GWJ Conference Call Episode 192

Conference Call

Joe Danger, Alpha Protocol, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, E3 Predictions (0 to Wrong in Record Time!), Special Guest Jonathan Downin, Your Emails and more!

This week we predict what will happen at E3 and you'll know immediately how right or wrong we were. We also have our new producer Jonathan Downing on the show! If you want to submit a question or comment call in to our voicemail line at (612) 284-4563.

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined. You can also submit a question or comment call in to our voicemail line at (612) 284-4563!

Sponsor
Good Old Games

GWJ Store!

CastMedium

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

Garibaldi - Ayco (Eiko Ishiwata) - www.eikoishiwata.com - 0:26:45
Alpha - (b-sides) - workbench-music.com - 0:44:59

Comments

Wait... new producer Jonathan Downing... what happened to Rob?

Listening to the predictions now, not starting off so well : )

BlackSabre wrote:

Wait... new producer Jonathan Downing... what happened to Rob?

He stepped out of being producer after last week's episode. He's still going to be on the show just sans the producer/editor credit.

And yes, first prediction is indeed off, however just by the wrong member of the Big 3

Great podcast, once again. Liked the meta-podcast discussion.

Your E3 predictions were very amusing, but it seems like the big companies aren't as cunning as the GWJ crew, and are sadly lagging behind your bold ideas.

Jexhius wrote:

Your E3 predictions were very amusing, but it seems like the big companies aren't as cunning as the GWJ crew, and are sadly lagging behind your bold ideas.

Very well phrased.

I liked the discussion of episodic gaming as a model for AAA titles. I don't particularly care for the idea, but I think it could work in theory - although actually implementing it could be tricky.

What was that board game that Cory was talking about .. Seminar Wars?

-Magnus

Mammux wrote:

What was that board game that Cory was talking about .. Seminar Wars?

-Magnus

Summoner Wars.

Seminar Wars would be a great game, though. The expansion, Webinar Rising, practically designs itself.

I was hoping to get some spoilery thoughts on the ending of Red Dead Redemption (which was an absolute winner in my book, when all was said and done), but it sounds like you guys aren't going to get there as a group any time soon.

BlackSabre wrote:

Wait... new producer Jonathan Downing... what happened to Rob?

EATEN BY BEARS!

Downin needs a nickname. Oh, and even though the predictions may have been off, Certis' been getting noticed:

Maybe this deserves a Photoshop contest. Here's my crappy attempt at it:

Man, you'd think someone like myself who is so good at being wrong would like doing it more.

BlackSabre wrote:

Wait... new producer Jonathan Downing... what happened to Rob?

What? Talking about it at the end of last week's show and mentioned it in the show notes wasn't enough for you to take notice?

mrtomaytohead wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:

Wait... new producer Jonathan Downing... what happened to Rob?

What? Talking about it at the end of last week's show and mentioned it in the show notes wasn't enough for you to take notice? :P

Notice what?

BTW, great producing as usual, Rob!

Elysium wrote:

Man, you'd think someone like myself who is so good at being wrong would like doing it more.

It's hard being imperfect.

The Scott Pilgrim game is being drawn by Paul Robertson, he of the super awesome (and not safe for work) Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006 and the equally awesome (and not safe for work) Kings of Power 4 Billion %.

Warning: I think these films can be a little strobe-y at parts. They're very derivative of over the top Japanese animes/SNES fighters.

Some examples of his art:
IMAGE(http://visublog.mechafetus.com/img/src/1252367892245.gif)
IMAGE(http://visublog.mechafetus.com/img/src/1266097267976.gif)

Elysium wrote:

Man, you'd think someone like myself who is so good at being wrong would like doing it more.

How do you know you're not getting better at it right now?

It's truly odd hearing Jonathan talk without me being able to directly point out how wrong he is, though I must admit that I enjoyed this week's show. The E3 predictions were sufficiently ridiculous for my tastes, as well.

Just out of curiosity, why do you wait so long between recording the show and releasing it? Most of the others I listen to, such as Joystiq and Giant Bomb, release on the same day they record. This isn't the first time I've been scratching my head at your untimely discussions, but at least you acknowledged that your predictions would be disproved by the time the podcast was released. Maybe try recording segments as-live so you don't need to edit?

