GWJ Conference Call Episode 294

Conference Call

Live From Rabbitcon!, JOHANN SEBASTIAN JOUST, Tons of Boardgames, A Hot Jam, Your Questions and more!

This week we record live from rabbitcon! Tons of guests and talkin' bout games we're playing.

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

Sponsor

Tech Thing Daily
Game Thing Daily
Good Old Games

JOHANN SEBASTIAN JOUST

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

PCs Who Died - Rabbitcon Deep Cuts - 31:26

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Rabbitcon Deep Cuts - 1:10:10

Comments

I'd like to file a complaint. Last week's episode was #293. What are you trying to put over on us?

Dr_Awkward wrote:

I'd like to file a complaint. Last week's episode was #293. What are you trying to put over on us?

Was. Now this one is!

And here is this week's rundown, brought you by the letter 易 and the number 四.

00.01.15 What Rabbitcon is! Why we're here!
00.02.39 Dungeon Run!
00.06.22 Ora and Labora?
00.07.46 Hug Marine!
00.12.06 Johann Sebastian Jacque, I mean Joust!
00.21.30 Tomb of Horrors
00.31.43 This week's topics!
00.51.08 The demise of the Kingdom of Amalur MMO
00.54.43 Cyclades, pronounced Cyclades
00.59.43 Wiz War
01.04.30 Quarriors
01.11.21 Ora and Labora--again!
01.11.42 What I don't even
01.15.20 chat questions: do FMV games stand a chance of making a comeback
01.19.29 What Rob almost played
01.22.42 chat questions: E3 predictions
01.25.39 PS Vita: worth not paying for?
01.27.52 Sins: Rebellion

I tried to deliver the news straight from RabbitCon, but it was hard. Maybe 'cause I wasn't there.

While it seems exceptionally unlikely anyone actually cares, just some further proof that making music (no matter how badly) is fun, and everyone should do it -- from Rabbitcon:

That's Elysium on Acoustic, Me on Bass, JP on drums and Elstree on vocals and electric.

That's (sorry) me on vocals, McChuck on bass, Wordsmythe on drums, Elysium on guitar.

So much fun.

I am Jack's burning envy.

Ooo quarriors! Looking forward to listening to this

EDIT: Please tell me there's a sneak peak at the expansion in that 6 minutes.

These are always dangerous episodes for me. Not only do I get an immense rush of jealousy at the fun you all are having together, but the board game discussions inevitably make me order that game that I've been thinking about but trying not to buy...

This time it's Dungeon Run.

But Rabbit is right! When my wife takes the kids away this summer (sometime in July) I just decided I'm going to throw a MicroLobsterCon here in New Jersey. (I have a small house, hence the "micro".) Maybe I can get a few locals to hang out for a day (and night) or two of gaming goodness. Just have to get the wife to decide when she's going...

lostlobster wrote:

These are always dangerous episodes for me. Not only do I get an immense rush of jealousy at the fun you all are having together, but the board game discussions inevitably make me order that game that I've been thinking about but trying not to buy...

This time it's Dungeon Run.

But Rabbit is right! When my wife takes the kids away this summer (sometime in July) I just decided I'm going to throw a MicroLobsterCon here in New Jersey. (I have a small house, hence the "micro".) Maybe I can get a few locals to hang out for a day (and night) or two of gaming goodness. Just have to get the wife to decide when she's going...

Hmm, whereabouts in Jersey?

Tanglebones wrote:
lostlobster wrote:

These are always dangerous episodes for me. Not only do I get an immense rush of jealousy at the fun you all are having together, but the board game discussions inevitably make me order that game that I've been thinking about but trying not to buy...

This time it's Dungeon Run.

But Rabbit is right! When my wife takes the kids away this summer (sometime in July) I just decided I'm going to throw a MicroLobsterCon here in New Jersey. (I have a small house, hence the "micro".) Maybe I can get a few locals to hang out for a day (and night) or two of gaming goodness. Just have to get the wife to decide when she's going...

Hmm, whereabouts in Jersey?

Just 30 mins out from NYC — Glen Ridge. Easily reachable by train for someone who lived, say, on Roosevelt Island.

lostlobster wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
lostlobster wrote:

These are always dangerous episodes for me. Not only do I get an immense rush of jealousy at the fun you all are having together, but the board game discussions inevitably make me order that game that I've been thinking about but trying not to buy...

This time it's Dungeon Run.

But Rabbit is right! When my wife takes the kids away this summer (sometime in July) I just decided I'm going to throw a MicroLobsterCon here in New Jersey. (I have a small house, hence the "micro".) Maybe I can get a few locals to hang out for a day (and night) or two of gaming goodness. Just have to get the wife to decide when she's going...

Hmm, whereabouts in Jersey?

Just 30 mins out from NYC — Glen Ridge. Easily reachable by train for someone who lived, say, on Roosevelt Island.

