GWJ Conference Call Episode 101

Spore, Tales of Vesperia, SOCOM: Confrontation, NHL 2009, Viva Pinata: TIP, GoG.com, Special Guest Jeff "Going To EA" Green, Your Emails and more!

Just because we've done 100 shows doesn't mean we're letting up! This week Jeff Green joins us as he comes off his epic career as a game journalist and stands at the cusp of entering game development working for EA on the Sims franchise. We delve deeper into his future at EA, talk about ton of games and see what we think of Ensemble closing and Elysium's Iron Balls.

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Music credits: 

Intro/Outro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

"Luna Machine" (Benoit Casey) - 0:48:04
"The Neverwhere" - Apoplexia (Benoit Casey) - 1:22:35

Comments

I trust there will be more than 30 seconds of SOCOM lovin' when the final game drops, right? Best military shooter action around!

Once I've spent more than an hour with it, for sure. I know I'll be buying it, so I'm thinking I'll probably avoid playing more until it comes out for reals.

Jeff Green praises you for the level of discourse you keep...

and you end the show with Rabbit talking about his rectum. <3
God I love this place.

Rectum? We barely knew him.

Y'know guys, in Spore when it forces you into an editor like that you can click on a little icon in the lower left corner... looks like a bunch of little boxes... and it'll bring up TONS of pre-created items. All you need to do is pick one and click on the check mark and you can move on. No work necessary. You can also go back and change what you picked in case you want to design something new and unique later.

Oh, by the way, what's Jeff Green's Spore ID? I wanna friend him up.

The game really "takes off" in the space stage, eh?

Rock Band pack with all the instruments ... $170
Rock Band DLC ... $100
Rock Band 2 ... $60
Forcing your 4 your old to hold the microphone for you because you won't fork out $8 on a microphone stand ... Priceless!

Another excellent show guys! It's a highlight of the week.

As being the reciving end of the Colonoscopy I am going to fight for my title.

All i have to say is
IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/rmaeruiz14/colonoscopy.jpg)

I definitely am enjoying the space phase the most in Spore. I find hours just disappear and it has me hooked with that 'just one more action before I stop' addictiveness.

Also, I may need to check out Good Old Games because I tried reinstalling Fallout Tactics on vista. The game runs, but I can't find a patch that will. If they have some sort of voodoo that will run the updated games on vista then I am interested.

As regards selling WoW characters, I have a word for you guys: "compunction."

WiredAsylum wrote:

As being the reciving end of the Colonoscopy I am going to fight for my title.

All i have to say is
[horrifying picture]

:O

I will never, ever get old.

Episodes 100 and 101 have replaced my previous favorite episodes. They have both been absolutely amazing. You guys are f*cking awesome.

That pic is awesome.

...the "Jeff in the Chopter" pic I mean...not the horrifying medical realities of WiredAsylum.

Oh, Good podcast too

Poppinfresh wrote:
WiredAsylum wrote:

As being the reciving end of the Colonoscopy I am going to fight for my title.

All i have to say is
[horrifying picture]

:O

I will never, ever get old.

I am only 28, just a ton of medical issue relating but not limited to Ulcers.

You have risen my ire by invoking the name of the hated "Phil Collins"!

AmazingZoidberg wrote:

You have risen my ire by invoking the name of the hated "Phil Collins"! Genesis allowed is not! Is music group forbidden!

Fixed for nerd funny.

Phil Collins invisible touched me.

Did you have to point out where on a doll?

Ugh. Phil Collins abusing Elysium, Rob and Julian discussing colon-whatchamacallits, and Jeff Green talking about implants. Thanks for the bad imagery, guys. I'm sending my psych bill to you this week.

Edit: On the bright side, you didn't subject me to listening to my own voice. Well, at least until the email show.

WiredAsylum wrote:
Poppinfresh wrote:
WiredAsylum wrote:

As being the reciving end of the Colonoscopy I am going to fight for my title.

All i have to say is
[horrifying picture]

:O

I will never, ever get old.

I am only 28, just a ton of medical issue relating but not limited to Ulcers.

I'm 33! The end is nigh!

Anyway, sorry to hear that.

I was brushing my teeth when the Viva Pinata section appeared, I nearly swallowed the head of my electric toothbrush.

Coldstream holding a human heart is awesome, but WiredAsylum listening to Certis' dulcet tones while getting a colonoscopy is still the winner, but not for any good reasons.

Dulcet is a great word.

It's a two week double-punch to the gut of all the other gaming podcasts out there. You folks are showing no mercy.

Elysium wrote:

Phil Collins invisible touched me.

