GWJ Conference Call Episode 308

Conference Call

Mark of The Ninja, Card Hunter, The Walking Dead Episode 3, Rock Band Blitz, Madden 13, Guild Wars 2, The Financial State of The Gaming Industry, The Launch of the 2012 Donation Drive, Your Emails and more!

The State of The Game Industry. The big picture. Where do the big publishers stand these days? What does the future hold? We also set the stage for our 2012 donation drive!

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

Sponsor

Tech Thing Daily
Game Thing Daily
Good Old Games
Tweaked Audio (Use discount code GWJ)

Audible

Chairman_Mao's Timestamps
00.01.51 Card Hunter
00.08.01 Mark of the Ninja
00.17.12 Rock Band Blitz
00.22.18 Madden 2013
00.26.17 Orcs Must Die 2 DLC
00.29.18 Walking Dead III
00.30.46 Michael Zenke talks Guild Wars 2
00.55.11 This week's topic: The State of the Gaming Industry!
01.20.04 2012 Donation Drive--changes, listen up!
01.26.15 Your Emails!

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

Adjusting to Reality - (b-sides) - workbench-music.com - 54:41

Soulsight - (b-sides) - workbench-music.com - 1:19:37

Comments

EverythingsTentative wrote:

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only father that slams the bed time hammer down at 8pm just so I can avoid coitus to lay with a good game.

Eloquently put.

Regarding the lore of Guild Wars 2 and why they bothered to call it a sequel.

I'm running with a Charr Engineer at the moment. Early in GW1 the Charr are the primary enemy invading your homeland of Ascalon, you start out the game in a section known as Pre-Searing, an idyllic countryside, then there is a disaster and the land gets annihilated. You spend the next few missions running around a post apocalyptic wasteland until you move on.

I didn't really think of this too much when I started running around the Charr starting zone until heading north I reached the ruins of a huge wall, then suddenly it hit me. I'd already seen this very area, beautiful and idyllic, then wasted and destroyed. Now it was beautiful again and full of ruined versions of the landmarks I'd run around as a low level character 6 years ago in my time, 250 years ago in the game.

It was rather poignant.

Yeah, it's the same world, just 250 years later. In Ascalon you fight the ghosts of the humans from GW1. There's a ton more stuff like that throughout the game.

Guild Wars is still a stupid name for a game that doesn't really focus on Guilds.

wordsmythe wrote:

I'll settle for someone to be wildly enthusiastic about how I pronounce "bowls."

Look, when you open your mouth I instantly feel like I'm 7 again trying to understand why nobody else in my crappy suburb likes sh*t like dolphins and Discovery Channel (remember when that was good?), and Super Mario Bros.

I'm just saying, I like your accent.

garion333 wrote:

Yeah, it's the same world, just 250 years later. In Ascalon you fight the ghosts of the humans from GW1. There's a ton more stuff like that throughout the game.

Not quite, the Foefire happened 10 years after the last events of GW1. There's a whole load of history that's not relayed through the game in a in-your-face way (Timeline, GW2 continuation). That includes the Charr in the GW1 era, where you're only seeing the human perspective, and what they would have been exposed to, but it all fits together, and forms part of the foundation for GW2.

I'd compare it to the Warcraft RTS games forming a foundation to WoW.

garion333 wrote:

Guild Wars is still a stupid name for a game that doesn't really focus on Guilds.

"Guild Wars" does have meaning in the history: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_G...
I think it's the background for the GvG PvP mode.

Scratched wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Guild Wars is still a stupid name for a game that doesn't really focus on Guilds.

"Guild Wars" does have meaning in the history: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_G...
I think it's the background for the GvG PvP mode.

Yeah, I still think it's a stupid name because people come in expecting there to be some sort of focus on Guilds and whatnot and you don't really get that.

Michael wrote:

One of the emails mentioned To the Moon, which was a game I had heard about on the periphery for a long time. I saw on Reddit today that the game just showed up on Steam for less than $10. You can also pay a few bucks more for the soundtrack, which is supposed to be pretty awesome.

Further enabling, per the Wikipedia article:

In GameSpot's 2011 Game of the Year awards, To the Moon was given the "Best Story" award, which was won against Catherine, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Portal 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles. which were also voted in the same category. To the Moon was also nominated in the categories of "Best Music", "Most Memorable Moment", "Best Writing/Dialogue", "Best Ending", and "Song of the Year". It was also the highest user-rated PC game of 2011 at Metacritic.

This was the game that killed our dreams of Fringe Busters play sessions. We'd been hacking things together for a while, and generally felt that To The Moon deserved a little more time and care than we were able to give it (at least without throwing some money in for better software).

shoptroll wrote:

So for the non-WoW people in the audience like myself, could someone provide some details on the WoW 5.0 patch Elysium referenced, or could he elaborate on his comparison of WoW 5.0 to GW2?

Let's see what I can remember. WoW and GW2 are both grindfests at heart. You will need to fight mobs and do things to gain experience. The difference is that WoW is designed to keep you in the game for long periods of time doing things like running or flying from place to place. GW2 on the other hand doesn't care about that as much because it has no subscription fee. GW2 allows you to jump from place to place (that you've visited) and is generally more about the play and exploration than time usage.

There are plenty of neat things to see and do in WoW, but GW2 is more or less a constant stream of neat things to see and do.

garion333 wrote:

Let's see what I can remember. WoW and GW2 are both grindfests at heart. You will need to fight mobs and do things to gain experience. The difference is that WoW is designed to keep you in the game for long periods of time doing things like running or flying from place to place. GW2 on the other hand doesn't care about that as much because it has no subscription fee. GW2 allows you to jump from place to place (that you've visited) and is generally more about the play and exploration than time usage.

There are plenty of neat things to see and do in WoW, but GW2 is more or less a constant stream of neat things to see and do.

I kinda got that impression, but it sounded like there was some mechanic changes coming to WoW that put the combat or skill system closer to GW2. Maybe I'm reading too much into what he said?

So for the non-WoW people in the audience like myself, could someone provide some details on the WoW 5.0 patch Elysium referenced, or could he elaborate on his comparison of WoW 5.0 to GW2?

Certis wrote:

I almost forgot to post a picture of nurse Elysium.

The curtain in the background really completes the look

EDIT:

Really good segment on the state of the industry. Some great points to think about.

While I asked for timestamps long ago,
I miss the wacky text that Chairman_Mao wrote to go with them.

I'm way behind on my podcasts and just got a chance to listen to this one. I appreciate very much that you answered my question! I laughed so hard I woke up my youngest. Your podcast is going to help me survive long enough to get to those magical non-diaper years and it's somehow very uplifting to hear that other dudes survived and are still avid gamers.

GWJer for life!

Grimthorn wrote:

I'm way behind on my podcasts and just got a chance to listen to this one. I appreciate very much that you answered my question! I laughed so hard I woke up my youngest. Your podcast is going to help me survive long enough to get to those magical non-diaper years and it's somehow very uplifting to hear that other dudes survived and are still avid gamers.

Also non-dudes.

Yes, my bad, non-dudes too. I'm my circle/family all the non-dudes are non-gamers too, despite my best efforts. lol

I believe non-dudes are called dudettes.

Lol - indeed but I always feel weird saying dudettes. Am I the only one? Generally, I just think of myself as a dude and my better half as a lady.

I don't know whether E Hunnie realizes that this song is in my head whenever I call her "lady."