GWJ Conference Call Episode 403

Conference Call

Ultimate General Gettysburg, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Wildstar, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland, Shadowrun, Commitments to Games, Your Emails and More!

This week Shawn, Elysium, Cory and Julian talk about making long term commitments to games.

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

Chairman_Mao's Timestamps
00.01.35 Shovel Night
00.05.08 Wildstar
00.09.23 Mario Kart 8
00.10.49 Shadowrun: Dragonfall
00.13.30 Divinity: Original Sin
00.17.42 Ultimate General Gettysburg
00.21.52 Wasteland
00.27.50 This week's topic: Commitment to Games!
00.52.02 Your emails!

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Comments

Nice to see someone is finally giving the new MMO Wildtar the attention it deserves. It's name is a bit too similar to Wildstar for sure but but it's a good game in it's own right.

Rope Trick. The spell is the 2nd level spell Wizard spell Rope Trick.

LarryC wrote:

Rope Trick. The spell is the 2nd level spell Wizard spell Rope Trick.

You are correct, sir. I was yelling "Leomund's Secure Shelter!" during my commute but turns out that's something completely different.

Yes! 1994 episode

Just following up from this week's episode, Divinity: Original Sin is fantastic. Fan. Tastic.

LarryC wrote:

Rope Trick. The spell is the 2nd level spell Wizard spell Rope Trick.

I thought it was the pocket dimension one. Damn.

Dangit. Made it through the Steam Sale with a ton of new pile games, and now.. *wishlists Divinity*

Tanglebones wrote:

Dangit. Made it through the Steam Sale with a ton of new pile games, and now.. *wishlists Divinity*

I count myself lucky here. I recently got the first two Divinity games as part of a Humble Bundle and haven't yet played either.

Yay pile!

shoptroll wrote:

Yes! 1994 episode :D

I guess we're official, then. Time to make sure we're all lined up and ready to go!

It's time to podcast like it's 1994!

Really liked this week's topic on commitment to games. My own commitment is a fickle thing. I spent nearly a year playing nothing but Guild Wars 2, doing my dailies religiously. And then one day, I just stopped. I'll try to play a game until it's "beaten" (either until the end of a storyline or until I'm tired of it), but sometimes I'll drop it so fast it'll make its virtual head spin.

I guess that my approach is a bit like Sean Sands' now. My time is too precious, and I'm done feeling guilt or shame. I'm playing to have fun and/or to relax. Mostly. I'm also trying to cull the aptly named pile of shame.

I loved this week's episode and can't wait to hear about 1994 next week!

I've found it harder and harder to carve out time for myself to game lately, but it is absolutely something I look at in a way others might view meditative release. I don't get guilty when I game, but I sometimes become anxious I've forgotten some responsibility. When a game really has me, I'll set my alarm for an hour earlier and wake up at the crack of dawn just to get an hour of gaming in. Heck, I took a 25 minute Divinity fix this morning.

There is a part of me that wants to just dive in completely and neglect real life... get home from work around 7 PM, game for twelve hours straight, and then head back to work.

wordsmythe wrote:
shoptroll wrote:

Yes! 1994 episode :D

I guess we're official, then. Time to make sure we're all lined up and ready to go!

I'm pretty sure I have a question or two percolating in my brain for that episode. I thought 1998 week was fun, and I'm happy to see you all try that again.

shoptroll wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
shoptroll wrote:

Yes! 1994 episode :D

I guess we're official, then. Time to make sure we're all lined up and ready to go!

I'm pretty sure I have a question or two percolating in my brain for that episode. I thought 1998 week was fun, and I'm happy to see you all try that again.

Ooh, hopefully it'll coincide with the Ultima VII playthrough - can't wait to see this

To help everyone prepare for 1994 week, I'd like to call attention to the Computer Gaming World Museum.

Page counts ran from almost 200 to well over 300 pages an issue in those days, so you might want to start reading now.

LarryC wrote:

Rope Trick. The spell is the 2nd level spell Wizard spell Rope Trick.

11 seconds after I hit "stop" on my recording I grabbed a PHB and then was KILLING MYSELF for not getting it.

I really enjoyed this week's topic. I have very limited time to put into games so I have been figuring out which ones will grab me so I do not waste time on games that I will quickly get bored with.

I put a few hundred hours into Company of Heroes because it was my beer and pretzel game. I would kill a few hours and enjoy passing the time. Hard enough to be interesting but easy enough to not cause stress.

I put 200 hours into EU4 because it is challenging. Damn challenging. It is the Dark Souls of strategy games. I must beat it. At 200 hours, I am still learning the game and achieving new milestones. One day it may turn into a beer and pretzel game.

I commit to games are either a substitute for TV or a fun challenge.

PS: It is Gettysburg, not Gettysberg.

Games that make me want to keep playing them even after they are "done" have a few things in common;

1) a sense of humor that tracks with mine. Granted, my humor tends toward the Addamsian, but if a game makes me laugh I will tend to stick with it. The obvious example would be Saints Row, but some more... disturbing?... examples would be Borderlands 2 and Mercenaries 2. Some of the stuff your characters say in those games really tickled me (example: the Mechromancer class in Borderlands 2 will occasionally scream "TO HELL WITH THE THIRD LAW!" when she summons her robot buddy to fight for her.)

2) A system that somehow rewards skill progression. Typically this translates to points, combo meters or achievements, but it doesn't have to. Dwarf Fortress doesn't really reward you for anything, but it still ate my brain for a few months after I first heard of it.

That's basically it. Be fun and reward proficiency in a definable way.

