GWJ Conference Call Episode 400

Conference Call

Tropico 5 (are you happy now?!), Deadrock Divide, Pixel Junk Shooter Deluxe, War Thunder, Goat Simulator, Among the Sleep

In which Julian, Sean, Jonathan, Allen and guest Dru Staltman of Bootsnake Games completely fail to notice it's episode 400. Predictions for E3 are mentioned, which are of questionable accuracy.

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

Chairman_Mao's Timestamps
00.01.42 Tropico 5
00.04.20 Deadrock Divide
00.11.01 Pixel Junk Shooter Deluxe
00.12.01 War Thunder
00.14.24 Goat Simulator
00.16.52 Among the Sleep
00.22.14 This week's topic: E3 Predictions!
00.41.33 Your emails!

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

Vanilla Queen - The Meeples - 21:47

Rock Star - The Meeples - 41:01

Comments

Special note -- because I can't remember if this is mentioned in the show -- the break music is our guest Dru Staltman busting out some Vanilla Ice. Also, Graham Rowatt as David Bowie.

And if anyone's following the trainwreck of a GWJ HouseBand -- more Meeples here:

https://soundcloud.com/julian-murdoc...

Congratulations on episode 400. Whoo!

Ugh. My chips and bits preorder of Ultima 8 was my biggest gaming mistake of all time.

400 episodes, wow! Here's to 400 more!

"Train wreck?" Not in the least! At the first break, I wondered who was doing the cover and then I recognized Graham so I exclaimed "oh the Meeples!"

Forget kickoff, E3 is like Fashion Week. You want to see all the pretty dress but who wants to sit there with the snooty models and designers?

About preorders... I think the first I really got excited for before it's release was Assassin's Creed 2 or maybe Mass Effect 2, can't remember which came out first. I've been playing games for over 25 years but never really paid attention to releases until quite recently. Our dad bought the games when I was young, and then I was in college and poor. So yeah... Recent thing for me.

Tanglebones wrote:

Ugh. My chips and bits preorder of Ultima 8 was my biggest gaming mistake of all time.

IMAGE(http://www.it-he.org/u8/pagan_11.gif)

original post wrote:

Tropic 4

wat

Eleima wrote:

Sean's report on Tropico 5 was a bit underwhelming, especially since it's the first day one purchase for me in a long time (even though I still haven't gotten around to playing it).

To offset his underwhelming report, I'll say that I'm really enjoying Tropico 5. That said, the only other Tropico game I've played is T3, and even then I didn't put in a lot of time. So if you're someone who's played all of the previous games, or at least Tropico 3 and 4, I'll defer to Elysium's judgment that you're probably better off sticking with those previous games in the series.

Worth noting: the only reason I got Tropico 5 was because we set up a 4-pack, so I only paid $27 for it. If you're a Tropico fan and curious to see for yourself how T5 compares to its predecessors, I'd recommend waiting for a deep discount sale.

MeatMan, I already got it. Got in on a four pack here in the forums which is why it was a day one purchase. I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Heh.

These E3 predictions are great

(Even without the knowledge from E3, we easily have 2-3 years more of 3DS software ahead of us. System just started its fourth year, and the DS had software support from Nintendo until Kirby's Mass Attack in 2011. So technically the 3DS is just hitting middle-age.)

And yay for more Graham channeling Bowie!

Eleima wrote:

400 episodes, wow! Here's to 400 more!

"Train wreck?" Not in the least! At the first break, I wondered who was doing the cover and then I recognized Graham so I exclaimed "oh the Meeples!"

Forget kickoff, E3 is like Fashion Week. You want to see all the pretty dress but who wants to sit there with the snooty models and designers?

About preorders... I think the first I really got excited for before it's release was Assassin's Creed 2 or maybe Mass Effect 2, can't remember which came out first. I've been playing games for over 25 years but never really paid attention to releases until quite recently. Our dad bought the games when I was young, and then I was in college and poor. So yeah... Recent thing for me.

.

I used to follow games from announcement and preorder the ones I was really excited for.

With a number of exceptions I could count on one hand, they were all disappointments. These days I take long, measured looks at any new, full priced game that looks interesting because the more interesting it looks, the less likely it will live up to my expectations.

MeatMan wrote:
original post wrote:

Tropic 4

wat

Ha! Hadn't spotted that! Sean's report on Tropico 5 was a bit underwhelming, especially since it's the first day one purchase for me in a long time (even though I still haven't gotten around to playing it).
But yeah, Tropico 4 was awesome.

original post wrote:

Tropic 5

Oh yeah, much better now.

Where is Goat Simulator going? I'll tell you where it's going.

Goat Souls.

*mic drop*

Between Goat simulator, Wasteland 2, and various internet memes / shared videos / etc. that involve things other than cats, I have to say that goats are really having their cultural moment.

hubbinsd wrote:

Where is Goat Simulator going? I'll tell you where it's going.

