Three More Years of The Simpsons

In case you're not obsessively refreshing our front page (like you're supposed to!), here's a story with news that the Simpsons have been picked up through 2005. Now, I love the Simpsons as much as the next guy, but I can't help but wonder if the quality is diminishing over time. It's the classic Television quality bell curve, a series hits its stride around the third season, sustains that for four, five, maybe six seasons if they're lucky, and then it just falls apart. So does this news excite you, or just make you worry that the show will just degrade and finally be cancelled with its tail tucked between its legs?

- Elysium

I still think it''s funny. Maybe not as good as the golden age of season 4, but still funny.

WooHoo!!

Still one of the funniest shows on TV, funnier than most comedy producers can even dream about, though not as funny as it used to be. I agree with Elysium in the hope that the show doesn''t just degrade and become unfunny and get cancelled. I want to see it go out with a bang! As homer says

Good things does not end with ""ium"". They end with ""mania"" or ""teria"".""

Please don''t let in end in tedium!

...hope that the show doesn''t just degrade and become unfunny...

I''m sure I''m not the only one who hears plenty of murmuring suggesting that this has already happened. I still like the show, and watch it whenever I can (which doesn''t turn out to be too often anymore, which may be why I still think it''s a good program)

If you wish the Simpsons cancelled, then turn your TV off and pretend. Just let the rest of us watch in peace.

Simpsons is great, and to me they haven''t gotten old yet (been watchin since they got their own show).

Do you know where my sig came from?

Extra Points: Can you tell me the episode?

Still about the only show I try to make a point of watching. Someday I will have them all on dvd!

Well, I don''t think its quite as funny. But I don''t think all television shows fall to it. Hell, I think South Park gets funnier every episode, although it almost hit its peak with ""Scott Tenderman(however you spell his last name) must die.

Do you know where my sig came from?

Don''t know the episode name but its the episode where Bart has a crush on Mcbains daughter.

The show is still great. The show has more of a ""hit and miss"" compared to the older seasons.

GJ Kegboy! I was looking for a name in particular (I don''t it either) but the general story is good.

Good one, people tend to have a problem with the couple lines in my sig!

whether or not the simpsons is as good as it used to be, i would be shocked to find out i was never going to see a new episode ever again.

Simpsons is tired and old. I''d kill for more Family Guy, however.

Elysium wrote:

In case you're not obsessively refreshing our front page (like you're supposed to!), here's a story with news that the Simpsons have been picked up through 2005. Now, I love the Simpsons as much as the next guy, but I can't help but wonder if the quality is diminishing over time. It's the classic Television quality bell curve, a series hits its stride around the third season, sustains that for four, five, maybe six seasons if they're lucky, and then it just falls apart. So does this news excite you, or just make you worry that the show will just degrade and finally be cancelled with its tail tucked between its legs?

- Elysium

Oh my sweet summer child ....

IMAGE(https://media.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/200.gif)

I think we have to keep this trending as a surprise thread of the week. Hottakes gone wrong

I'm sure if you mine the forums, there are plenty of opinions and statements that have aged like milk.

I sometimes think about that Half-life thread where I make a joke about Episode 3 probably not coming out until 2015 and begin to cry.

I do sometimes wish there was a way of looking at your own posts in reverse chronological order, regardless of thread. I've had some real bad takes in the last 12 years and at least some of them are probably on this forum.

bnpederson wrote:

I do sometimes wish there was a way of looking at your own posts in reverse chronological order, regardless of thread. I've had some real bad takes in the last 12 years and at least some of them are probably on this forum.

Oh goodness yes. I would love to see some of my worst, oldest takes.

Elysium wrote:

In case you're not obsessively refreshing our front page (like you're supposed to!), here's a story with news that the Simpsons have been picked up through 2005. Now, I love the Simpsons as much as the next guy, but I can't help but wonder if the quality is diminishing over time. It's the classic Television quality bell curve, a series hits its stride around the third season, sustains that for four, five, maybe six seasons if they're lucky, and then it just falls apart. So does this news excite you, or just make you worry that the show will just degrade and finally be cancelled with its tail tucked between its legs?

- Elysium

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/S26ZSAf.jpg)

Those are not happy eyes.

So I’m rewatching episodes from the 90s with our son and it’s amazing how so much has stayed the same only worse. This is especially true of political and racial commentary. I’m also struck by how the show was ahead of its time talking about diversity but then somehow got stuck around 1999.

jdzappa wrote:

So I’m rewatching episodes from the 90s with our son and it’s amazing how so much has stayed the same only worse. This is especially true of political and racial commentary. I’m also struck by how the show was ahead of its time talking about diversity but then somehow got stuck around 1999.

You have summarized perfectly why I haven't watched a new episode for the last 15 years or so.

Like, i'm rewatching it from scratch, via D+ and pretty much every second episode has at least one "man/boy in a dress" or thematically similar joke about effeminate dudes.