GWJ Conference Call Episode 114

Conference Call

Prince of Persia, Mirror's Edge, Lich King, Jeff Green & Shawn Elliott Join Us For The Whole Show, Shawn Elliott's Review Symposium, 1UP's Rumored Buyout, A New Contest (Win a Free Year of WoW!) Your Emails and more!

What better way to celebrate the near-holidays than listen in as Jeff Green and Shawn Elliott reunite on the Conference Call for their first audio conversation since their time at 1UP. How their jobs are going, Shawn Elliott's review symposium, what we've all been playing and so many other topics I can't possibly list them all here!

We're also announcing a new contest! You have a chance to win a free year of WoW, a custom Christmas card only Blizzard employees received and a free code to change your avatar's gender, name and hairstyle! What a prize! All you need to do is email [email protected] and tell us how you'd celebrate the holidays in Azeroth. Deadline is December 20th, 5:00 PM CST. Thanks to Devmani for donating the prize!

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

"Carving Away Stone" Ian Dorsch - 0:51:16

"Washaway" Ian Dorsch - 1:38:27

Comments

Gaald wrote:

Unfortunately Jeff Green's track isn't great, I know. There were some unfortunate problems and hopefully he will come on the show again at some point and I will be able to make him sound wonderful!

He was a little soft but it sounded fine besides that as far as I could tell, not that I am very picky about sound quality.

Very enjoyable podcast. I feel awkward sometimes because I walk around in public listening to the podcast and occasionally get a grin on my face because of the conversation (such as when Jeff and Shawn were trying to be polite and let the other talk but eventually Jeff just jumped on it) and then happen to make eye contact with someone else causing an awkward tension between us. I blame you GWJ for my potential sexual harassment complaints!

Jailem wrote:

Always great the hear Jeff and Shawn, and together it's even better. But since Jeff has been on, it begs the question. When can we expect Ken Levine to show up? Sometime before the end of the year I suspect.

Yeah! It's been 14 long episodes since Ken was on...

This is a problem that needs the be rectified, STAT!

AP Erebus wrote:
Jailem wrote:

Always great the hear Jeff and Shawn, and together it's even better. But since Jeff has been on, it begs the question. When can we expect Ken Levine to show up? Sometime before the end of the year I suspect.

Yeah! It's been 14 long episodes since Ken was on...

This is a problem that needs the be rectified, STAT!

Rat Boy still goes wanting.

Rat Boy wrote:

Who the heck was doing that Donald Duck sound just before the bloopers?

Shawn Elliott. He can't help himself. We should start a symposium about it.

I think that may have been the best episode of anything ever. Good job!

rabbit wrote:

We should start a symposium about it.

They solve everything, especially if you write manifestos.

Great episode. Anyone who says they like that EA is doing a new IP with Mirrors Edge, why would you want to see a Mirrors Edge sequel? To turn it into yet another mindless franchise that has incremental improvements every year, the very same thing you were happy EA was stopping!? The same team could just as easily use the same tools to make a brand new IP again! If you are really itching for those incremental improvements, support the DLC.

Emotional_Exclusive wrote:

Great episode. Anyone who says they like that EA is doing a new IP with Mirrors Edge, why would you want to see a Mirrors Edge sequel? To turn it into yet another mindless franchise that has incremental improvements every year, the very same thing you were happy EA was stopping!? The same team could just as easily use the same tools to make a brand new IP again! If you are really itching for those incremental improvements, support the DLC.

There's a pretty significant difference between disliking sequels (Need For Speed franchise, for example) and wanting a fresh take on an interesting game that you enjoyed. It's not really an all or nothing proposition.

I think it is unfortunate that people have not taken notice of hot sauce on feet.

rabbit was bleeped again, did he say paradigm?

Certis wrote:
Emotional_Exclusive wrote:

Great episode. Anyone who says they like that EA is doing a new IP with Mirrors Edge, why would you want to see a Mirrors Edge sequel? To turn it into yet another mindless franchise that has incremental improvements every year, the very same thing you were happy EA was stopping!? The same team could just as easily use the same tools to make a brand new IP again! If you are really itching for those incremental improvements, support the DLC.

There's a pretty significant difference between disliking sequels (Need For Speed franchise, for example) and wanting a fresh take on an interesting game that you enjoyed. It's not really an all or nothing proposition.

Yeah, I think there is a difference between hoping for a series to be refined through iteration than wishing for franchise milking a la NFS.

Rob: Sound levels did seem more consistent across the board, unfortunately it seemed to emphasise the poorer quality of Jeff's track. But you ain't a miracle worker, still sounded great.

I was thrown at first when the podcast started. I was listening for improved sound, yet Jeff started the introductions. I wondered what the hell had been done to the sound quality.

I finally got to finish the show this morning and I loved every minute of it. You guys always do a great podcast, generally because your humor comes from yourselves and not constantly making fun of each other (though, yes, of course that happens when things are made for the masses) . . . meaning you're a bit more mature. Probably helps that yall are old.

Anyway, thanks for having Jeff and Shawn on as we all (including you guys) have been wanting that since the collapse of GFW Radio.

Was that Elysium that commented about checking out the Portal 360 controls after having played it on the PC for so long?

