May 28 – June 4

The logo for The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb.

In the post-apocalyptic online gaming landscape that is post-Diablo-III-release Earth, it almost feels like I shouldn't be announcing anything at all. I can feel the game sitting there, on my desktop, looking at me, asking me why in the name of all that is unholy I'm playing other games, or in my slightly insane case, making one. Regardless, this week sees a sound batch of digital trinkets to covet, so we'll press on, our Barbarians and Witch Doctors temporarily forgotten.

This week sees the PC release of Max Payne 3, a divisive title if there ever was one. But regardless of whether you're a passionate fan of the bullet-fetishizing noir parody series or not, it's probably worth investigating all the same. Personally, I was a latecomer to that particular party, but I'm open to the location switch and an actual cover system, given most people (myself included) hid around corners throughout the game anyway.

If one burly muscly fellow with a dark past wasn't enough, Arkham City's Game of the Year Edition makes an appearance on all three platforms this week, along with the "Harley Quinn's Revenge" DLC, so feel free to pick that up should you have waited, avoiding the rigmarole of downloadable content.

Continuing to spurn Diablo III for the time being, there's also a hellish alternative I shall personally petition for you to stump up some cash for my likely Game of the Week: The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb. Chiefly the loving craftwork of renowned indie developer Edmund McMillen, the expansion to the child-abuse-themed roguelike adds alternative dungeons and a host of new items and enemies. The mechanics are solid, the gameplay is fluid and addictive, and the soundtrack is simply phenomenal. It's also cheap, which still feels to me like I'm scamming the developer somewhat, but hey! Cheap games.

Before I go, do you remember your Vita? Yes, the thing you put to one side because your PSP is ironically the device out of the two that'll let you play FFVII. Well, prepare yourself for a little gun-toting action in the most bleak videogame universe I'm aware of. Resistance: Burning Skies makes its way onto Sony's ailing platform in the next seven days, so you should find a good few hours of bullet-flinging solace in that before your iDevice lures you away again.

So what else is there, you ask? Well, then. Take a gander.

PC:
- Max Payne 3
- The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb (download)
- Batman: Arkham City: Game of the Year Edition/Harley Quinn's Revenge (download)
- Damage Inc. Pacific Squadron WWII
- Retro City Rampage
- Iron Front - Liberation 1944
- European Bus Simulator
- SBK Generations

Xbox 360:
- Batman: Arkham City: Game of the Year Edition
- Let's Dance
- SBK Generations
- Mad Riders

PS3:
- Damage Inc. Pacific Squadron WWII
- SBK Generations
- Batman: Arkham City: Game of the Year Edition

Wii:
- Madagascar 3: The Video Game

DS:
- Cradle of Rome 2

3DS:
- Azada

Vita:
- Resistance: Burning Skies

Comments

Binding and Arkham City for me!... in the future, of course. Must not increase the pile!

Pfffft. Dirt Showdown was released on the PC last week and this week on the consoles. What we have here is a dirty European release schedule. How has Sean let it come to this?

Arkham City will also be out for the PS3. It's on my list to rebuy when the price goes down. Such a great game.

garion333 wrote:

Pfffft. Dirt Showdown was released on the PC last week and this week on the consoles. What we have here is a dirty European release schedule. How has Sean let it come to this? ;)

Ah! My apologies - many sites don't make it very clear. I'll nix that one now. Ditto Aristophan.

Yes! European Bus Simulator! Finally!

...that's the one with the bald dude duel wielding pistols in slow-mo while dressed as a bat right?

stevenmack wrote:

Yes! European Bus Simulator! Finally!

...that's the one with the bald dude duel wielding pistols in slow-mo while dressed as a bat right?

It's like GTA IV, but with less crime and more providing a good transport service!

CY wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Pfffft. Dirt Showdown was released on the PC last week and this week on the consoles. What we have here is a dirty European release schedule. How has Sean let it come to this? ;)

Ah! My apologies - many sites don't make it very clear. I'll nix that one now. Ditto Aristophan.

It's okay because even I was confused. The NA launch of the console versions isn't until June, while the PC version is launching in the EU this week ... which is a week after the console versions in the EU and the PC version in NA.

Huh?

I'll be sticking to Dragon's Dogma this week. However, I've been told that I should play Binding of Isaac by some friends.

