my eyes. One of the better ''game critics'' working today, I think.


First off, Starships Unlimited: Divided Galaxies is a FANTASTIC 4X space game, and one I hope gets more attention. I''ve been playing it a LOT and it might just be better than MOO3.

Secondly, Tom Chick is one of the most respected and experienced gaming journalists around. While one can''t always agree with him, one must respect his blatant honesty. I''d MUCH rather believe him than Jonah ""fanboi"" Falcon''s overtly glowing review.

Decided not to buy this unless they post a demo, Too much money for what might be a big spreadsheet with fancy graphics.

Demo...or no go. For me at least.

"Veloxi" wrote:
Secondly, Tom Chick is one of the most respected and experienced gaming journalists around. While one can''t always agree with him, one must respect his blatant honesty. I''d MUCH rather believe him than Jonah ""fanboi"" Falcon''s overtly glowing review.

Falcon''s review was more fanboyish than the one at The Orion Sector.