Conference Call

GWJ Conference Call Episode 136

Sacred 2 On 360, Patapon 2, Shiren The Wanderer, IL2, Quarentine 2019, Catching Up on Your Emails, A Big Live Show This Sunday and more!

This week we get caught up on the email pile as we prepare for the big live show coming this Sunday. If you want to listen in and chat as we record the show, stay tuned to the front page of Gamers With Jobs at 8PM EST on Sunday, May 24th! If you want to submit a question or comment call in to our voicemail line at (612) 284-4563.

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined. You can also submit a question or comment call in to our voicemail line at (612) 284-4563!

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

"Sunburst" - Apoplexia (Benoit Casey) - www.cerebrimusic.com - 0:23:48

Comments

I haven't listened to the show yet, but I'm already taking bets that the live show will flake out again

Also, recording it at 3AM CET on a Monday morning is pure evil.

I had a crazy dejavu, I think this is last weeks show
EDIT: Ok, it's right now, nvm. I may have blinked too hard and forced myself back in time... or I'm crazy.

Haha, that Tom Chick... what a character. I especially like how the PC review is the same as the 360 review despite them having different authoring dates (i guess it was the new pictures that made it a new review?). Yeah, it was probably 1Up rather than 'the chick'/'chook' himself i just like to diss him when i can... especially about those cut-off paragraphs! Yurgh!

I thought the cut-off paragraphs were mildly amusing. The 360 review is obviously a reprinted PC review. You can tell by the brief extra paragraph talking about how the console version compares.

Glad you guys addressed Sacred 2 on consoles. Great port, even if "PC-centric" tendencies still exist.

Here is the link to the Wizards of the Coast Test Drive page, which provides the first published 4E adventure as well as the quick-start rules.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...

Alien Love Gardener wrote:

I thought the cut-off paragraphs were mildly amusing. The 360 review is obviously a reprinted PC review. You can tell by the brief extra paragraph talking about how the console version compares.

Yeah, I thought they were a funny way of showing how it feels to play a game that crashes every two minutes.

Regarding the in-game catering service, I think what really flabbergasted Rob was that these people were paying $15 a month to work a second job.

My counter to this is, how is running a party for another group of players any different than running a raid? Same organization, same pressures of time and coordination, with a payout at the end. Plus you get people coming up to you afterward and telling you how much fun they had.

TWEWY = 4kids! TV

Very humorous observation. I could see it coming after Pokemon or Winx Club.

Is Corey Banks gonna have to choke a bitch?

You guys realize you're dickwaving about D&D experience right? Just saying.

PyromanFO wrote:

You guys realize you're dickwaving about D&D experience right? Just saying.

Hey, when you got it, flaunt it.... when you don't, argue about inane things.

spoiler wrote:

[color=white]Yes... this applies to me apparently as well.[/color]

Holy Herm Edwards reference, Batman!

Duoae wrote:

Haha, that Tom Chick... what a character. I especially like how the PC review is the same as the 360 review despite them having different authoring dates (i guess it was the new pictures that made it a new review?). Yeah, it was probably 1Up rather than 'the chick'/'chook' himself i just like to diss him when i can... especially about those cut-off paragraphs! Yurgh!

He did add a little to the end of the console review(s) saying that he actually prefers the console version. But yes, otherwise, lazy beyond belief.

I'm sure he would have been willing to write a completely new review for the console version if 1up was willing to pay for it.

As a more mature gamer, who has precious little offline friends for D&D I must say that the Fantasy Grounds client (now version 2) has been a major boon for me to get some actual pen and paper style roleplaying. I am a member of a European gaming community called Legends, who have a number of people running weekly sessions of roleplaying games via the FGII client. Since its early beginnings there are now modules available and in development for a lot of other roleplaying systems, including Call of Cthulhu, Rolemaster Classic, Star Wars RPG, and others... our regular FG guru, Foen, who has been involved in a lot of coding and checking of some of the custom rulesets put a thread together (quite some time ago, I think its the FGI client) explaining what FG is about and what it can do for you and your roleplaying groups. So I thought I'd share. Even though you have a job and a family and other committments and you can't afford the time to find and join a roleplaying group in your local area, you can still get quality playtime using Virtual table clients such as FGII.

I wonder if on the live show they will give proper love to Peggle on the Iphone?

I might not have understood the question regarding plot arcs correctly, but Certis' suggestion—that games introduce a villain, resolve that villain's plot line in the first portion of the game, and then move on to bigger things—more or less falls in line with the plots to most Final Fantasy games. In Final Fantasy VII, for example, you begin the game fighting against SHINRA but end up dealing with Sephiroth as your main adversary. Likewise, Final Fantasy VI begins as a battle against the Emperor and ends as a battle against Kefka.

adam.greenbrier wrote:

I might not have understood the question regarding plot arcs correctly, but Certis' suggestion—that games introduce a villain, resolve that villain's plot line in the first portion of the game, and then move on to bigger things—more or less falls in line with the plots to most Final Fantasy games. In Final Fantasy VII, for example, you begin the game fighting against SHINRA but end up dealing with Sephiroth as your main adversary. Likewise, Final Fantasy VI begins as a battle against the Emperor and ends as a battle against Kefka.

