February 27 – March 2

SSX is one of those games that I consistently forget that I liked, alot. I remember owning SSX Tricky, and I remember playing it for weeks. Then I remember that as soon as I was done, I forgot about it almost entirely. Every so often someone would bring it up and then I'd remember the great time I had with SSX, and then I'd promptly forget all about it again.

It's like the video game equivalent of Doctor Who's The Silence for me. The moment I stop looking directly at it, I forget it even existed.

Still, SSX gets my nod for Game of the Week. Also, Microsoft Flight takes, um, flight this week on the PC and Shin Megami Tensei releases a game on the DS that I'm certain a small group of individuals are highly anticipating.

PC
- Containment: The Zombie Puzzler (Steam)
- Da New Guys: Day of the Jackass (download)
- Deep Black: Reloaded (download)
- Microsoft Flight (free-to-play)
- Vessel (Steam)
- Wakfu (free-to-play)

Xbox 360
- Binary Domain
- Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
- Nexuiz (XBLA)
- SSX

PS3
- Binary Domain
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2
- Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
- Order Up!
- SSX
- Storm (PSN)

Wii
- PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond

Nintendo 3DS
- Aah! Spot the Difference (eShop)

Nintendo DS
- Aah! Spot the Difference (DSiWare)
- Gogo's Crazy Bones
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2

Comments

Devil Survivor 2!

That's a DS title? I just assumed it'd be a 3DS title ... whoops.

My life is devoted to CKII at the moment. And a splash of Amalur. No more new games for me.

garion333 wrote:

That's a DS title? I just assumed it'd be a 3DS title ... whoops.

This is Atlus we're talking about, the company that was still publishing PS2 titles in late 2008. They move to new platforms at their own pace.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
garion333 wrote:

That's a DS title? I just assumed it'd be a 3DS title ... whoops.

This is Atlus we're talking about, the company that was still publishing PS2 titles in late 2008. They move to new platforms at their own pace.

I realize that I should know better, however, they did put out that 3DS version of the first one.

PokePark 2 should just be subtitled "I know what my daughter is getting for her birthday this year".

Does anyone know if SSX has couch co-op? I've wanted a good trick racing game for a while, but Pure didn't have split-screen and that was a deal-breaker; and I was looking for a good SSX for 360 a couple years ago but there was none. Now suddenly this game has appeared! And I can't find any mention of local multiplayer anywhere.

Edit: Durr, changed my search term from "co-op" to "split-screen" and got a raft of hits. Yes, I'm a reference librarian, why do you ask? Apparently the answer is "No". Damn.

Edit 3: The un-edit.

Yeah sadly game developers don't see a point in splitscreen in these times. But some games still support it as a bonus.

Gravey wrote:

Does anyone know if SSX has couch co-op? I've wanted a good trick racing game for a while, but Pure didn't have split-screen and that was a deal-breaker; and I was looking for a good SSX for 360 a couple years ago but there was none. Now suddenly this game has appeared! And I can't find any mention of local multiplayer anywhere.

Edit: Durr, changed my search term from "co-op" to "split-screen" and got a raft of hits. Yes, I'm a reference librarian, why do you ask? Apparently the answer is "No". Damn.

Edit 3: The un-edit.

"Binary Domain" is one of those titles that makes me think they could do really interesting stuff.

Then I saw Dudebro McBuzzcutt on the cover.

But then I saw "squad-based" and "innovative AI" ... hm.

rickyyo wrote:

Yeah sadly game developers don't see a point in splitscreen in these times. But some games still support it as a bonus.

If you read the interview, I think it comes across that split-screen was something they wanted but it wasn't feasible. The game is open-world and already rendering at 30fps, and there are only so many compromises you can make and resources you can throw at a problem before you have to make the decision so you can have a shippable game. Unfortunate for some of us, for sure.

wordsmythe wrote:

"Binary Domain" is one of...

Ah, the editor. Just a quick question: "alot"‽

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Devil Survivor 2!

Yep. Tracking came in from Amazon early this afternoon. Hoping to crack it open at lunch tomorrow.

I was all excited about SSX, but I'm actually leaning more toward Binary Domain now myself. Eurogamer and IGN both liked it and the video reviews made it look like ridiculous robot shooty fun.

