February 28 - March 4

At this point in a winter that's already worn out its welcome, when all I can keep thinking about is just for a few minutes stepping outside without having to wear a parka, it's probably a good thing the industry has decided to kick back into drive and keep me distracted. I will love my northern habitat again come May as I always do, but in these dull, gray days of late winter I find myself longing for a nice solid, global climate change and begin thinking about where I can buy chlorofluorocarbon-emitting aerosols in bulk.

This week the MMO Rift launches on the PC, which has been getting some fairly decent buzz but seems predestined to go down the typical fantasy MMO path of desperately staving off irrelevance in the face of overwhelming odds. Also this week, Beyond Good And Evil gets a second life and the high definition treatment on XBLA, and should not be missed. Beyond that, more Pokémon find their way onto the Nintendo DS, which is probably a much bigger deal than I have any interest in exploring.

My game of the week, however, goes to the Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Retribution expansion. When it comes to creating smart and engaging RTS games these days, Relic is as good as anyone else on the market, and though their games don't always seem to have mainstream success, you ignore a Relic game at your own peril.

PC
- Fate of the World
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution
- Rift
- Theatre of War 3: Korea

Xbox 360
- Rango
- Fight Night Champion

PS3
- Rango
- Fight Night Champion

Wii
- Rango
- Remington Super Slam Hunting: Alaska
- Chuck E Cheese's Sports Games
- Maximum Racing: GP Classic Racing
- Maximum Racing: Drag and Stock Racer

DS
- Pokémon Black
- Pokémon White
- Rango

Comments

Can't blame your choice.

Vagrant Story is getting a PSN release this week, though the fact I'm playing Tactics Ogre right now means I won't be buying it just yet, but I'm glad it's getting released in the US finally (on PSN, that is).

What's Rango?

Edit: Movie tie-in. Of course. Why else would it be on everything?

...which has been getting some fairly decent bug but seems predestined to go down the typical fantasy MMO path of staving off desperately staving off irrelevance in the face of overwhelming odds.

OK, I know all those words but I can't get that sentence to parse.

Really looking forward to the BG&E re-release. Will probably have to re-buy it for the 3rd time.

As the resident DoW2 thread spammer:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Can'tz wait fer da boyz ta start rollin' on da battlewagon!

garion333 wrote:

Can't blame your choice.

Vagrant Story is getting a PSN release this week, though the fact I'm playing Tactics Ogre right now means I won't be buying it just yet, but I'm glad it's getting released in the US finally (on PSN, that is).

I didn't realize Vagrant Story was getting a US PSN release. I regretted missing it years ago, so I might check it out now.

Dyni wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Can't blame your choice.

Vagrant Story is getting a PSN release this week, though the fact I'm playing Tactics Ogre right now means I won't be buying it just yet, but I'm glad it's getting released in the US finally (on PSN, that is).

I didn't realize Vagrant Story was getting a US PSN release. I regretted missing it years ago, so I might check it out now.

It was announced yesterday, so it's not as if you had missed out on a bazillion news stories about it.

Edit: Wait. Is PixelJunk Shooter 2 coming out tomorrow? If so, where the hell did that come from? I knew they were working on it, but the release is tomorrow?!?!?!

tanstaafl wrote:
...which has been getting some fairly decent bug but seems predestined to go down the typical fantasy MMO path of staving off desperately staving off irrelevance in the face of overwhelming odds.

OK, I know all those words but I can't get that sentence to parse.

Really looking forward to the BG&E re-release. Will probably have to re-buy it for the 3rd time.

Will be third time for me too. This time, I will play it.

Ah, fellow Minnesotan, it's almost March, meaning we only probably most likely potentially maybe only have one or two more blizzards before theoretical Spring.

Also, it's the week the Rock Band 3 Squier strat is supposed to be out.

oMonarca wrote:

As the resident DoW2 thread spammer:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Can'tz wait fer da boyz ta start rollin' on da battlewagon!

surely you mean...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Still a little disappointed with the Retribution release and the split versions of it. If the complete collector's thing or whatever was on Steam it would help. But otherwise it fees like them trying to nickel and dime you buying the other parts that you don't get with whichever version you choose.

I will probably get it eventually. But their odd decisions have turned me off to pre-ordering, much in the way DAO2 did. Oh well.

stevenmack wrote:
oMonarca wrote:

As the resident DoW2 thread spammer:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Can'tz wait fer da boyz ta start rollin' on da battlewagon!

surely you mean...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Not really, I was trying to converge all the voices inside my head into a single scream. The voices, can you hear them too?

But I do stand corrected.

WAAAGH!!!

Despite being interested in DoW2 from the initial announcement I never got around to picking it up. Think I'm pulling the trigger on the Complete Edition this week.

Pixeljunk Shooter 2 is an insta-buy.

DOW II Retribution is sitting on my hard drive as I type.

Depending on impressions, I might get BG&E. I'll be a third timer, as well.

DoW2:R all the way. One more hour to go! WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!

I also already have RIFT and have been enjoying the headstart period.

Geez, its almost taking as long to decrypt the files as it did to download them. Le *sigh*

fangblackbone wrote:

Geez, its almost taking as long to decrypt the files as it did to download them. Le *sigh*

*nods* I don't do release day anymore cause it tends to cause way too much frustration on my part.

I did enjoy the first 20 minutes of the Imperial Guard campaign so far. It takes a little getting used to the different army since I am so used to the Blood Raven Space Marines.

I live in a tropical country. I've been doing laps in the pool to cool off for months. It's an unusually warm cold season this year. Dragon Age 2 can't come soon enough. Until then, I have my scantily clad Armored Princess to tide me over.

LarryC wrote:

I live in a tropical country. I've been doing laps in the pool to cool off for months. It's an unusually warm cold season this year. Dragon Age 2 can't come soon enough. Until then, I have my scantily clad Armored Princess to tide me over.

I am SO moving to a tropical country.