June 7 - June 11

I have no fundamental problem with Green Day: Rock Band. I just don't care. They are a fine group and I casually enjoy some, if not many, of their songs, but it's more a situation of not changing the channel on the car radio if American Idiot or Good Riddance comes on. I'm never falling over myself to get into their own patented brand of commercialized, accessible punk. I might have swung a few bucks if we were talking a la carte DLC, but I'm hard pressed to even rent this game.

I suppose if GD:RB doesn't sell well then there's going to be conversation about how totally over that whole playing music on plastic toys thing is, probably with just a hint of haughty superiority, and that's nice if you're into that kind of thing. Maybe it's even true, but at it's best Rock Band can still engage me like almost no other game.

So why give the nod to Tiger Woods: PGA Tour 11? Is it that golf has changed so dramatically since last year's edition? Obviously not, but year after year for the right market this game has delivered consistent value. I realize EA is churning out their sports games as if they are built by robots on a production line, but they are also hitting the mark pretty consistently with Woods. The addition of the Ryder Cup is definitely an intriguing feature, but then again I'm the kind of guy who watched all four days of Masters coverage in their entirety. It's a good rental, and I'll get my $10 of happiness out of it over 5 days.

While it's not in the release list below, Joe Danger on PSN might be worth at least a passing glance this week. Also, PSP gamers get some hot action this week with MGS: Peace Walker and a new Disgaea game, while DS gamers get an intriguing Mega Man collection. This is one of those weeks where the deeper you look, the more you might find.

PC
- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Xbox 360
- Green Day: Rock Band
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11

PS3
- Green Day: Rock Band
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11

Wii
- Green Day: Rock Band
- Let's Play Ballerina
- Let's Play Garden
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11

DS
- Let's Play Ballerina
- Let's Play Garden
- Mega Man Zero Collection
- Satisfashion: Rock the Runway

PSP
- Disgaea Infinite
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Coming Soon -
- Crackdown 2 : July 6
- Starcraft 2 : July 27
- Mafia 2 (PC, 360, PS3) : August 24
- Metroid Other M : August 31

Comments

Golf over MGS: Peace Walker and Mega Man Zero Collection?! Harsh!

<- Doesn't care for MGS

It is what it is.

I am rather terrified of Disgaea Infinite's title. All of the Disgaea games are pretty much infinite anyway, what with all those item level worlds and level caps in the hundreds.

Elysium wrote:

<- Doesn't care for MGS

It is what it is.

I can respect that.

Come to think of it, do portable games ever get "Game of the Week"? I can't remember it ever happening...wait, Scribblenauts, maybe?

Clemenstation wrote:

I am rather terrified of Disgaea Infinite's title. All of the Disgaea games are pretty much infinite anyway, what with all those item level worlds and level caps in the hundreds.

It's not a traditional Disgaea title, it's actually a visual novel, so my guess is that this will be the least infinite of anything with Disgaea in the title.

Then again, they might find a way to make it never, truly end.

Come to think of it, do portable games ever get "Game of the Week"? I can't remember it ever happening...wait, Scribblenauts, maybe?

Yes, very occasionally. What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord? and Zelda, Spirit Tracks were the most recent.

I cannot freakin' wait to get my hands on the Mega Man Zero Collection! Must have!

Joe Danger for me.

Excite Bike meets Trials HD?

Yes please.

but at it's best Rock Band can still engage me like almost no other game.

Too busy playing Let's Play Ballerina to proof, I'd wager...

You mentioned a Mega Man collection and I was hoping they ported all of Mega Man X to the DS.

While this is still nifty, I'm...not really sure if I care or not. I enjoyed the first Mega Man Zero well enough, but there were times that it was just too f*cking hard for my tastes. To the point that when I beat it and they told me I unlocked "hard" mode I screamed with rage. Such a statement suggested that what I had gone through wasn't, in fact, hard, and thus insulted me.

Still, it was some solid Mega Man action, and now it is all compiled into a single collection...

Peace Walker will be mine tomorrow, and I might buy Tiger Woods, but probably not.

