NSMike[/url]]It's time for another Employee Profile, where we delve into the fascinating depths of the life of one of our hard-working gaming elites. So, you'll forgive me this week if we, instead, present to you one oilypenguin, a slippery ornithoid native to the Cleveland area. With the GWJ community for just under two short years, oilypenguin has established himself as something of a community leader, taking the least of us and making us ever so slightly better at Blood Bowl, and managing to bring International Gamers With Jobs Day into existence by sheer force of will. One could even celebrate him simply for convincing so many of us to travel to Cleveland in the first place, to an eponymous gaming con. Though, who could deny someone internet-famous enough to be followed by Bill Abner on Twitter?
But I digress; we should let this flightless bird speak for himself.
1) Who the devil are you?
My name is Brian, I'm a 30 year old IT Administrator in Cleveland, OH. Yes, I got here by train.
2) What are you supposed to be doing when you're reading GWJ?
Don't tell Teneman, but I do the bulk of my goodjing at work.
3) When you're not working or gaming, what do you do with your time?
Do people have time for things other than work and games? I'm down for the odd board game when I can.
4) How about family? Kids? Pets? Particularly meaningful inanimate objects?
My lovely wife and I have been married for 6 years. We have a dog and 2 rather obnoxious cats. We're also expecting twins in June.
5) When and/or how did you get into gaming?
My dad bought himself a Nintendo and rented Metroid on the way home with it. I don't think I ever let him touch that system again =)
6) Why do you play games? Why haven't you outgrown them?
My road to adulthood got stunted? I don't know. I have few hobbies and games are a way I can connect and interact with people. I don't ever really play anything alone, even single player stuff. I'll just yammer on about it to whoever will listen.
7) What is your favorite game over the last year or so? Why?
Skyrim. I can't remember the last time I was so desperate to keep playing something. Nothing was spectacular, the highs weren't that high but it never let me down and it was always interesting.
8) What is your favorite game that you’re playing right now? Why?
The Old Republic. Because even if the lightsabers aren't cutting through things, they still make pleasing noises.
9) Which upcoming game are you looking forward to most? Why?
10) What first brought you to GWJ? Why do you stay?
Strangely enough it was a combination of things. I had started listening to Three Moves Ahead when it first started and Rabbit was on there weekly. I found I tended to agree with his impressions a lot. GWJ came up somehow and that put you guys on my radar. Fast forward a few months, Dr.Doak and I found that we fell in love with Dawn of War II and were looking for a nice community to play with (we tried random games and hated the experience). Since we had been kicking around the idea of looking for more people to game with and remembered that GWJ sounded like a good play to try, we joined up and well... now we're here =)
11) Is there a particular forum on GWJ that you frequent/favor? Why?
Everything but P&C. Why not P&C? Because it's almost impossible to have a rational conversation through forum posts and I like liking everyone =)
12) Do you have a notable rivalry and/or friendship with someone on GWJ?
13) What is the story behind your tag?
14) Thanks for taking the time to answer our hard-hitting questions! Any last words?
Thanks for meeting me halfway on a lot of my hair-brained schemes. I'm glad they seem to be working out so far and if anyone is annoyed by them, they aren't telling me yet =) I'd like to thank you guys for giving me a place to hang my hat on the Internet. I've met a lot of outstanding people in my time here and I'm looking forward to meeting a whole lot more of you. And a special thanks to whoever coined the term, "fedorable."