GWJ Plays Hearthstone

Join Shawn Andrich and Cory Banks as they play Hearthstone, while Sean Sands heckles from the bleachers.

Comments

Thirty-eight minutes and all I got was Shawn comparing the game to masturbation. Le sigh.

Even though the second player gets an extra card and the coin, designers at Blizzard have said that the player who goes first is the statistical favorite by about 0.5%.

If you draw all your cards in Magic you lose instantly, so Hearthstone is actually a little more forgiving there because of its smaller deck size.

Le sigh, Shawn. Le sigh.

Shawn = IMAGE(http://goldeneaglescoaching.com/wp-content/uploads/complain.jpg)?

There are about 380 total cards in Hearthstone right now:

10 Basic cards per class (total 90)
15 Expert cards per class (total 135)
43 Basic neutral minions
110 Expert neutral minions

Then there are a couple other extra weird ones from promotions and/or rewards from collecting certain sets of cards (like the legendary Murloc for owning all the other Murlocs).

As a comparison, Magic: The Gathering releases at least 500 new cards each year, putting its card count well over ten thousand.

You guys capture and plan on posting that EU4 session from before this? Because I would watch 2 hours of Goodjer EU4.

tboon wrote:

You guys capture and plan on posting that EU4 session from before this? Because I would watch 2 hours of Goodjer EU4.

Yep! That will go up on Monday.

"They're not real" is one of my gaming pet peeves. Other things in gaming that aren't real: bloody well everything. You're not an assassin, you don't rule an empire, you're not the captain of a pirate ship, you've never blown up the Death Star, etc. etc. etc..

I also don't care for Hearthstone, but that's just because I pretty much burned out on CCGs in general in high school. Love it or hate it, you're free to do either, but please don't rely on that old chestnut to justify yourself.

As a longtime Magic player, this is the first "virtual" card game that has really hit the sweet spot for me, highly addicting. I do wish there were more cards, but I understand this is just the beginning of something big.

Zudz wrote:

"They're not real" is one of my gaming pet peeves. Other things in gaming that aren't real: bloody well everything. You're not an assassin, you don't rule an empire, you're not the captain of a pirate ship, you've never blown up the Death Star, etc. etc. etc..

I also don't care for Hearthstone, but that's just because I pretty much burned out on CCGs in general in high school. Love it or hate it, you're free to do either, but please don't rely on that old chestnut to justify yourself.

The context of the statement is within the bounds of spending real money on cards to enable you to win more and ... get more cards. It's not the same thing as playing a character in a game or experiencing a story.

To be more specific, if you buy Magic The Gathering cards you can turn around and sell them to someone else if you lose interest. If you buy $100 worth of Hearthstone cards and you lose interest because the game doesn't feel all that varied after a while you can ... snuggle with them? Print them on a printer and have them framed?

That's what I mean when I'm (drunkenly) railing against buying digital items with real money for a competitive game. Whether it's worth it or not to you is a personal choice.

Certis wrote:
tboon wrote:

You guys capture and plan on posting that EU4 session from before this? Because I would watch 2 hours of Goodjer EU4.

Yep! That will go up on Monday.

Excellent! Looking forward to watching.

The gameplay was a little dull while playing with basic cards but I liked hearing your opinions on Hearthstone.

Please include a heckler on all future GWJ Plays.

Fun little game... but after getting into the 15 range on ranked you can start to tell people have been dropping some serious $$$. The cards/combos they start playing and pulling off are just broken to anyone whos not looking to invest.

jowner wrote:

Fun little game... but after getting into the 15 range on ranked you can start to tell people have been dropping some serious $$$. The cards/combos they start playing and pulling off are just broken to anyone whos not looking to invest.

Was wondering how long it would be before I ran into that. Oh well, got my moneyś worth just trying to unlock all the chacters and cards against the AI.