GWJ Conference Call Episode 254

Conference Call

Toy Soldiers: Cold War, Divinity 2, Bioshock 2, Logitech G700, 3DS Impulse Buying, The Upcoming Games of Fall, Your Emails and more!

Sean Sands has returned from his heart surgery bigger and better than ever. Also, more Vicodin than ever! Can you spot the drug-induced inaccuracies?

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

Sponsor

Tech Thing Daily
Game Thing Daily
Good Old Games

Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Logitech G700
Warhammer 40,000 Kill Team
Divinity 2
Bioshock 2

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

But Underneath All That - Chroma - http://sgxmusic.com/ - 37:55

Kick Your A - DDR - http://sgxmusic.com/ - 1:14:38

Comments

Firstly, thank you for another timely episode to help my overnight shift pass that much swifter.

Secondly, Sean hit the nail on the head for how Space Marine has gotten to me. I'm seldom one to watch the hype machine, especially about a console style action game, but since seeing some printed promo material for this game it's wormed its way deep into my id. I haven't even seen any gameplay video and i'm not even 100% sure i know what type of game it is, but i'm checking daily to see if the demo open for all on Steam. I'm downright excited and i can't figure out why.

I just don't get it.

A triumphant return for Mr. Sands. It's great to see you back in the saddle.

I also really hope that Diablo 3 and KOTOR are delayed until 2012. Between Deus Ex, Forza 4, Skyrim, Saints Row 3 and Gears 3, I simply don't have the time to devote to another MMO and Diablo 3 inevitably eating my soul for a year.

There are some interesting 3DS games you either missed or glossed over for comedic effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo59sjPjqhc William's Pinball Collection , been out there for a while, but nice to have portable (is it available on iOS?) September 6th

http://www.sega.com/games/aliens-infestation/ Aliens Infestation - Technically DS, but still looks great. September 29

http://www.konami.com/doctorlautrec doctor lautrec and the forgotten knights - September 30

Kirby Mass Attack - Again a DS game - September 16

Zelda Four Swords - Downloadable - Some time in September - Free to all 3DS owners.

Cave Story 3D - November 8

And the obligatory Nintendo Releases Mario Land and Kart

Shinobi - November 15

Great podcast guys and welcome back Sands. I normally don't respond to the podcast and just enjoy them. However, your comments on Halo Anniversary were completely off the mark. The reason it will sell like gangbusters is because it's what every Halo fan wants; the best of the series, up-rezzed and online. The original Halo still has the best combat feel and weapons are still the best of the series. The other games deviate from what made Halo a smashing success.

Dryden wrote:

... Space Marine ... but i'm checking daily to see if the demo open for all on Steam.

Yeah, the demo was showing as downloadable on Monday, but it never did a thing whenever I clicked on it multiple times and restarting Steam and trying again. I got it to download last night, though.

blackanchor wrote:

Great podcast guys and welcome back Sands. I normally don't respond to the podcast and just enjoy them. However, your comments on Halo Anniversary were completely off the mark. The reason it will sell like gangbusters is because it's what every Halo fan wants; the best of the series, up-rezzed and online. The original Halo still has the best combat feel and of all the guns, the pistol is still the best of the series. The other games deviate from what made Halo a smashing success.

FTFY

I couldn't stand how they made that gun so comparatively useless in 2. I never made it through the campaign in 3 on a roomates machine and don't have a 360 to care about the rest with if I could even be bothered.

Dark Souls. Thank you, Certis. I was scared there that it wouldn't get a mention.

SWTOR devs and preorder page indicate a holliday 2011 release. Watch for a possible release date this Sunday at the close of PAX. Seems very unusual to schedule an announcement for the end of a show unless it is to announce a launch date.

The only game I will definitely buy on release this year is Skyrim. I have less tolerance for buying games at full price these days. Give them six months and they will be cheaper and have been patched a few times. It's a win-win. I have games sitting on my shelf that need finishing anyway. I also can satisfy my impulse buy urges by dropping a couple bucks on iOS games.

Flying_Norseman wrote:

The only game I will definitely buy on release this year is Skyrim. I have less tolerance for buying games at full price these days. Give them six months and they will be cheaper and have been patched a few times. It's a win-win. I have games sitting on my shelf that need finishing anyway. I also can satisfy my impulse buy urges by dropping a couple bucks on iOS games.

Hey! My exact reason for not buying Skyrim at launch.

WHAAAAAT UP gains for the Abnett love!

And WHAAAAAAAT UP for the repeated WHAAAAAAAT UPs from the triumphantly returned Sean Sands.

I hope Space Marine does well.
Gameplay seems decent enough, I'm just pissed everybody thinks they're ripping Gears.

