January 6 – January 12
Don't Starve is an open-world survival game that is at once familiar and unique. It has shades of Minecraft, Terraria, Diablo and a Tim Burton movie, but it's all bundled together in a way that ends up feeling like something new. Made from the company responsible for Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve has, if nothing else, a distinctive style. And, for the the indie-friendly PS4, it's a logical choice.
As we wade through the dim months of winter, waiting patiently for the next generation to hit some kind of stride, my guess is that we'll see a lot of these independent titles doing the heavy lifting for the new systems over the next few weeks. That's not a bad thing either, as there are a lot of really terrific games that have been locked in PC-land that would be great fun on the PS4 or Xbox One.
Also this week Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance gets its shot at a PC release, and Wii Fit U hits retail. Other than that, though, it remains a quiet time of year.
- Consortium (download)
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (download)
- Secrets of Raetikon (download; Early Access)
- Turbo Dismount (download; Early Access)
- Don't Starve (download)
- Tiny Brains (download)
- Twisted Lands: Shadow Town (download)
- Cocoto Magic Circus 2 (download)
- Wii Fit U (retail)
- Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder (download)
- Streetkix: Freestyle (download)