GWJ Conference Call Episode 365

Conference Call

Hearthstone Beta, Battlefield 4 Beta, Boardgames, a reading from Graham Rowat, Your Twitter Questions, Your Emails and More!

Episode 365! Join Elysium, Julian, Cory, Rob Zacny and Shawn as they sit around a table in Tahoe and answer your pressing questions.
We also update on the GWJ donation drive!

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

Chairman_Mao's Timestamps
00.01.55 Hearthstone
00.07.32 BF4 Beta
00.10.30 Rabbit's various athletic injuries
00.12.44 Twilight Struggle
00.15.22 Billiards and other physical games--like Pinball
00.16.30 Donation Drive Update!
00.19.50 Graham Rowats reads The Outsider
00.27.13 Your Twitter questions!
00.40.03 Your emails!

GWJ Donation Drive

Sean Sand's "The Outsider", read by Graham Rowat

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Waking Up - Dexter Britain - http://freemusicarchive.org/music/De... - 19:37

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

Comments

I completely agree with the talk about the next gen consoles. There definitely will be games that I want to play on console that I can't on my (phenom x2) pc or my ps3 but that doesn't appear to be any time near launch for this generation. It doesn't help that there's only one console on offer where I live, so fewer exclusives (not that there are many) to consider.

Good show guys, not sure how but the sound quality improved over the course of the show... So, cool!

Re. Ouya talk: I had no idea that's how you pronounce it. I was pronouncing it "wee-ya". I think it's a terrible name for a console.... But maybe it means something?

Good podcast this week! It's fun listening to everyone sitting in the same room and the shenanigans that occur. Hope you guys have fun during your vacation!

Oh, and thank you Julian for the assist on the pronunciation of name during the Twitter questions.

BF4-

There's small destruction things that take place in the current levels... like ramp ways that are created or removed from destruction of their supports.

The leveling seems to be longer and tuned with battlepacks in mind. Since you get xp boosts from them along with cosmetic upgrades.

They opened up the playstyles or rather weapon choices of the existing classes. So if you're primarily assault you play sniper for awhile and you unlock the DMRs, play support and unlock shotguns, play engineer to unlock carbines. Once unlocked you can mix and match the weapon types to your preferred class or map choice.

Another great podcast, thanks guys!

I can totally relate to so much of the piece that Sean wrote and Graham read. I am a member of a couple of online communities, some of which I have been a part of for years. I have been fortunate enough to make "real-life" friends with some of the folks in said communities, but for the most part I am an avatar to these people.

When I found this site, I first read the Code of Conduct, and duly noted the admonition against announcing yourself as "new". I tried to take that to heart and to find discussion areas in which I was comfortable, but there have been several times that I have felt that I was "trying too hard". That said, I do feel that the community is one of the finest that I have been around, and I look forward to being a part of it for some time, even if it is mainly on the sidelines enjoying the banter between the "old hands" that are here.

I feel there is a lot of exaggeration about the bad attitudes and language on XBL. I've played a ton of BFBC 2, BF3, and co-op in games like Red Dead and Splinter Cell and everyone is great 98% of the time.

If you do get to the radio play stage and need to cast an ageing Lancastrian, I've done some performing. I'd be happy to buy a mike if it was reasonably priced.

Where do I sign up for Sean's Church of Amortization of Steam Purchases?

There's no church, but I bet he's got some pamphlets lying around

I loved hearing all the clinking of ice in glasses around the mics, so everyone enjoy the vacation and I can't wait for next week.

Any chance of a Meeples EP making its way to the internet after the end of this week?

Thanks for the reading this week. I'd missed the article and I'm one of those people that flit in and out of this community after half hearted attempts to 'make it'. Personality wise I'm similar, and in real life like online find it tricky to drop the classy one liners or always have the perfect gif. I just kinda thought that forums were not for me and moved on while occasionally wistfully thinking it would be nice to be a part of all this while I listened to the Conference Call.

Funnily enough, I've been sucked into another forum for another area of narrow interest, the great game of Australian Rules Football, as my club has been tearing itself apart at board level and young players want out. It has been a great place to share that level of interest I have in these things that the friends I attend games with are less engaged with. They just want to watch footy, but I want to talk about it. So I do. Stupid in-jokes and all. It's fun.

I'm similar about games, but they seem harder to engage with in depth. Although having said that I should dig into the EU IV thread, I'm sure there is a gang of mad bastards in there I will have heaps to chat with.

Self revelation aside, this is a great place that has been built and I think it is welcoming, maybe, like the Aussie Rules forum site I should find a corner of GWJ that suits a narrowly engaged mostly lurker. I'm sure it is there.

shoptroll wrote:

Where do I sign up for Sean's Church of Amortization of Steam Purchases?

Based on his mantra I have pretty much back paid every game I've ever owned with Paradox and Elder Scrolls games.

shoptroll wrote:

Where do I sign up for Sean's Church of Amortization of Steam Purchases?

I also wanted to do a Google search for beaver-horse hybrids, but then I chickened out. Some things cannot be unseen.

davemonkey, I am always happy to talk AFL!

Really enjoyed this week's podcast. Was great hearing you all in the same room (although I had trouble recognizing Sean's voice at times, oddly enough). Hope the injury heals well, Julian!!
I found Graham's reading of Sean's article really touching, and it just left me with the silly impulse to want give out great big hugs. I think most people get it. Sometimes, life gets in the way, and you don't stay in touch as often as you'd like. Doesn't mean they don't care. The only time I gave up was on friends who couldn't make time for me when I'd crossed a freakin' ocean to visit and they couldn't take one hour in their busy schedule to make time to see me (this over the course of two weeks, mind you).