I just want to mirror that I had a very similar experience, but the reverse. My example would be Gears of War PC, after having played it on the 360 for ages (since launch). I bought Gears 1 PC on sale to experience the graphical improvements and the special brumak chapter. I used to be a more PC dedicated gamer, so I thought keyboard and mouse would still be a natural feel, but as it turns out, it felt really awkward to try and play it on the PC after having dedicated so many hours to it via a 360 gamepad. My fingers just didnt feel right as they poked at keyboard keys that they had been trained to hit gamepad buttons for. Of course I could get used to, but I was painfully aware that there was a minor delay mentally as my mind would remap trained actions to their new control scheme.

It was an interesting experience because it highlighted that I think that as your motor skills acquire a taste or memory for a particular kind of gaming interface, it just becomes the natural way to experience a game because it becomes automatic. I've drifted away from PC, playing most FPS's and 3rd person shooters on a gamepad for probably 2 - 3 years now, and it's just not a natural feel to make a control scheme switch back to my pc roots anymore.

I've been playing Half Life 2 on my Mac (trying out crossover games) and I find that the combination of being close to the screen and the whiplash mouse speed will often make me motion sick. I hardly ever have this problem with games on the TV (GTA IV being on major exception, that game sucks).

I find on the PC I miss the "analog" nature of moving with the left stick, but on the console I miss the precision of pointing with the mouse. Not that my aim is that good anyway.

What I will say is that the Valve games seem to play better on the PC and seem to be designed and tuned to play better on the PC. This is about more than just the controls though. It's hard to put into words, but their games just feel different with mouse controls.

My example would be Gears of War PC, after having played it on the 360 for ages (since launch). I bought Gears 1 PC on sale to experience the graphical improvements and the special brumak chapter.

I don't think Epic put much time or thought into optimizing the controls for the port from the console. This is true that console only games tend not to fare as well on the PC, but I don't think the blame lies with the control scheme as much as development. Bioshock is a great example: I played it to completion on the 360 but love it more on the PC.

PS Home Giveth and Taketh away.

So today the voice chat mentioned in this conference call gets patched out, but they give you more beard options which I think came up as a point in last week's conference call, or was it the forums... oh GWJ is just one big gaming blur.

I _am_ a fan of robust beard technology.

Thanks again to the entire GWJ crew. I'm pretty impressed with the production quality (that the cast is composed of awesome dudes is a given).

To the new dad who wants to play some games: I have found THE answer: Galactic Civilization 2 and it's expansions. It'll last you forever, only takes one hand to play and since it's turn based, if the baby needs your attention, you can just stop playing until it's needs are satisfied. You don't need sound on since all the important information is displayed in text. AND it's just a brilliant, brilliant game.

Fredrik_S wrote:

To the new dad who wants to play some games: I have found THE answer: Galactic Civilization 2 and it's expansions. It'll last you forever, only takes one hand to play and since it's turn based, if the baby needs your attention, you can just stop playing until it's needs are satisfied. You don't need sound on since all the important information is displayed in text. AND it's just a brilliant, brilliant game.

great suggestion!!!

Plus it's got cute fuzzy animals like Lord Kona. Kids are all about the cute fuzzy animals.

I appreciate the suggestions on one-handed games, and I don't even have kids.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

I appreciate the suggestions on one-handed games, and I don't even have kids.

Well, certainly not that way, you won't.

Awesome show. I was laughing so hard at points I thought I'd crash the car. My only concern is...

what the f*ck is this, if not a thing of nightmares: IMAGE(http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/files/pictures/picture-4.jpg)

The Elysium Who Stole Christmas!

He does it casually and with an odd smirk on his face.

He's a blight on the industry!

You're a mean one, Mr. Sands.
You really are a heel.
You're as cuddly as a cactus,
You're as charming as an eel.
Mr. Sands.

You're a bad banana
With a greasy black peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!

rabbit wrote:
Fredrik_S wrote:

To the new dad who wants to play some games: I have found THE answer: Galactic Civilization 2 and it's expansions. It'll last you forever, only takes one hand to play and since it's turn based, if the baby needs your attention, you can just stop playing until it's needs are satisfied. You don't need sound on since all the important information is displayed in text. AND it's just a brilliant, brilliant game.

great suggestion!!!

And Civ 4; slow paced, one handed, relaxing music, easy to walk away and it won't do anything without you.

I have a question born out of the last few podcasts wherein great love is shown to Wrath of the Liche King because of the specialized instance system. I forget what everyone is calling it because I never made it past level 30 for my one character (stopped playing in 2005 because, frankly, I ain't got the time required to get much out of an MMO). Anywho, the question is: how is this different than what LOTRO did?

Granted, I never made it very far in LOTRO either (level twenty-something), but I do recall there being very specialized instances that affected the game world; case in point, the starting human area wherein part of the village was burned and destroyed and remained that way.

They similar to me, but everyone is talking about how new they are... can someone explain?

I just have to say that this was awesome. It was good to Head Shawn and Jeff together again. You guys have made my week great. I am unfortunately bummed about the concept of EGM going away. When GFW went under that sucked and now EGM going away is uncool. I hate that print in gaming is going away. Sorry I started to rant there. Thanks for another Kick Butt podcast.