Conference Call

GWJ Conference Call Episode 127

Empire: Total War, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix, Mad World, Resident Evil 5, Your Emails and more!

The emails are piling up this week so we're going to take some time and answer as many as we can! Cory and Shawn were hoping to do a spoiler section for Resident Evil 5 but they only just finished the game ... 5 minutes ago. We'll catch you up next week! If you want to submit a question or comment call in to our voicemail line at (612) 284-4563.

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined. You can also submit a question or comment call in to our voicemail line at (612) 284-4563!

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

"Luna Machine" (Benoit Casey) - http://www.cerebrimusic.com - 0:40:16

Comments

"You do know that orientated isn't a word"
"In Canada it is, so F*** you!"

Man, was that ever funny. Dear Americans, don't forget that our English has some strong British tendencies

For me, as second language user, I'm a bit torn between the two ways of writing. Since I'm Canadian I try to make the effort of adding the u in Colour or Behaviour hehe.

interstate78 wrote:

"You do know that orientated isn't a word"
"In Canada it is, so F*** you!"

Man, was that ever funny. Dear Americans, don't forget that our English has some strong British tendencies

That word's only some 150 years old, though, when it surfaced as a back-formation of "orientation," which is derived from the original verb "orient."

It is a silly word.

Don't get me started on the argument about Cue vs. Queue. Troy Goodfellow and I are throwing down about it in email at the moment!

It is queue. End of argument. Thanks for playing.

Elysium wrote:

It is queue. End of argument. Thanks for playing.

It's context sensitive, like an A button.

OED and American Heritage 4th edition disagree with you.

Swing away, Elysium, swing away.

rabbit wrote:

OED and American Heritage 4th edition disagree with you.

Well England disagrees with you.

Next.

rabbit wrote:

Don't get me started on the argument about Cue vs. Queue.

A cue is a signal. A queue is a line.

rabbit wrote:

OED and American Heritage 4th edition disagree with you.

I'm sorry, but www.oed.com lists 6 definitions for cue, of which 4 are nouns, NONE OF WHICH define the word as a line of people. There is one definition of Queue as a noun, which does define it as a line of people. The only spot the words are interchangeable is the definition of a plaited line of hair on a wig. I didn't check American Heritage because, well, it's American, and thus of no consequence (/pointless snobbery)

can you tell I really don't want to be working at the mess my job left me today?

Oh, great, another asinine argument over the nuances of the English language. Right on cue.

I found this week's podcast kinda short - you covered what you've been playing and emails but you left out the sexy topical midriff.

I bought that kung fu Boggle game on the advice of fellow Englishman and professional Garnett Lee wrangler, John Davidson. After a few goes I lost interest, as with pretty much all iPhone games I've played so far except for Edge. Seriously: if you have an iPhone bereft of Edge you should remedy this situation immediately.

Mystic Violet wrote:
rabbit wrote:

Don't get me started on the argument about Cue vs. Queue.

A cue is a signal. A queue is a line. ;)

Right, both are perfectly good words. Cheque on the other hand...

I thought we only had arcane discussions of the English language when a Conference Call thread was dying. This one is just getting started!

Is this really all we're going to talk about in this thread? I thought we sorted this out weeks ago.

LupusUmbrus wrote:
Mystic Violet wrote:
rabbit wrote:

Don't get me started on the argument about Cue vs. Queue.

A cue is a signal. A queue is a line. ;)

Right, both are perfectly good words.

See? There it's sorted again.

In other news, I installed Civ 4: Colonization over the weekend and I'm not sleeping anymore.

wordsmythe wrote:

Is this really all we're going to talk about in this thread? I thought we sorted this out weeks ago.

LupusUmbrus wrote:
Mystic Violet wrote:
rabbit wrote:

Don't get me started on the argument about Cue vs. Queue.

A cue is a signal. A queue is a line. ;)

Right, both are perfectly good words.

See? There it's sorted again.

Which one's the guy from Star Trek: TNG?

What? The overland map for E:TW is improved? Really? I found it atrocious. The previous ones would work perfectly fine here, but they decided to cut down the info shown and made it so you would have to click even more to get basic info. Plus it's too bright and colorful making it difficult to distinguish things. Alot of great mechanics are taken out in the name of "streamlining". Religion, diplomacy is fairly broken.

AI sends 1 unit armies to take a fort garrisoned by 20 men in a massive suicide rush, then does the same thing the next turn...and the next turn. Unfortunately, you either go into battle map to engage these them every time or use auto resolve causing you to lose 100 men....even though they were on defense outnumbering the enemy 20:1.

This wouldn't be too big, the previous games had similar AI problems but the land battles are just too....fantasy. It doesn't feel like a battle, more like reenactments. No blood, everything is just so "plastic" feeling. Plus too many units are the same and the graphics look meh to be honest. It doesn't fit. AI problems ruin confrontations more, especially siege battles. (Their swordsmen will rush to the walls and stand there under fire.) All this makes me frustrated and order all my men out to just charge them and get more losses than necessary(Or was this part of the AI's plan?)

