GWJ Conference Call Episode 330

Conference Call


Ni No Kuni, Proteus, Antichamber, Tropico 4, Jon Shafer's New Kickstarter 4X Game At The Games, Your Emails and more!

This week Shawn, Elysium and Julian are joined by Jon Shafer to talk about his new Kickstarter project At The Gates!

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

Chairman_Mao's Timestamps
00.01.17 Jon Shafer talks about video editing himself in FCP
00.03.24 Tropico 4
00.05.14 Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete
00.08.04 Ni no Kuni
00.10.23 Proteus
00.15.29 Antichamber
00.17.47 This week's sponsor: Choremonster.com!
00.19.19 This week's topic: Jon Shafer's super duper secret Kickstarter game revealed!
00.50.44 Call for writers update
00.52.29 Your emails!

Jon Shafer's At The Gates
Call For Writers
Ni No Kuni
Proteus
Antichamber

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

At The Gates - 18:49

Backup - Workbench Music - http://workbench-music.com/ - 50:14

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

Comments

Hurray! At least commute home will not be a barren wasteland of lesser podcasts!

Thanks GWJ team for mentioning NWN2.

I love this game. I love it because the multi-player is, for me, the best computer based version of PnP role-playing. I enjoy it more than tabletop simulators like Fantasy Grounds 2. There was some discussion in the Rabbitcon podcast about professional actors coming to role-play, and some of the "safe place" state of mind it takes to go to "the place" where you can act a role in front of strangers, or friends. I find that sitting anonymously behind a CRPG avatar, allows that to happen. It's a safe place. You will find people acting a role if you get on the right server.

Anyhow, I'm not sure of GOG fixed this but, I recently re-installed NWN2 to check out some persistent worlds. What I discovered was, that gamespy has stopped supporting the master servers for NWN2.

The multi-player function will appear mostly broken, unless GOG somehow patched things up.
You can edit your ini file to change the timeout to a milisecond, so that you don't have to wait for it try to connect to a server which isn't there. There is a mod which will allow you use the original MP interface, but I expect it's more work than most are willing to do.

So, despite the fact that no multiplayer servers show up in the old multi-player server interface, they're still out there.

It's easiest to get your server IPs from NWN Vault, and direct connect to them. These PWs let you play, more or less like a WoW clone.

Try it out. One day I'll get some free time, and maybe run a DM'd session again.

Hi guys - just wanted to correct something about Proteus. Ed Key doesn't actually consider Proteus an anti-game and is generally in favour of a broad, inclusive definition of games. He sets out his view here: http://www.visitproteus.com/what-are-game/

I just thought that was worth clarifying.

SurprisedMan wrote:
Hi guys - just wanted to correct something about Proteus. Ed Key doesn't actually consider Proteus an anti-game and is generally in favour of a broad, inclusive definition of games. He sets out his view here: http://www.visitproteus.com/what-are-game/

I just thought that was worth clarifying.

As much as I hate the debate, I share his stance.

I imagine we'll have an article up about At The Gates. I got to see it alongside Andrich, and I am pretty excited about it as a historical simulation (Shawn got more into how it plays as a game).

SurprisedMan wrote:
Hi guys - just wanted to correct something about Proteus. Ed Key doesn't actually consider Proteus an anti-game and is generally in favour of a broad, inclusive definition of games. He sets out his view here: http://www.visitproteus.com/what-are-game/

I just thought that was worth clarifying.

Well, to be fair: "In fact, developer Ed Key, alongside musician David Kanaga, thinks of it more as an "anti-game" -- although he isn't a huge fan of the "not-game" term that has been splashed around the last few years.
"I quite like 'anti-game' as it feels a bit cheekier," he laughs."

From http://indiegames.com/2013/01/is_pro...

I was literally laughing out loud in my car this morning when I heard the comment about us being "trained dogs" when it comes to buying games again. I plead guilty as charged, nearly all my purchases on GOG are games I've loved, enjoyed and owned when I was younger.

As for At the Gates... At first I thought "well, color me intrigued", and by the time I got to the end of the segment and had arrived at my destination, I was firing up Kickstarter and had backed it. Forty thousand doesn't seem like a lot of money, though, if it's to fund animations, and sound design, and all the stuff you covered.

