April 21 – April 27

It's pretty much a given at this point that Dark Souls is an exceptionally good game. It's just that it's not an exceptionally good game for me. I've tried to psych myself up to play Dark Souls or its sequel, which arrives on PC this week. I've watched gameplay videos. I've managed to occasionally not tune out Shawn or Cory when they start talking about it. I've read articles about it. And I always end up in the same place: It sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun, and I don't want to play it.

Still, on a week where there's not much else to talk about, I'd be remiss not to give it the nod it is so sorely due for its PC arrival.

I used to be more bitter about games not launching at the same time on the PC as they do console systems, but what I'm finding in practice is that I make a lot better buying decisions by being able to see what kind of legs the games have after a few weeks on the market. If Titanfall for the PC had come out a couple of weeks after it hit the consoles, I might not have been so quick to pull the trigger. It's not that it's a bad game at all, it's just that it's one of those games that seemed to have a half-life of about 5 minutes.

PC
- Dark Souls II
- Trials Fusion
- Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
- FRACT OSC
- Perpetuum
- Blackwell Epiphany
- Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure

PS4
- Octodad: Dadliest Catch
- Cel Damage HD

Xbox 360
- Warface

PS3
- Cel Damage HD

Wii U
- LEGO The Hobbit
- NES Remix 2
- Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island

Vita
- Demon Gaze
- The Walking Dead: Season Two
- Cel Damage HD

Comments

TheHarpoMarxist wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:

Just saw :/ - I've got enough of a backlog that it's not the end of the world. The two I'm really going nuts waiting for are Wasteland 2 and Torment

Oh man. I put in far more hours than I was expecting into the Beta... They just updated it and I'm trying to resist jumping back in, as I don't want to totally spoil everything in the early game (I would have flat out failed that particular saving throw had it not been for Might and Magic X hitting the Macs, finally.)

I knew I'd be there, so I resisted giving a beta-level pledge

Tanglebones wrote:

I knew I'd be there, so I resisted giving a beta-level pledge

I rationalized myself into it by figuring it would give me a jump start and getting to experiment with how I wanted my Rangers built, thus averting the potential for early party point miscalculation. I applaud your self-control even as I stand by my self-enablement :).

wordsmythe wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
Shadout wrote:

Dark Souls can't be hyped too much.

Just about anything can be over-hyped. Only exceptions that come to mind are theological in nature.

i liked Loki before he was cool.

The gods are difficult to over-hype.

An atheist might contend the opposite.

Gravey wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
Shadout wrote:

Dark Souls can't be hyped too much.

Just about anything can be over-hyped. Only exceptions that come to mind are theological in nature.

i liked Loki before he was cool.

The gods are difficult to over-hype.

An atheist might contend the opposite.

Especially if that atheist hasn't kept up with watching Mike Rugnetta on the PBS Ideas Channel.

wordsmythe wrote:
Gravey wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
Shadout wrote:

Dark Souls can't be hyped too much.

Just about anything can be over-hyped. Only exceptions that come to mind are theological in nature.

i liked Loki before he was cool.

The gods are difficult to over-hype.

An atheist might contend the opposite.

Especially if that atheist hasn't kept up with watching Mike Rugnetta on the PBS Ideas Channel.

Unless the atheist has studied his Agrippa... which I have!

Gravey wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
Gravey wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
Shadout wrote:

Dark Souls can't be hyped too much.

Just about anything can be over-hyped. Only exceptions that come to mind are theological in nature.

i liked Loki before he was cool.

The gods are difficult to over-hype.

An atheist might contend the opposite.

Especially if that atheist hasn't kept up with watching Mike Rugnetta on the PBS Ideas Channel.

Unless the atheist has studied his Agrippa... which I have!

I thought it appropriate considering the rocky terrain.

IMAGE(http://unlhepcl.unl.edu/cl/dark_souls_time.png)

I was initially scared of trying Dark Souls. Demon's Souls gave me fits when I played it on my PS3. But I picked it up anyway--sanity, patience, and controller be damned.

I died at least 15 times during the first 30 minutes. I screamed that the enemies were cheap because the first boss kept smashing me into a stain on the ground while I was down. I then quit the game and didn't touch it for several days.

During this time, it gnawed at me. So I researched on how to get better at it. That's when I realised my mistakes: I should've been more deliberate and observant. I should be quick on my toes and focus on playing defensively. More importantly, the game was fair; I got killed repeatedly because I was careless.

When I returned to the game, I noticed that I improved considerably. I still got killed, sure, but again, it was because I was suddenly careless. I actually started enjoying Dark Souls.

Right now, I just beat the Black Knight at the Undead Burg; the accomplishment was immensely satisfying. I know that I still have a ways to go, and my character will surely die countless more times, but I would be better prepared for it.

Here's what I realised: Dark Souls is an action RPG. Its "experience points" are the souls that you get after slaying an enemy. You can level up just like any RPG, but you--the player, not the avatar--also level up in terms of overall skill in playing the game. You learn how to properly handle your weapon and time your attacks. You master how to parry and riposte. The "meta" aspect is pretty darn awesome!

And when you do figure out how to beat certain parts of the game, the satisfaction is really different compared to the entertainment that you usually get from merely playing any other game that didn't really challenge you.