Though evidently it reminds people of my relationship with my mother.

That...is just...that makes me cautious, to say the least.

I haven't seen any announcements, so please forgive me if this has been covered, but is the rotating Week Ahead thing a permanent arrangement?

You and Momgamer are doing fine, no complaints, I'm just wondering if Elysium has (semi?) permanently gotten out of the Week Ahead business?

Though evidently it reminds people of my relationship with my mother.

Um, well, let's just say that's an indirect way for people to tell you they don't like your mother.

Malor wrote:

I haven't seen any announcements, so please forgive me if this has been covered, but is the rotating Week Ahead thing a permanent arrangement?

You and Momgamer are doing fine, no complaints, I'm just wondering if Elysium has (semi?) permanently gotten out of the Week Ahead business?

Mister Elysium is busy on important business, my friend, so me and Momgamer are laying down some word-based covering fire for him. Luckily, Momgamer has written most of them - I'd have driven every Goodjer off the front page forever by three weeks in. :P.

Is there confirmation Retro City Rampage is out this week? Steam doesn't have an exact release date and the developer's Twitter and web site are both mum on the details

shoptroll wrote:

Is there confirmation Retro City Rampage is out this week? Steam doesn't have an exact release date and the developer's Twitter and web site are both mum on the details :(

It's extremely vague, isn't it? All I could find was "May" for it everywhere, which is really helpful. Especially annoying as I know it's a release that means a lot to quite a few people.

CY wrote:
shoptroll wrote:

Is there confirmation Retro City Rampage is out this week? Steam doesn't have an exact release date and the developer's Twitter and web site are both mum on the details :(

It's extremely vague, isn't it? All I could find was "May" for it everywhere, which is really helpful. Especially annoying as I know it's a release that means a lot to quite a few people.

One question you’re going to ask is “WHEN!?” I don’t have a fixed release date just yet, but it’ll be out as soon as possible. I’m fixing the final bugs and working around the clock to get it into your hands as soon as I can. Keep your eyes peeled here on the PlayStation.Blog!

From here.

You added a Vita game to the text, but forgot to list it in the by-platform-releases list.

As for FF7, I do wonder why anyone would still be playing that unless they've never gone through it before. I not only haven't touched my PSP since I got the Vita, I'm not sure where the thing has even gotten to. It's completely missing, and I haven't even bothered looking for it.

Resistance: Burning Skies makes its way onto Sony's ailing platform in the next seven days, so you should find a good few hours of bullet-flinging solace in that before your iDevice lures you away again.

My i-What? Oh, that thing. Don't remember the last time I played a game on it.

(Although Azada is the best my platform of choice can cough up this week? I'm quite disappointed.)

I really wish AC GOTY had a seperate achievement list like AA GOTY did:(

CY wrote:

It's extremely vague, isn't it? All I could find was "May" for it everywhere, which is really helpful. Especially annoying as I know it's a release that means a lot to quite a few people.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was some sort of XBLA limited exlusivity deal or something else going on. I swear that was in the works at one point, but I have no idea what's going on with this game since I haven't followed it that closely but I have a pre-order down on it because it looks like it'll be a fun nostalgia laced trip.

The twitter feed also mentioned something about an E3 presence so who knows what's going on with it right now :\

Beardy gets stuck in a broom closet and the front page goes crazy! Binding of Isaac as the GOTW!

I approve.

I really should play Binding of Isaac first eh?

Been in the pile since one of those Steam sales...

garion333 wrote:

Pfffft. Dirt Showdown was released on the PC last week and this week on the consoles. What we have here is a dirty European release schedule. How has Sean let it come to this? ;)

Unfortunately, a lot of sites took the day off. Not our noble CY, though! He carried the torch for us, and I'd say he did a much better job than the folks with the Olympic torch have thus far.

kazriko wrote:

You added a Vita game to the text, but forgot to list it in the by-platform-releases list.

As for FF7, I do wonder why anyone would still be playing that unless they've never gone through it before. I not only haven't touched my PSP since I got the Vita, I'm not sure where the thing has even gotten to. It's completely missing, and I haven't even bothered looking for it.

The game's mention on the list is probably hiding wherever your PSP is. I hear it made a wrong turn and got a little lost.