March 7 - March 11

There is absolutely no reason to be surprised that Dragon Age II is the Game of the Week. The opening salvo in what will probably be a monumental year for BioWare, countless developers and publishers would kill to have one franchise with the weight and authority of Dragon Age. BioWare have three currently active major franchises with Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and Jade Empire languishing on the shelves waiting for the next round of love.

Mass Effect 2 has slowly crept up my chart of favorite games, but Dragon Age has not aged in the same way for me. I bear the game no ill will, but the ponderously difficult and epic RPG concept has never sat particularly well with me in the first place, and somewhere around hour 20 or so my eyes glaze over fully and I long for the easy familiarity of something less taxing. I have relatively little doubt that Dragon Age 2 will be a repeat performance, but right now I admit that I'm looking forward to the 20 hours to come.

I may try my hand at the console version of the game this time around. I certainly enjoyed the demo on the consoles, and felt that it offered more immediacy and sense of being in the moment than my previous DA experience. Either way, I like that the choice between console and PC is a meaningful one. Some companies just get it. BioWare is counted among them.

For those of you who like your RPGs of a lighter fare, take note that Torchlight hits XBLA this week and under no conditions should be missed particularly if you have not yet enjoyed the PC version. Also, some baseball games.

PC

- Dragon Age II
- Major League Baseball 2K11
- Forsaken World

Xbox 360

- Dragon Age II
- Major League Baseball 2K11
- Yoostar 2: In the Movies
- Warriors: Legends of Troy

PlayStation 3

- Dragon Age II
- MLB 11: The Show
- Major League Baseball 2K11
- Warriors: Legends of Troy
- Yoostar 2: In the Movies

Nintendo DS

- Major League Baseball 2K11
- Pet Bunnyz Bunch
- Atari's Greatest Hits Vol. 2

Wii

- Major League Baseball 2K11
- The $1,000,000 Pyramid

PSP

- Major League Baseball 2K11
- MLB 11: The Show
- Phantom Brave: Heroes of the Hermuda Triangle

Comments

Anyone on the fence about Torchlight for XBLA, do not use the Giant Bomb quick look as a metric for your decision. They make the game look boring as hell, which is completely false.

MeatMan wrote:
Timespike wrote:
Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and Jade Empire languishing on the shelves waiting for the next round of love.

It's highly unlikely that we'll ever see another Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate game, as those were based on licenses that have been pulled. Still, one can hope...

I enjoyed Jade Empire and would like to see BioWare revisit that someday, however unlikely that would be.

I would absolutely love to see BioWare revisit Jade Empire. The setting was really interesting, neither sci-fi nor Tolkein.

Neat, it's a new Dynasty Warriors game!

... Wait, what do you mean "western style RPG"? "Legacy of Baldur's Gate"? I start to wonder if "I played Baldur's Gate" is a statement made like "I totally saw Don Larsen's perfect game."

As for the various 2k11 commercials, I find the Halladay one the most humorous. He emotes pretty well during it for laughs without mugging it up too heavily.

garion333 wrote:

Dragon what? Never heard of it. Though something tells me I may wait until there's an Ultimate edition. But since I know nothing about this game I'm not sure what that would mean.

I did that with the first one and I don't regret it. I guess DA2 Ultimate will come out just when I'm done with the first one.

Dyni wrote:

Anyone on the fence about Torchlight for XBLA, do not use the Giant Bomb quick look as a metric for your decision. They make the game look boring as hell, which is completely false.

Agreed. Jeff was playing on normal and not using any powers as the barbarian. At that point it's just a mindless loot grind. Play on hard people. Do it for the children.

garion333 wrote:
Dyni wrote:

Anyone on the fence about Torchlight for XBLA, do not use the Giant Bomb quick look as a metric for your decision. They make the game look boring as hell, which is completely false.

Agreed. Jeff was playing on normal and not using any powers as the barbarian. At that point it's just a mindless loot grind. Play on hard people. Do it for the children.

Huh. I watched the Quick Look and thought the game looked fun. This is after playing it on the PC and thinking it was a mindless loot grind. I couldn't say what the difference was; maybe I just don't like games without big, flashing green A buttons on the screen.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
garion333 wrote:
Dyni wrote:

Anyone on the fence about Torchlight for XBLA, do not use the Giant Bomb quick look as a metric for your decision. They make the game look boring as hell, which is completely false.

Agreed. Jeff was playing on normal and not using any powers as the barbarian. At that point it's just a mindless loot grind. Play on hard people. Do it for the children.

Huh. I watched the Quick Look and thought the game looked fun. This is after playing it on the PC and thinking it was a mindless loot grind. I couldn't say what the difference was; maybe I just don't like games without big, flashing green A buttons on the screen.

My issue wasn't that he played on normal, as many people like to just cruise through the games and see the sights. It was the fact that he specced his barbarian almost exclusively with passive talents and abilities. He quite literally played through the entire quick look killing everything with the basic melee attack. That's a perfectly viable way to play through the game, but for demonstration purposes, it was incredibly dull, and it gave the impression that Torchlight is a one button masher.

Torchlight started out super, but then right about level 47 the difficulty ramped up substantially for me. Suddenly I was dying once every couple minutes. After a few dozen attempts on the same area, I just quit. I feel like I got my money's worth, but even on the easiest difficulty level, it was too much for me.