Or how about an more roughly edited version that's on a not so publicised RSS but published earlier, and a polished one as usual. I've no idea of how much editing is required, so there might not be much to gain.

Speaking as someone completely not in the know, I'd just assume that the delayed release is more an issue of consistency than inability. It's kind of nice to know that GWJ will update in the same couple hour window every week.

JonCole wrote:

Speaking as someone completely not in the know, I'd just assume that the delayed release is more an issue of consistency than inability. It's kind of nice to know that GWJ will update in the same couple hour window every week.

But it seems like they always tape on the weekend, so why not make it Monday? I'm a ex-radio host, so I am sort of a stickler.

Maybe it has something to do with the editing. GWJ, I'm happy to say, has the best sound of any podcast I've had the privilege to hear, and that includes stuff from National Geographic.

Evo wrote:
JonCole wrote:

Speaking as someone completely not in the know, I'd just assume that the delayed release is more an issue of consistency than inability. It's kind of nice to know that GWJ will update in the same couple hour window every week.

But it seems like they always tape on the weekend, so why not make it Monday? I'm a ex-radio host, so I am sort of a stickler.

We have day jobs and families. It's tough enough to herd four cats onto the mics to record on the weekend, let alone on a work day. We're not trying to cover news or other stuff that needs to be super timely, so giving our producer a few days to edit the show when he has the time is worth the delay.

Certis wrote:
Evo wrote:
JonCole wrote:

Speaking as someone completely not in the know, I'd just assume that the delayed release is more an issue of consistency than inability. It's kind of nice to know that GWJ will update in the same couple hour window every week.

But it seems like they always tape on the weekend, so why not make it Monday? I'm a ex-radio host, so I am sort of a stickler.

We have day jobs and families. It's tough enough to herd four cats onto the mics to record on the weekend, let alone on a work day. We're not trying to cover news or other stuff that needs to be super timely, so giving our producer a few days to edit the show when he has the time is worth the delay.

You have just influenced my mental image of the podcast forever.

Beatniks?

wordsmythe wrote:

Beatniks?

I've always felt the podcast needed more finger snaps and bongo drum.

The fact that the podcast is voiced entirely by 5 or 6 mutant cat-men and one beautifully normal lady should not be that surprising, given Julian's strangled "meow" a couple weeks ago.

I am really digging Torchlight these days. I do hope they come through on the multi-player promise. "All right, nerds, that's enough!" Funny.

I am leaning heavily on "glorious failure" for Natal and PSMove. I think a lot of people will look at them and say, "Yeah that's neat but I already have a Wii." The Wii is just too ubiquitous at this point I think.

I hope U2: Rock Band is something that is being held back. Come on Bono, you can do it!

I am still burned by the Sin games. I loved both games and was hoping to see more chapters... and protagonists ridiculously huge boobs.

I never played a text-based game (because I like pretty colors) but I recall a friend of mine playing one called Triple Smash Wuwu (I cannot remember how it was spelled). It might have even had ASCII graphics. I remember him telling me that at some point you find a secret area where you can fly down to Dagobah, where you can meet Yoda. You can eat porridge one time and he will be ok with that. Eat it a second time, however, and he will say, "Little bastard are you! Already today have you eaten my porridge!" Then he will try to kill you.

I only need one gaming Podcast... GWJ.

Yeah on timing -- we also record anywhere from Friday-Sunday night. When we record on a Sunday, all the files aren't actually rendered and ready for the producer to edit until sometime Monday morning. Realistically, that means late Monday night is the earliest it could possibly be available, and that would leave no time for screw-ups (which do happen). By giving ourselves until late tuesday night/wednesday morning to post, we have the opportunity to fix something, record late, or otherwise slack off for 24 hours.

I'm BAD at editing, I admit, but the 1 or 2 times I've edited the show, I will say that it's a full evening's work.

KaterinLHC wrote:

The fact that the podcast is voiced entirely by 5 or 6 mutant cat-men and one beautifully normal lady should not be that surprising, given Julian's strangled "meow" a couple weeks ago.

Good Lord. It was right in front of me!