Don't worry, he did worse things to fans of the band after the idiots decided that the best course of action once Gabriel left was to make their freaking drummer the lead singer.

Can you guys list all the books you were talking about? i'm too lazy to go back and listen to that section again.

EA's store doesn't give you a discount on Partner games like Rock Band, Orange Box , etc.

Great show guys!
With regard to Elysium's answer to my question i think that his statement about gamers not being complicit with piracy is incorrect and should be altered. It should be that 'pirates should not be complicit with piracy'... which kinda nullifies the point.

When you talk about going to places where you're sent death threats (etc) for saying that piracy is bad you're talking about places and people who are obviously pirating on some level... When you try (and i'm thankful for it ) to differentiate the GWJ masses from those other places, you're making a comparison between people of who the majority do not pirate and people of who the majority do pirate.

Lets take a comparison of what you're saying here. Cannabis is illegal. Imagine if the police went around saying that people are complicit with the continued use of the drug. Now, it's true. I know a few people who do partake in it from time to time. I don't agree with it but i don't hang around them when they do it. Now, my point is (and was in the other thread) telling me that i'm complicit in the continued use of cannabis is incorrect and offensive. Telling those who are actively using the drug will result in them being aggressive towards you. However, telling this to them will not result in reduceduse nor will it have a positive effect on the situation. By your logic, all 'people' would be complicit in all crimes committed by 'people'.

In effect, you're preaching to the converted and your message is ignored by those people you intend to affect because if they admitted or care that piracy was bad then they wouldn't do it in the first place... and it's only when the consequences become tangible enough to each person that they will stop pirating. Unfortunately, due to the nature of most piracy the majority will never feel those consequences and thus it propagates in society. By contrast, people can and will be arrested for drug use, treated and educated and sometimes become reformed. This will never happen with your everyday pirate.

With regard to Elysium's answer to my question i think that his statement about gamers not being complicit with piracy is incorrect and should be altered.

I remain pretty firmly in the trench. I am, admittedly, painting with broad strokes, but I just think the realities of the trend of sympathy is clearly complicit with piracy. I think this manifests even in the passion with which we see rejections of company reaction to piracy, often sprinkled with, at best, a half-hearted "now, sure piracy is wrong, but..."

Now, my point is (and was in the other thread) telling me that i'm complicit in the continued use of cannabis is incorrect and offensive.

That only works if you extrapolate that by saying a statement like "attitudes among gamers are a tacit approval of piracy" as saying that every gamer is indicted in the claim. And, I understand how people could do that, but, obviously, it's not what I mean. I can't make a case for every individual and the multiplicity of varying attitudes out there. I can only talk about this topic in trends and the fact that I say the waves are coming in to the shore doesn't mean there's not a rip tide undercurrent.

In effect, you're preaching to the converted and your message is ignored by those people you intend to affect because if they admitted or care that piracy was bad then they wouldn't do it in the first place...

Well, no. Not really. In fact, I'd hardly say that you're converted to my message, which is why we're still talking about this. My message is not "piracy is bad". My message has far more to do with "if you accept that piracy is a reality then you must accept that DRM is a reality, and if that's a problem for you, then be more vocal in stopping piracy." Fair? Probably not. It puts the onus on you to take care of a mess not of your making, but it's not being fair doesn't really change anything. A lot of times the folks who talk about the "reality" of not being able to stop piracy fail to talk about the reality of the consequences.

For me, the _reality_ is that the actions of gamers speaks volumes to being complicit in piracy. The prevailing attitudes defend piracy (or worse, justify it), villainize game makers. But, you mistake my goal as being about conversion. I'm just coming to a point where I am willing to accept that perceived reality and the consequences of it.

Fair enough, we're obviously on different sides of that trench The way i see reality is more along Brad Wardell's lines; piracy is unstoppable and thus clamping down 'unreasonably' on paying consumers is not the answer. That all depends on what you think is unreasonable and while i'm happy with CD/DVD copy protection and cd-keys for online play, i'm not happy with limited installs and authentication for single player games.

My message has far more to do with "if you accept that piracy is a reality then you must accept that DRM is a reality, and if that's a problem for you, then be more vocal in stopping piracy."

My problem with this is that i do accept that both are reality and that one is more directly a result of the other. However, I disagree that if it's a problem for me then i should stop piracy. It's a problem for me so i want to stop DRM that restricts me - piracy doesn't restrict me and there is no way for me to stop it... no matter how vocal i am. Maybe you think differently but being 'vocal' about not liking piracy won't stop pirates. Nor can i go to their websites and start a crusade against them - posting threads debating piracy etc - because i'll just be banned as much as a pro-piracy user would be banned here for trying to promote that...