Come to think of it, that's a mechanic that's used so often in JRPGs it's almost cliché. Maybe it's just that you guys avoid them like the plague...?

I empathize with Rabbit not being able to come back and pick up games for which you've forgotten the mechanics. I have a depressingly large number of 75% complete games laying around that I just don't want to either (a) try to get back into and get my rear handed to me as I try to remember everything, or (b) start over. Why do I continue to put games down half-complete if I know this is going to happen? I still haven't figured that out.

Brennil wrote:

Regarding the in-game catering service, I think what really flabbergasted Rob was that these people were paying $15 a month to work a second job.

My counter to this is, how is running a party for another group of players any different than running a raid? Same organization, same pressures of time and coordination, with a payout at the end. Plus you get people coming up to you afterward and telling you how much fun they had.

Perhaps because a raid is built into the game, but throwing a party in an mmo is already an extracurricular activity. So throwing a party for others is like an extra-extracurricular activity.

Or perhaps because Rob may see mmo's like many people do, as a game, while many who play mmo's see them as actual and rewarding social interactions with others in which throwing a party for someone is a worthwhile task. In a game that isn't "about" throwing parties, throwing a party is just outside the realm of what you're supposed to do.

Or, raiding is manly. Throwing parties is not.

Really liked the bumper music for this week's podcast

So did Elysium die or something?

DrJonez wrote:

So did Elysium die or something? :(

Ditto.

Certis, Rabbit, Corey and Rob are more than sufficient, but having the cynical sense of humor that I do, the podcast is incomplete without Elysium.

Not only will you be able th hear Elysium next week, if you tune in Sunday night you should be able to SEE him as well.

rabbit wrote:

Not only will you be able th hear Elysium next week, if you tune in Sunday night you should be able to SEE him as well.

I shall trim my beard in respect of his holiness.

Duoae wrote:
rabbit wrote:

Not only will you be able th hear Elysium next week, if you tune in Sunday night you should be able to SEE him as well.

I shall trim my beard in respect of his holiness.

I'm still considering shaving in deference to his Beardiness.

Demiurge wrote:
Duoae wrote:
rabbit wrote:

Not only will you be able th hear Elysium next week, if you tune in Sunday night you should be able to SEE him as well.

I shall trim my beard in respect of his holiness.

I'm still considering shaving in deference to his Beardiness.

Be very careful, don't nick your nuts!

Nair sales may spike if this Cult to Elysium's Beard grows to epic proportions.

Hey there is a Dragon's Lair game done in real time. It is called Dragon's Lair's 3D.
http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Lair-3...

I have the game but couldn't get the sound to work. Annoyed me enough not to want to play.

Demiurge wrote:
Duoae wrote:
rabbit wrote:

Not only will you be able th hear Elysium next week, if you tune in Sunday night you should be able to SEE him as well.

I shall trim my beard in respect of his holiness.

I'm still considering shaving in deference to his Beardiness.

I was under the impression that being shaven is essentially to be defenceless to beardiness?

I think this was the podcast where someone was going to build a new system (nigerian something?).
I just built out a new system from about $1300 including a 23 inch monitor - so if they are still looking here is my build . All was bought at newegg
I am using windows 7 RC (Free until next year) and haven't had any trouble yet. But really on ly been playing DemiGod and TF2 - but both of those work fine.
I did place another order as the fans I bought we not quite right (too thick and too much CFM - actually made a whistling noise through one of the grates) and I wanted to get the extra 4 gig of memory now.

1 x ($74.99) HD 640G|WD WD6401AALS % - OEM $74.99

1 x ($74.99) CASE CM|RC-690-KKN1-GP BK RT - Retail $74.99

1 x ($2.59) CASE FAN LED| FAN-4LED-80BU RETAIL - Retail $2.59 - replaced - too thick

1 x ($119.99) PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT - Retail $119.99

1 x ($25.99) DVD BURN LG|GH22LS30 22X LS SATA % - OEM $25.99

1 x ($199.99) MB ASUS M4A79T DELUXE 790FX AM3 RTL - Retail $199.99

2 x ($189.99) VGA SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL HD4870 1G R - Retail $379.98

1 x ($139.00) CPU AMD|PH II X3 720 BK AM3 2.8G RT - Retail $139.00

1 x ($74.99) MEM 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ3RPR16004GK R - Retail $74.99

1 x ($209.99) MNTR ASUS|LCD 24" 2MS DVI MK241H - OEM $209.99

1 x ($22.99) WL ADPT ZONET|ZEW2500P 54M RETAIL - Retail $22.99

2 x ($9.99) CASE FAN SCYTHE USA|DFS123812-3000 - Retail $19.98 - replaced - too thick.

1 x ($-20.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #190878$-20.00

Subtotal: $1325.47