Is my Gamestop open at midnight tonight?

And this has had an amazing demo that really showed off it's rather deep online score chasing mode. I'm addicted to it already. I can't get enough.

wordsmythe wrote:

"Binary Domain" is one of those titles that makes me think they could do really interesting stuff.

Then I saw Dudebro McBuzzcutt on the cover.

But then I saw "squad-based" and "innovative AI" ... hm.

Judging a book by it's cover? What it doesn't show you is your robot squadmate who speaks with an outrageous French accent.

Gravey wrote:

Ah, the editor. Just a quick question: "alot"‽

Yes! I don't know that it's what Ely intended, but this is the way I read it:

IMAGE(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TTPQCPA6I/AAAAAAAACwA/ZHZH-Bi8OmI/s400/ALOT2.png)

nel e nel wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:

"Binary Domain" is one of those titles that makes me think they could do really interesting stuff.

Then I saw Dudebro McBuzzcutt on the cover.

But then I saw "squad-based" and "innovative AI" ... hm.

Judging a book by it's cover? What it doesn't show you is your robot squadmate who speaks with an outrageous French accent.

Sold!

wordsmythe wrote:
Gravey wrote:

Ah, the editor. Just a quick question: "alot"‽

Yes! I don't know that it's what Ely intended, but this is the way I read it:

IMAGE(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TTPQCPA6I/AAAAAAAACwA/ZHZH-Bi8OmI/s400/ALOT2.png)

We care a lot about your spelling, syntax, how you punctuate
We care a lot about Chicago, MLA, and APA
We care a lot about the Front Page, care a lot about the staff
We care a lot about the posts you're writing, gee they look like drafts

It's a wordy job but someone's gotta do it
It's a wordy job but someone's gotta do it

Gravey wrote:

We care a lot about your spelling, syntax, how you punctuate
We care a lot about Chicago, MLA, and APA
We care a lot about the Front Page, care a lot about the staff
We care a lot about the posts you're writing, gee they look like drafts

It's a wordy job but someone's gotta do it
It's a wordy job but someone's gotta do it

Mr. Bungle would be proud.

nel e nel wrote:
Gravey wrote:

We care a lot about your spelling, syntax, how you punctuate
We care a lot about Chicago, MLA, and APA
We care a lot about the Front Page, care a lot about the staff
We care a lot about the posts you're writing, gee they look like drafts

It's a wordy job but someone's gotta do it
It's a wordy job but someone's gotta do it

Mr. Bungle would be proud.

Introduce yourself, right now.

Gravey wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
Gravey wrote:

Ah, the editor. Just a quick question: "alot"‽

Yes! I don't know that it's what Ely intended, but this is the way I read it:

IMAGE(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TTPQCPA6I/AAAAAAAACwA/ZHZH-Bi8OmI/s400/ALOT2.png)

We care a lot about your spelling, syntax, how you punctuate
We care a lot about Chicago, MLA, and APA
We care a lot about the Front Page, care a lot about the staff
We care a lot about the posts you're writing, gee they look like drafts

It's a wordy job but someone's gotta do it
It's a wordy job but someone's gotta do it

Sorry, can't edit; too busy re-watching the TMNT movie.

wordsmythe wrote:

Sorry, can't edit; too busy re-watching the TMNT movie.

Well when you're done, could you address the TWA titles: dashes, em-dashes, double dashes; full month names, abbreviated names; it's madness!

Gravey wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:

Sorry, can't edit; too busy re-watching the TMNT movie.

Well when you're done, could you address the TWA titles: dashes, em-dashes, double dashes; full month names, abbreviated names; it's madness!

We do that to break you out of your preconceptions and teach you that you don't need structure. It's like punk rock and stuff.

But I'll put it on my long-term to-do li-st.

wordsmythe wrote:
Gravey wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:

Sorry, can't edit; too busy re-watching the TMNT movie.

Well when you're done, could you address the TWA titles: dashes, em-dashes, double dashes; full month names, abbreviated names; it's madness!

We do that to break you out of your preconceptions and teach you that you don't need structure. It's like punk rock and stuff.

But I'll put it on my long-term to-do li-st.

Ha! I do appreciate it.