Did I mention I love the podcast? Well, I love the podcast; just thought I'd say it, I don't say it nearly often enough!

I command that smiley to never ever wash its cheek! Never again!

On the subject of the backlog, I've had a few thoughts occur since this morning. While I do make an effort to control the exponential growth of my pile (with the invaluable support of fellow gwj'ers), I've come to accept the pile. In fact, at this point, I've reconciled myself to the fact that I may never play some games in that pile, but at the very least, I'm glad I spent the money to support the developers I've come to know and appreciate.
Also, my son is one, if that makes any difference. Dark ages, dark schmages...

wordsmythe wrote:
I imagine we'll have an article up about At The Gates.

It's pretty cool you guys got Jon to be a guest on the podcast while all the other sites I read wrote previews. Is that what they call a "scoop" in the industry?

Also, today's Penny Arcade seems relevant to Julian's adventures with retrogaming on the SNES. Do your kids ask questions like that when you're playing?

MoH:Warfighter isnt a bad game by any shape or form and much improved upon the first one. It was doomed by a bad release date. It had one week by itself before other high profile games just overlapped it.

shoptroll wrote:
It's pretty cool you guys got Jon to be a guest on the podcast while all the other sites I read wrote previews. Is that what they call a "scoop" in the industry?

More like the awesome folks at GWJ were willing to lower their standards and let me come on to shill my wares. Many thanks to them, as well as everyone who has supported the campaign! It's far surpassed our expectations, and we can't wait to get the game into everyone's hands!

.

Eleima wrote:
As for At the Gates... At first I thought "well, color me intrigued", and by the time I got to the end of the segment and had arrived at my destination, I was firing up Kickstarter and had backed it. Forty thousand doesn't seem like a lot of money, though, if it's to fund animations, and sound design, and all the stuff you covered.

Thanks Eleima!

40k is definitely not a ton of money, but we have a strong head start. Much of that number will be eaten up by the animations, but many other aspects of the game (sounds, etc.) will be handled internally, which helps keep costs down. Since I'm the only one working full-time on the project we really have a ton of flexibility when it comes to finishing the game on a shoestring budget. We're certainly hoping for more than just the 40k though, as that will simplify things a great deal!

- Jon

It's been a lot of fun seeing the big reveal for At The Gates here, 3MA (without Julian!), and John's own podcast. The game sounds intriguing, and I kicked in today while waiting for the snow to hit us. You've all got me interested in Proteus as well. It sounds somewhat like Journey, albeit with a very different visual style.

Neverwinter Nights 2 shoutout for the win! I bought that game the day it came out on GoG. Unfortunately I've been working 12-19 hour days since then, so I haven't gotten a chance to fire it up, but that day will come!

(Looks like I get tomorrow and Monday off to recover from this nonsense and play some games.)

Remember, clerics are overpowered.

re: the backlog, I've decided that for most games, briefly experiencing them is enough for me. I don't have the completionist urge, unless a game really gets its hooks in (most recently Persona 4: Golden). But if I throw an hour or two into every game on my Steam pile, I'll have at least tasted some of what they have to offer, and I'll consider the pile gods sated.

Jon Shafer wrote:
More like the awesome folks at GWJ were willing to lower their standards and let me come on to shill my wares.

They should have both you and Colby Dauche on the show in a shill-off

shoptroll wrote:
Jon Shafer wrote:
More like the awesome folks at GWJ were willing to lower their standards and let me come on to shill my wares.

They should have both you and Colby Dauche on the show in a shill-off

Golf clap.

rabbit wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
Jon Shafer wrote:
More like the awesome folks at GWJ were willing to lower their standards and let me come on to shill my wares.

They should have both you and Colby Dauche on the show in a shill-off

Golf clap.

Quick! How are we going to mispronounce Jon's name?

rabbit wrote:
SurprisedMan wrote:
Hi guys - just wanted to correct something about Proteus. Ed Key doesn't actually consider Proteus an anti-game and is generally in favour of a broad, inclusive definition of games. He sets out his view here: http://www.visitproteus.com/what-are-game/

I just thought that was worth clarifying.