Looking at my own Steam hours logged, five of my top seven are Borderlands, Torchlight (which is underreporting as i'd had it as a standalone before getting it on Steam again), Torchlight II, Guild Wars 1 and Marvel Heroes. So it looks like what i need to make a commitment to a game is loot. Lots and lots of loot. And quests. Shiny loot from quests. Loot that pops out of monsters. Glorious loot. Loooot....

And i have a probably pointless question about next week. Is this akin to the 1998 episode, and we're listening in on an alternate dimension where you were able to podcast as you were in 1994, and as such would seek emails from us as we were in 1994, or are we listening in on an alternate dimension where the state of gaming is as it was in 1994, and would want emails from our modern selves, but about gaming up to 1994? Or am i overthinking this?

Which by the way was a gaming year that will live forever in my memory. TIE fighter defined my summer and Final Fantasy III (6) defined my winter. I know much will be said about Warcraft, Marathon, the PSX, etc, but for me those two are absolute high points.

rabbit wrote:
LarryC wrote:

Rope Trick. The spell is the 2nd level spell Wizard spell Rope Trick.

11 seconds after I hit "stop" on my recording I grabbed a PHB and then was KILLING MYSELF for not getting it.

Haha. I confess that the only reason I remembered it was because I played a Transmuter in 2e and abused the living daylights out of that spell.

I do believe I had an SNES in those days.
You're gonna skip that entirely in favor of pc games I've never heard of aren't you?

I went to the Wiki to find out what songs were in the top 40 in 1994.

It was basically the playlist on the Muzak my work pipes in to the manufacturing floor. :-/

RolandofGilead wrote:

I do believe I had an SNES in those days.
You're gonna skip that entirely in favor of pc games I've never heard of aren't you?

The entire episode will be dedicated to Marathon and getting hyped for Exile: Escape from the Pit.

You're gonna skip that entirely in favor of pc games I've never heard of aren't you?

...

...

...

yes

RolandofGilead wrote:

I do believe I had an SNES in those days.
You're gonna skip that entirely in favor of pc games I've never heard of aren't you?

Final Fantasy 3. Or 6. Whatever.

Demiurge wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:

I do believe I had an SNES in those days.
You're gonna skip that entirely in favor of pc games I've never heard of aren't you?

Final Fantasy 3. Or 6. Whatever.

Oooh! Who's going to be the one to go all hipster about how Final Fantasy (number) is actually Final Fantasy (larger number) and how Super Mario 2 is actually Super Mario 3?

doubtingthomas396 wrote:
Demiurge wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:

I do believe I had an SNES in those days.
You're gonna skip that entirely in favor of pc games I've never heard of aren't you?

Final Fantasy 3. Or 6. Whatever.

Oooh! Who's going to be the one to go all hipster about how Final Fantasy (number) is actually Final Fantasy (larger number) and how Super Mario 2 is actually Super Mario 3?

Well for starters, you got that last one backwards.
From what I understand, the sequel had too much stuff/taking too long, so they took another game and just reskinned it for Mario and co.

RolandofGilead wrote:
doubtingthomas396 wrote:
Demiurge wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:

I do believe I had an SNES in those days.
You're gonna skip that entirely in favor of pc games I've never heard of aren't you?

Final Fantasy 3. Or 6. Whatever.

Oooh! Who's going to be the one to go all hipster about how Final Fantasy (number) is actually Final Fantasy (larger number) and how Super Mario 2 is actually Super Mario 3?

Well for starters, you got that last one backwards.
From what I understand, the sequel had too much stuff/taking too long, so they took another game and just reskinned it for Mario and co.

I thought it was because American's couldn't handle Japan's Mario 2 (AKA The Lost Levels). Our Mario 2 is called Super Mario USA in Japan I believe.

Greg wrote:

PS: It is Gettysburg, not Gettysberg.

Oh eww. Eww eww eww.

Thanks.

shoptroll wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:
doubtingthomas396 wrote:
Demiurge wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:

I do believe I had an SNES in those days.
You're gonna skip that entirely in favor of pc games I've never heard of aren't you?

Final Fantasy 3. Or 6. Whatever.

Oooh! Who's going to be the one to go all hipster about how Final Fantasy (number) is actually Final Fantasy (larger number) and how Super Mario 2 is actually Super Mario 3?

Well for starters, you got that last one backwards.
From what I understand, the sequel had too much stuff/taking too long, so they took another game and just reskinned it for Mario and co.

I thought it was because American's couldn't handle Japan's Mario 2 (AKA The Lost Levels). Our Mario 2 is called Super Mario USA in Japan I believe.

That's what I was referring to. I thought the Super Mario with the turnips was Japan's SMB3 because "The Lost Levels" was SMB2 in Japan.

Guess I'm not hipster enough.

doubtingthomas396 wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:
doubtingthomas396 wrote:
Demiurge wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:

I do believe I had an SNES in those days.
You're gonna skip that entirely in favor of pc games I've never heard of aren't you?

Final Fantasy 3. Or 6. Whatever.

Oooh! Who's going to be the one to go all hipster about how Final Fantasy (number) is actually Final Fantasy (larger number) and how Super Mario 2 is actually Super Mario 3?

Well for starters, you got that last one backwards.
From what I understand, the sequel had too much stuff/taking too long, so they took another game and just reskinned it for Mario and co.

I thought it was because American's couldn't handle Japan's Mario 2 (AKA The Lost Levels). Our Mario 2 is called Super Mario USA in Japan I believe.

That's what I was referring to. I thought the Super Mario with the turnips was Japan's SMB3 because "The Lost Levels" was SMB2 in Japan.

Guess I'm not hipster enough.

Nothing hipster about it. It's just gaming history/trivia Funny enough, the Japanese wouldn't see our Mario 2 until 1992. Which is well after Super Mario World... so that makes it the 5th Mario game over there.

It was also released before as Doki Doki Panic.