January 27 – February 3

Last week I ran Tomb Raider through the ringer for being a badly managed project, but as the "Definitive Edition" arrives for the-consoles-formerly-known-as-Next-Gen, I think it's also worth reminding everyone that from a game perspective, Tomb Raider was outstanding. While it clearly took the game far too long to get into a profitable state, I am glad that the people responsible for actually building and designing the game stand to hopefully make some money off the project. At least, I hope that's the case.

This week's Game of the Week, though, has to go to Broken Age: Part 1. Out of all the various high-profile games Kickstarted in 2011 & 2012, Broken Age was not one that I found myself worrying a lot about. I have a lot of confidence in Double Fine to deliver on its promises, and though not every game they've released has ended up being a storied classic for the ages, I also have the sense that there's enough games-industry experience in that building so that the team to be pretty well equipped for the ups and downs of development.

The result appears to be at least everything people had hoped it might be, though I have to admit I haven't actually taken the plunge yet. I'm saving Broken Age for some period where I'm not distracted by four other games, and when it comes to these serialized franchises, that's even easier to do.

PC
- Broken Age: Part 1 (download - $25)
- Loadout (download)
- Octodad: Dadliest Catch (download)
- Rekoil (download - $15)
- Rymdkapsel (download)
- Strike Vector (download - $25)
- The Castle Doctrine (download)
- The Floor is Jelly (download)

Xbox One
- Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

PS4
- Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Xbox 360
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
- Rekoil: Liberator (download - $15)
- Tomb Raider: Game of the Year Edition

PS3
- Cyber Sled (download - PSone Classic)
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
- Mark Davis Pro Bass Challenge (download - PSone Classic)
- The Firemen 2: Pete and Danny (download - PSone Classic Import)
- Tomb Raider: Game of the Year Edition

Vita
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (download)

3DS
- Arc Style: Solitaire (download - $3)
- Castle Clout 3D (download - $5)
- Touch Battle Tank 3D 2 (download - $5)

Comments

As a backer, I've already played and enjoyed part 1 of Broken Age, so I fully recommend it to anyone considering it. Hopefully part 2 won't take too long to finish. I think I heard Tim say that they were shooting for late summer.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch ... FINALLY.

The floor is totes jelly!

I am saving myself for next week's release of Bravely Default, the demo of which was fantastic and sold me a day-one purchase of the game. It looks to be like Final Fantasy V, except good!

Spoiler:

There, I said it.

MeatMan wrote:

As a backer, I've already played and enjoyed part 1 of Broken Age, so I fully recommend it to anyone considering it. Hopefully part 2 won't take too long to finish. I think I heard Tim say that they were shooting for late summer.

I haven't finished it yet, but second the strong recommendation.

garion333 wrote:

Octodad: Dadliest Catch ... FINALLY.

I suspect it's better than Octomom: Dadliest Catch would be.

Broken Age unlocks in an hour. Weather has everyone hibernating at home. Should be a fun evening...

garion333 wrote:

Octodad: Dadliest Catch ... FINALLY.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turned out. It was one of the earliest projects I backed.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Octodad: Dadliest Catch ... FINALLY.

I suspect it's better than Octomom: Dadliest Catch would be.

Ewwwwwwww

Broken Age is great! According to Steam, here are the key features:

Pointing
Clicking
Original soundtrack, composed by Peter McConnell, recorded by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
All-star voice cast, including Elijah Wood, Jack Black, Jennifer Hale, Wil Wheaton, and Pendleton Ward
Dialog Trees!
Some jokes. Unless you don't think they're funny, in which case we totally weren't trying to be funny.
A whole bunch of awesome PUZZLES
This one really hard puzzle that you won't get but you'll look it up online and not tell anybody
All your hopes and dreams

Also, Tomb Raider on the PS4 is great as well. I'm glad I double-dipped.

Broken Age has been well worth backing. I love the art work and the puzzles are challenging, but not too challenging. The voicework by Jack Black was great and I'm glad he got on board. The story is a bit on the youthful side, being as I'm well beyond those days now, but it has a wry sense of humor and it catches me occasionally with a nice chuckle. It really feels like going back to days of adventure gaming such as of Day of the Tentacle or the Secret of Monkey Island, with the puzzles being a lot more reasonable. If anything, its a very accessible adventure game that I just want to keep playing, if only I had more time.

garion333 wrote:

Octodad: Dadliest Catch ... FINALLY.

Yes. YES.

MeatMan wrote:

As a backer, I've already played and enjoyed part 1 of Broken Age, so I fully recommend it to anyone considering it. Hopefully part 2 won't take too long to finish. I think I heard Tim say that they were shooting for late summer.

Sooooo.... February/March?
Oh wait, you mean Northern hemisphere summer.

Dwango wrote:

Broken Age has been well worth backing. I love the art work and the puzzles are challenging, but not too challenging. The voicework by Jack Black was great and I'm glad he got on board. The story is a bit on the youthful side, being as I'm well beyond those days now, but it has a wry sense of humor and it catches me occasionally with a nice chuckle. It really feels like going back to days of adventure gaming such as of Day of the Tentacle or the Secret of Monkey Island, with the puzzles being a lot more reasonable. If anything, its a very accessible adventure game that I just want to keep playing, if only I had more time.

Wow, that's pretty high praise indeed. Broken Age wasn't really on my radar, but maybe I need to change that...

Eleima wrote:
MeatMan wrote:

As a backer, I've already played and enjoyed part 1 of Broken Age, so I fully recommend it to anyone considering it. Hopefully part 2 won't take too long to finish. I think I heard Tim say that they were shooting for late summer.

Sooooo.... February/March?
Oh wait, you mean Northern hemisphere summer. ;)

No, Tim means northern hemisphere, since ya know, that's who said it and that's the half of the planet on which he is located.

MeatMan wrote:
Eleima wrote:
MeatMan wrote:

As a backer, I've already played and enjoyed part 1 of Broken Age, so I fully recommend it to anyone considering it. Hopefully part 2 won't take too long to finish. I think I heard Tim say that they were shooting for late summer.

Sooooo.... February/March?
Oh wait, you mean Northern hemisphere summer. ;)

No, Tim means northern hemisphere, since ya know, that's who said it and that's the half of the planet on which he is located. :)

But he could be talking Valve time too.