If you like 2D fighters, you should keep an eye out for Skullgirls http://www.skullgirls.com/home

I kinda been following it. I am looking foreword to it my self.

"It's Oblivion Part 2, or Morrowind Part 3"

Or Elder Scrolls Part 5. BOO-YAH.

And someone should have told my parents the sweet spot for gaming was 7 to 11. I didn't get an SNES until I was 13—until then, I was still writing any games I wanted to play in BASIC, copying them line by line from a book (32 BASIC Programs for the TRS-80 Computer—I still have it).

The Space Marine demo is amazing, highly recommend ya'll check it out.

Talking about the nostalgia machine and how Sean (welcome back, btw) had the sweet time to game made me thing about what us gamers will be like when we are old, retired, and shuttled off to nursing homes by our kids. Will we mind if our kids never visit as long as we have our console or gaming rig?

"Dad, time for our annual visit!"

"Sure, great, but don't take too long, I need to get back to Elder Scrolls 20!"

Your point is well taken, but I just can't hold off on Skyrim. I just can't.

garion333 wrote:
Flying_Norseman wrote:

The only game I will definitely buy on release this year is Skyrim. I have less tolerance for buying games at full price these days. Give them six months and they will be cheaper and have been patched a few times. It's a win-win. I have games sitting on my shelf that need finishing anyway. I also can satisfy my impulse buy urges by dropping a couple bucks on iOS games.

Hey! My exact reason for not buying Skyrim at launch. ;)

No mention of Sengoku? That's probably my most anticipated strategy game this year, probably my second-most anticipated game after Skyrim.

Nightmare wrote:

No mention of Sengoku? That's probably my most anticipated strategy game this year, probably my second-most anticipated game after Skyrim.

Good call. Shame on Julian for not remembering. Then again, it's completely overshadowed by Crusader Kings II in my book, but we'll have to keep waiting for that.

I'm also looking forward to Sword of the Stars II. Don't know if I'll have the time (and funds) at launch to pick it up, but I'm excited to finally get my hands on it.

FYI There will be NO open beta for SWTOR.

No matter how well the guest hosts do, there's nothing like Original Recipe GWJ. Really great episode. Welcome back Sean.

lostlobster wrote:

No matter how well the guest hosts do, there's nothing like Original Recipe GWJ. Really great episode. Welcome back Sean.

I've got my own secret blend of herbs and spices!

No matter how well the guest hosts do, there's nothing like Original Recipe GWJ.

I agree, bring back Fletcher and Sanjuro!

(also, thanks)

I know this is a small thing and that most of the podcasters are english majors (I guess) but the DS never dropped in price by 40%.

... Math?

I know this is a small thing and that most of the podcasters are english majors (I guess) but the DS never dropped in price by 40%.

140%?

Ulairi wrote:

I know this is a small thing and that most of the podcasters are english majors (I guess) but the DS never dropped in price by 40%.

Did we say that? I wasn't prepared to be burdened by facts, so I can't remember.

Demiurge wrote:
Ulairi wrote:

I know this is a small thing and that most of the podcasters are english majors (I guess) but the DS never dropped in price by 40%.

Did we say that? I wasn't prepared to be burdened by facts, so I can't remember.

You all were talking about the 3DS price drop, not the DS.

garion333 wrote:
Demiurge wrote:
Ulairi wrote:

I know this is a small thing and that most of the podcasters are english majors (I guess) but the DS never dropped in price by 40%.

Did we say that? I wasn't prepared to be burdened by facts, so I can't remember.

You all were talking about the 3DS price drop, not the DS.

So both the accuser and accused can't be bothered to be burdened by facts.

Another great episode. It was good to hear that Mr. Sands is having a fast recovery. I'll also echo my anticipation for Sengoku, and I was especially excited to hear Torchlight 2 mentioned. Even in the midst of the AAA releases I think its newly announced $20 price tag will really help T2 have a successful launch.

I have to go all neckbeard here though and say that my eyeball twitched a little when GalCiv2 was referred to as a popcorn strategy game.

Demiurge wrote:
Ulairi wrote:

I know this is a small thing and that most of the podcasters are english majors (I guess) but the DS never dropped in price by 40%.

Did we say that? I wasn't prepared to be burdened by facts, so I can't remember.

Rabbit did.

Ulairi wrote:
Demiurge wrote:
Ulairi wrote:

I know this is a small thing and that most of the podcasters are english majors (I guess) but the DS never dropped in price by 40%.

Did we say that? I wasn't prepared to be burdened by facts, so I can't remember.

Rabbit did.

As as I said above, he was talking about the 3DS price drop.