It was interesting to hear tabletop games other than D&D discussed. Until a few weeks ago I'd never heard of anyothers. I'd been interested in trying a roleplaying game for a while, and D&D was the only one I knew of, but all the dice rolling and stats put me off.

I then came across a game that had just been sucessfully kickstarted called Fate Core. Essentially it's a numbers light, creative roleplaying game. Anyone around here heard of it?

Pod cast number 365! Now you can listen to one every day of the year. Except leap years... lousy leap years, thinking their so hot with their extra day and all.

Good job as always

Good episode guys. That reading... wow. Hit home for me. When i got married I literally had people tell me they thought I was mad at them because I hadn't talked to them in so long. Also, I love these forums but am always afraid I am not active enough or don't add enough benefit. I actually worry about getting a choose your tag thread for this reason.

Have no fear on that count, Manta. At the very least, you know Grenn will show up to suggest a Spanish Inquisition tag.

Eleima wrote:

Have no fear on that count, Manta. At the very least, you know Grenn will show up to suggest a Spanish Inquisition tag. ;)

Good point.

englermeister wrote:

It was interesting to hear tabletop games other than D&D discussed. Until a few weeks ago I'd never heard of anyothers. I'd been interested in trying a roleplaying game for a while, and D&D was the only one I knew of, but all the dice rolling and stats put me off.

I then came across a game that had just been sucessfully kickstarted called Fate Core. Essentially it's a numbers light, creative roleplaying game. Anyone around here heard of it?

Lemme direct you to the Tabletop RPG Catch-all.

I backed Fate Core, as well as a few other RPGs, and there's a few more of us that hang out in that thread. We even count the guy who did Tenra Bansho as a Goodjer

God I love Fate. I kickstarted the heck our if if. And plenty of regular Rabbitcon games lean on it.

Swung by the FLGS last night, and it took all my will to not pick up a copy of Twilight Struggle...

McIrishJihad wrote:
englermeister wrote:

It was interesting to hear tabletop games other than D&D discussed. Until a few weeks ago I'd never heard of anyothers. I'd been interested in trying a roleplaying game for a while, and D&D was the only one I knew of, but all the dice rolling and stats put me off.

I then came across a game that had just been sucessfully kickstarted called Fate Core. Essentially it's a numbers light, creative roleplaying game. Anyone around here heard of it?

Lemme direct you to the Tabletop RPG Catch-all.

I backed Fate Core, as well as a few other RPGs, and there's a few more of us that hang out in that thread. We even count the guy who did Tenra Bansho as a Goodjer :D

Yes, englermeister should like it here.

Rabbit, I want your $700 laptop that can play 99% of the games out there. Mine croaks on Civ 5 or anything demanding I through at it. Forget about any modern FPS.

(Sorry in advance if it wasn't rabbit that said that)

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...

Honestly, yeah, it really does. I'm not the latest 400 series, but while I couldn't play Far Cry 3 cranked, FC3 runs on medium just fine. Have had no problems with EU4 or Civ 5. Plays Bioshock fine, mid-to-high settings. Plays Ultima XIV on high.

$779 list, frequently with discounts.

Another fun podcast. Not sure why but I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the Jobbers With Games debut.

I did very little pc gaming for years due to an aging computer, but bought a new one in January and have really enjoyed bouncing between the pc and the 360. Becoming much more interested in indie games due to Steam, and have started to mix in a short game or two in between the bigger games. Great way to keep the pile moving (well, at least a little bit).

Becoming more of a fan of Graham's with every appearance. He did a great job and I really enjoyed Sean's piece. I think we all experience that feeling to some extent, I know there are some good friends of mine I haven't talked to in a couple of years, and I feel like I should contact them but need a reason first. Haven't posted much here but there are a couple of message boards I feel a part of. It's not hard to do as long as you don't try to hard, but just keep plugging away, post when you have something to say, and eventually you start to recognize a bunch of users as individuals, and realize some will recognize you in that same way.

I would definitely apply Sean's point to mmo's. I generally struggle to feel part of the community there. It's tough because there is definitely a rewarding experience to be had, I just don't want to get tied up exclusively with one game (got caught up in a couple of mmo's this year after getting the new computer), and while part of me wants to step back into those worlds, the pile is just so large.

Really, really large.

Once again, Sean get out of my head! As a perennial lurker who rarely comments, and when I do tends to be very particular in threads where I seem to over-impart as compensation, the Outsider really hit home; same motivations tend to drive my silence on voice chat.

rabbit wrote:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...

Honestly, yeah, it really does. I'm not the latest 400 series, but while I couldn't play Far Cry 3 cranked, FC3 runs on medium just fine. Have had no problems with EU4 or Civ 5. Plays Bioshock fine, mid-to-high settings. Plays Ultima XIV on high.

$779 list, frequently with discounts.

That's actually a pretty good deal. When you put in in context of buying it instead of a console the issue of longevity comes up. The laptop may not be able to run 50% of the AAA releases that come out next year that are developed with the PS4 and XBone as a baseline.

Edited for clarity.

EvilDead wrote:
rabbit wrote:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...

Honestly, yeah, it really does. I'm not the latest 400 series, but while I couldn't play Far Cry 3 cranked, FC3 runs on medium just fine. Have had no problems with EU4 or Civ 5. Plays Bioshock fine, mid-to-high settings. Plays Ultima XIV on high.

$779 list, frequently with discounts.

That's actually a pretty good deal. When you put in in context of buying it instead of a console the issue of longevity comes up. The laptop may not be able to run 50% of the AAA releases that come out next year that are developed with the PS4 and XBone as a baseline.

Edited for clarity.

Might also be worth looking at the y510p, which is available with SLI'd 750s

Is there a thread for good laptop under x dollars?