Be even easier come August - we're moving to Riverdale, so the GWB'll be very accessible.

Great episode.

Oh... wait...

lostlobster wrote:

These are always dangerous episodes for me. Not only do I get an immense rush of jealousy at the fun you all are having together, but the board game discussions inevitably make me order that game that I've been thinking about but trying not to buy...

This time it's Dungeon Run.

But Rabbit is right! When my wife takes the kids away this summer (sometime in July) I just decided I'm going to throw a MicroLobsterCon here in New Jersey. (I have a small house, hence the "micro".) Maybe I can get a few locals to hang out for a day (and night) or two of gaming goodness. Just have to get the wife to decide when she's going...

Dungeon Run was another game I played for the first time and it was a great deal of fun. I meant to talk about that along with Wizwar and Quarriors, but it slipped my mind. Probably for the best - don't want to be that guy, and take up half the episode.

So, uh, yeah. Don't buy it! Fun is overrated anyways.

- Jon

Tanglebones wrote:
lostlobster wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:

Hmm, whereabouts in Jersey?

Just 30 mins out from NYC — Glen Ridge. Easily reachable by train for someone who lived, say, on Roosevelt Island.

Be even easier come August - we're moving to Riverdale, so the GWB'll be very accessible.

We looked quite a bit around Riverdale. Came close to buying something but then decided we wanted to move to an incredibly corrupt state with insanely high property taxes, and NJ fit the bill.

But anyway — when I find out what's what with the wife and kids, I'll post a thread and see if you and anyone else is available.

lostlobster wrote:

(I have a small house, hence the "micro".)

Somehow Rabbit fits 30+ people in a 3-bedroom colonial. It's part of why people use words like "magical": Only magic could keep that many people in one house without knife fights over bathroom access.

wordsmythe wrote:

Somehow Rabbit fits 30+ people in a 3-bedroom colonial. It's part of why people use words like "magical": Only magic could keep that many people in one house without knife fights over bathroom access.

0_o

IMAGE(http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alicepic/disney-movie/eat-me-cakes.jpg)

Were these involved?

To be fair it's a 4 bedroom colonial, with 3.5 baths. And a basement I finished for sleeping in. And a shed with beds in it. And a camper in the backyard. And people stacked like cordwood.

I love the live podcasts when I can catch them as they happen, but then I'm inevitably disappointed when Wednesday comes and there's no "new" podcast. Therefore I declare that when doing a live show you should also record an additional podcast, with unique content of course, just so I have something to look forward to.

Oh right, 4 bedrooms. The shed and camper have been added as things have grown.

Meanwhile, I want a cookie.

FeralMonkey wrote:

I love the live podcasts when I can catch them as they happen, but then I'm inevitably disappointed when Wednesday comes and there's no "new" podcast. Therefore I declare that when doing a live show you should also record an additional podcast, with unique content of course, just so I have something to look forward to.

Given what was going on off-camera, we might have been able to. It would be neither coherent nor safe for work, however.

rabbit wrote:

To be fair it's a 4 bedroom colonial, with 3.5 baths. And a basement I finished for sleeping in. And a shed with beds in it. And a camper in the backyard. And people stacked like cordwood.

Well, at least the RabbitCon guests won't go hungry, then!

Events like this make me sad I live so far from the vast majority of the Goodjers. I've love to attend Rabbitcon or Penguincon, or any of the many events that seem to crop up across Goodjerdom!

I need to move to the US... or maybe Canada, Canada might be nicer.

Redwing wrote:

Events like this make me sad I live so far from the vast majority of the Goodjershumanity.

Seriously.

shoptroll wrote:

Ooo quarriors!

Replying to the Quarriors! discussion:

1) It's incredibly lucky to get a Quake Dragon on turn one. I think you need to roll the 2 quid side (1/8 chance) on at least 3 of your starting basic quiddity dice in order to pull it off.
2) Dragons are notorious for not rolling the way you want when we play.
3) Definitely agree dice are much more satisfying to play with than cards. Also, you can thin your deck a lot easier in Quarriors if your stuff survives to your next turn.

To follow up on the Tide of Iron / board game storage discussion that leaked onto twitter yesterday, I threw up a few pics of how I manage ToI.

I do this with any almost every game - it makes setup so much faster and in-game management so much easier. Since my overall playing time is incredibly limited, it saves a lot of time and frustration, and ultimately means games hit the table more frequently than they might otherwise.

What I don't understand is why you guys didn't break out a nice 4 hour game of Dominant Species in the middle of all of this frivolity.

Cattle through the Tomb of Horrors? Awesome!

I loved Ready Player One, it was nice to heard that it inspires someone to play the Tomb of Horrors.

As I was playing Limbo yesterday I was thinking that its like The Tomb, a continous trap and you die lots of times