Don't mean to rant, but alot of the fans are in an uproar over this release.
I know this is the wrong podcast but it makes more sense to put it here so it can be seen

Hi boys,
I wonder if you all feel like we have now officially passed the first gen/new gen cycle of these consoles. As a Wii aficionado, Madworld and House of the Dead: Overkill make me feel that the middle gen product had arrived. Not in content (both very violent titles), but in presentation and skill. Are we in the middle cycle of the current consoles' game spans? I feel we just entered it, but maybe that happened at Christmas with Fable 2, Fallout 3, and Left 4 Dead? The Wii being the leader of the pack (by numbers) is how I am viewing this concept.
Where are we in the game cycle of the current consoles?
As a poor soul who is confined with his mother in law for ten days, she works on a little Sudoku book on the couch for an hour, I agree with Rabbit that this is better for her than playing Castle of Shikigami III (with me :P), or watching Dr. Phil.
There are mentally challenging video games, but my Mother in law is not playing them, nor ever will, so it is better she is doing Sudoku on the couch.

I am so freaking happy you guys said Wing Commander. The question was asked and that is absolutely the first thing that popped into my head. Good to know I'm not alone.

Where are we in the game cycle of the current consoles?

I think we're in the middle at this point. When early games like Gears of War get sequels you're pretty much at the point where developers are comfortable with the hardware and we begin to see that paying off in actual releases. Resident Evil 5, for example, looks so damn good at times I don't even understand how the 360 runs it so smoothly.

Certis wrote:
Where are we in the game cycle of the current consoles?

I think we're in the middle at this point. When early games like Gears of War get sequels you're pretty much at the point where developers are comfortable with the hardware and we begin to see that paying off in actual releases. Resident Evil 5, for example, looks so damn good at times I don't even understand how the 360 runs it so smoothly.

Considering how bumpy their PR ride has been, I suppose something was bound to go smoothly eventually.

Certis wrote:
Where are we in the game cycle of the current consoles?

I think we're in the middle at this point. When early games like Gears of War get sequels you're pretty much at the point where developers are comfortable with the hardware and we begin to see that paying off in actual releases. Resident Evil 5, for example, looks so damn good at times I don't even understand how the 360 runs it so smoothly.

That machine is almost 4 years old and it does better graphics than my 300$ video card bought last year.

I don't remember who said "don't play RE5 if you don't have a friend to play it with" but it's true. Sooo true.

I just have to chime in here that up until this podcast, I thought my wife was the only person who said "hippy dippy".

Still hating War Plan Pacific, Julian? I know you recorded this show before our talk about it.

Anyway, don't listen to him. WPP is a very simple wargame, easier to understand than Birth of America and full of small crucial decisions. I think it was the best wargame of 2008.

Peggle in XBox Live? Why hasn't there been a thread for this? Amazing!

On the justification of our hobby: You touched on something that I think we all feel. Though our hobby is, I think, just as healthy most other hobbies, we're still of a generation that has to endure the negative stereotypes associated with gaming. It's something like a cross between Comic-Book Guy and Otto. It's funny, because I've had conversations that feel an awful lot like that conversation toward the end of the podcast.

Gamers don't want to describe their hobby in a way that's reflexively defensive, but goddamn if it ain't second nature. At least, for me it is.

Fairway Golf is better than Peggle.

garion333 wrote:

Fairway Golf is better than Peggle.

Fairway Golf is unbelievably good. Delicious, even. But it's no Peggle.

Peggle is fantastic because of the drama of each shot. And when you hit that final orange peg and the game explodes into ridiculous joy? That's the best.

Demiurge wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Fairway Golf is better than Peggle.

Fairway Golf is unbelievably good. Delicious, even. But it's no Peggle.

Peggle is fantastic because of the drama of each shot. And when you hit that final orange peg and the game explodes into ridiculous joy? That's the best.

Okay, explosions win every time. So do rainbows out of a unicorns bum.

I'll restate what I said: I find Fairway Golf to be 100 times more addicting than Peggle.

Better?

garion333 wrote:
Demiurge wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Fairway Golf is better than Peggle.

Fairway Golf is unbelievably good. Delicious, even. But it's no Peggle.

Peggle is fantastic because of the drama of each shot. And when you hit that final orange peg and the game explodes into ridiculous joy? That's the best.

Okay, explosions win every time. So do rainbows out of a unicorns bum.

I'll restate what I said: I find Fairway Golf to be 100 times more addicting than Peggle.

Better? ;)

No, because the way you state it now makes it very clear that this is just your opinion and I'm not sure we can truly argue about it like Internet nerds now.

Demiurge wrote:
garion333 wrote:
Demiurge wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Fairway Golf is better than Peggle.

Fairway Golf is unbelievably good. Delicious, even. But it's no Peggle.

Peggle is fantastic because of the drama of each shot. And when you hit that final orange peg and the game explodes into ridiculous joy? That's the best.

Okay, explosions win every time. So do rainbows out of a unicorns bum.

I'll restate what I said: I find Fairway Golf to be 100 times more addicting than Peggle.

Better? ;)

No, because the way you state it now makes it very clear that this is just your opinion and I'm not sure we can truly argue about it like Internet nerds now. :(

You're wrong!