Goat Souls.

*mic drop*

I don't actually have anything to add. This was just amazing.

Eleima wrote:

MeatMan, I already got it. Got in on a four pack here in the forums which is why it was a day one purchase. I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Heh. :D

I knew that. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but my second paragraph was aimed at people who have not yet bought it.

hubbinsd wrote:

Where is Goat Simulator going? I'll tell you where it's going.

Goat Souls.

*mic drop*

Sean, is THIS the game you were looking for?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/27...

IMAGE(http://guides.gamepressure.com/darksouls/gfx/word/469529265.jpg)

For the record, I still have my Atari Jaguar. In fact, I think I have two of them because I bought a second one to play Doom against my father via LAN.

Some of the games were clunkers, true. But there was a lot of fun to be had there. The Jaguar version of Alien Vs Predator is still my favorite implementation of that IP to date. And Cave Dudes was really fun.

There were actually a lot of cross platform titles for it. I recall Rayman, Flashback and Zuma being pretty big at the time. And of course there was Doom and Wolfenstein 3D.

Also, did anyone else play Kasumi Ninja? To my knowledge it was the only Mortal Kombat clone on the market featuring a Scotsman who's projectile attack was to lift the front of his kilt and unleash a gigantic fireball.

IMAGE(http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/27629-kasumi-ninja-jaguar-screenshot-pakawa-vs-angus-best-fighting.jpg)

Yeah. And yes, that is an American Indian he's flashing.

Ultra Vortek was a much better fighter on the Jaguar, but Kasumi Ninja will forever hold a place in my heart.

doubtingthomas396 wrote:

Ultra Vortek was a much better fighter on the Jaguar, but Kasumi Ninja will forever hold a place under my kilt.

FTFY

Congratulations on show 400 guys. I've listened to every one.

Thank you SO much for recommending 'The Republic of Thieves' by Scott Lynch, I picked it up on Audible to support the podcast and I LOVE IT!!!

400! Congrats Gents!

doubtingthomas396 wrote:

Also, did anyone else play Kasumi Ninja? To my knowledge it was the only Mortal Kombat clone on the market featuring a Scotsman who's projectile attack was to lift the front of his kilt and unleash a gigantic fireball.

IMAGE(http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/27629-kasumi-ninja-jaguar-screenshot-pakawa-vs-angus-best-fighting.jpg)

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!

So I'm in a weird state while listening to this episode. I didn't get to the bit about Nintendo until my commute this morning, and I sat down and watched the Nintendo Direct E3 Edition last night.

I can't wait to hear the whoosing sound as the panel backpedals fast enough to create a vacuum on the E3 recap episode next week

Seriously - between the success that Mario Kart 8 has been having over the last two weeks, the prospect of an open-world Zelda that feels like it's channeling Skyrim, and the imminent release of the Smash Bros. - plus everything else shown by Big N, it feels like they're finally hitting a good pace for this console cycle and finally have the software support to move hardware.

McIrishJihad wrote:

Seriously - between the success that Mario Kart 8 has been having over the last two weeks, the prospect of an open-world Zelda that feels like it's channeling Skyrim, and the imminent release of the Smash Bros. - plus everything else shown by Big N, it feels like they're finally hitting a good pace for this console cycle and finally have the software support to move hardware.

I am more excited than I should be for a full game based on the Captain Toad levels from Super Mario 3D World.

So speaking of Nintendo, I'm thoroughly impressed with how well done and highly polished the Directs have been getting.

Heck, having Robot Chicken do the claymation opener (and segment bumpers), and then leading into the MiiFighting announcement with a Matrix-esque fight between Reggie and Iwata was just brilliant.

And then I look at last year's Xbox debacle with the rape joke during Killer Instinct, and this year Ubisoft had the gaff with "modeling playable women is hard" for the next AC game, and all I can think is "I never thought I'd say this, but Nintendo is fundamentally shifting the playfield and no one seems to notice."

TheHarpoMarxist wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:

Ugh. My chips and bits preorder of Ultima 8 was my biggest gaming mistake of all time.

IMAGE(http://www.it-he.org/u8/pagan_11.gif)

Best part in the whole game was actually the "child" NPC:

...
Where do you come from?
- From another world.
- From another town.
Yeah?
What did you do there?

- I fought monsters!
- I helped people.
- I baked bread.
Yeah?
Why are you so tall?

- I was born this way.
- A troll stretched me!
Yeah?
How did you get here?

- I walked.
- I came by boat.
- A big red hand dropped me.
Yeah?
Do you always wear that silly costume?
- Yes, I do.
- No, I do not.
- What silly costume?
- You ask too many questions.
Yeah?
Why are Toraxes big and brown?
- Bye!
- Why are they not blue and red?
Because then they would be kith.
- Yeah?
Yeah!

Actual best part of the game was the opening cinematic and the music. They were both excellent, despite the turd that they graced.