Well, to be fair: "In fact, developer Ed Key, alongside musician David Kanaga, thinks of it more as an "anti-game" -- although he isn't a huge fan of the "not-game" term that has been splashed around the last few years.
"I quite like 'anti-game' as it feels a bit cheekier," he laughs."

From http://indiegames.com/2013/01/is_pro...

Yes, I know the article you got it from - the link I posted was Ed's response to that article. I just thought it was worth adding that contexts.

wordsmythe wrote:
rabbit wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
Jon Shafer wrote:
More like the awesome folks at GWJ were willing to lower their standards and let me come on to shill my wares.

They should have both you and Colby Dauche on the show in a shill-off

Golf clap.

Quick! How are we going to mispronounce Jon's name?

Jan Sheister

Eleima wrote:
Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I was busy looking for my jaw after it dropped and rolled behind the couch. I'll try not to be too much of a starstruck moron, but I'll just seize this opportunity to say that I loved the Civ 5 (I *hates* stacking), even though my husband hated it (so you break even in our house).

Hahaha! Thanks for your kind words Eleima, but trust me, I'm not worth being starstruck over - most of the GWJ staff has met me and can vouch for that!

Tell your husband to check out ATG - it might be more up his alley. I just posted an update today comparing it with Civ 5, and there's a chance some of his concerns may have been addressed.
.

What I actually meant is that even though you've explained both here and in the podcast that you don't need more than 40k, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that you "only" need 40k. I pretty much chalk that up to us living in a day and age in which games cost millions of dollars to make. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, but that's the standard we've become accustomed to.

Much of the time that is indeed the case. The cost of creative/technical projects can get pretty crazy.

The funding we're raising now has to last us for ~18 months of development where I'll be doing this full-time, plus pay for costs such as animation contract work, licensed music, etc. Ideally I'll also be able to give my very generous friends at least a small "thank you" for all of their great work!
.

Definitely looking forward to At the Gates, it'll be interesting to play as the barbarians, especially since I played as the romans all those years ago with the Caesar games.

Also, enjoy those ramen! ;)


Thanks, will do!

- Jon

Jon Shafer wrote:
Eleima wrote:
Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I was busy looking for my jaw after it dropped and rolled behind the couch. I'll try not to be too much of a starstruck moron, but I'll just seize this opportunity to say that I loved the Civ 5 (I *hates* stacking), even though my husband hated it (so you break even in our house).

Hahaha! Thanks for your kind words Eleima, but trust me, I'm not worth being starstruck over - most of the GWJ staff has met me and can vouch for that!

I think he's dreamy. Photographic evidence:
IMAGE(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3j7ckDfBW1qgn3rso1_500.jpg)

Awesome conversations between Jon and the guys on the podcast was great, but then coming to the comments and seeing even more awesome conversation between Jon and Eleima?! This is why the Internet is so awesome! And also why GWJ is the greatest community!

Also, definitely checking out At the Gates! More yummy turn based strat from Jon?! Sign me up!

Jon Shafer wrote:
Thanks Eleima!
40k is definitely not a ton of money, but we have a strong head start. Much of that number will be eaten up by the animations, but many other aspects of the game (sounds, etc.) will be handled internally, which helps keep costs down. Since I'm the only one working full-time on the project we really have a ton of flexibility when it comes to finishing the game on a shoestring budget. We're certainly hoping for more than just the 40k though, as that will simplify things a great deal!
- Jon

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I was busy looking for my jaw after it dropped and rolled behind the couch. I'll try not to be too much of a starstruck moron, but I'll just seize this opportunity to say that I loved the Civ 5 (I *hated* stacking), even though my husband hated it (so you break even in our house).

What I actually meant is that even though you've explained both here and in the podcast that you don't need more than 40k, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that you "only" need 40k. I pretty much chalk that up to us living in a day and age in which games cost millions of dollars to make. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, but that's the standard we've become accustomed to.

Definitely looking forward to At the Gates, it'll be interesting to play as the barbarians, especially since I played as the romans all those years ago with the Caesar games.

Also, enjoy those ramen!

How long until we drive Jon away like we did with Felicia Day?

Quintin_Stone wrote:
How long until we drive Jon away like we did with Felicia Day?

Did that actually happen?

Dyni wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
How long until we drive Jon away like we did with Felicia Day?

Did that actually happen?

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/1...