I'll bitch and moan about TW's ridiculous pricing for DLC courses on the 360 (or PS3), which is even more annoying when you are paying for the courses that come with the Wii version of the game, and probably lament the way EA trashed the gameplay balance in order to drive sales of DLC boosts for your golfer. But I still plunked $5 down for a pre-order (another thing I hate) so I can pick up one of the DLC courses for free.

There is something very Zen about Tiger Woods Golf, and I love going through the process to build my golfer up, and then take on the courses. While I was tempted to hold off and stick with TW 10, EA did include some pretty nice features for this year that really will make the game even more fun.

Not sure about Green Day: Rock Band. The demo really showed that they have taken nearly the same time to craft an excellent experience in the same way they did for The Beatles. The difference is, Green Day is so not The Beatles. I think U2 would have gotten my money.

But GD:RB is a well made game that will be fun to play, I'm sure. It's just that after trying Guitar Hero: Van Halen, I know how bad these band games can actually be. So kudos to RB for at least doing it right, even if GD doesn't seem to be the right band.

garion333 wrote:
Clemenstation wrote:

I am rather terrified of Disgaea Infinite's title. All of the Disgaea games are pretty much infinite anyway, what with all those item level worlds and level caps in the hundreds.

It's not a traditional Disgaea title, it's actually a visual novel, so my guess is that this will be the least infinite of anything with Disgaea in the title.

Then again, they might find a way to make it never, truly end.

Ha, that's much stranger than I expected. I figured they were just re-re-releasing Hour of Darkness with theoretically unattainable levels of grinding.

ccesarano wrote:

You mentioned a Mega Man collection and I was hoping they ported all of Mega Man X to the DS.

While this is still nifty, I'm...not really sure if I care or not. I enjoyed the first Mega Man Zero well enough, but there were times that it was just too f*cking hard for my tastes. To the point that when I beat it and they told me I unlocked "hard" mode I screamed with rage. Such a statement suggested that what I had gone through wasn't, in fact, hard, and thus insulted me.

Still, it was some solid Mega Man action, and now it is all compiled into a single collection...

They added some new features... like Easy Mode. If there was ever a series that needed Easy Mode, it's MMZ. I never beat the third one and refused to play the fourth because of it. Now I might have a chance.

I'm never falling over myself to get into [Green Day's] own patented brand of commercialized, accessible punk.

Commercialized? Nah, dude, Green Day is totally anti-corporate. I saw them at Cricket Wireless Pavilion(TM) in Phoenix, bro, and when they sang "American Idiot," I was all like, "Whoa." I was so glad that I'd bought a ticket from Ticketmaster(TM) to go see them, dude. Bro. Dudebro, dude.

(-:

In all seriousness, I'm in pretty much the same boat you are when it comes to Green Day. They have a handful of newer songs I like, and I'd have plunked down the cash to download Dookie into RB2, but a full $60 game? I say IMAGE(http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/hbi2k/calvin-and-hobbes.jpg) to that.

For the record, I feel the same way about the Beatles. Fine band, whatever, but charging $60 for half the content of a full numbered Rock Band title and then setting up the other half of their discography as paid DLC? Nuts to that. You were supposed to be better than this, Harmonix. Did you miss the bit where Guitar Hero started giving out copies of Guitar Hero Van Halen away like prizes in a cereal box? That's how much band-specific music games are worth.

Thankfully a slow week for games. Just now getting to Bioshock 2 myself. I'm a little behind.

I really want to play Peace Walker, because I'm a Metal Gear nerd and it's got co-op. But PSP games are just kinda irritating to play, and there's no way I'm going to be able to play with a friend. Maybe I will wait till PAX; if it's cheap then it might be worth picking up for co-op jamming.

Very seriously considering Tiger Woods, though.

Spoiler:

That's what she said? Sigh.

Megaman Collections looks pretty good. I never played any of the zero games.

Clemenstation wrote:
garion333 wrote:
Clemenstation wrote:

I am rather terrified of Disgaea Infinite's title. All of the Disgaea games are pretty much infinite anyway, what with all those item level worlds and level caps in the hundreds.

It's not a traditional Disgaea title, it's actually a visual novel, so my guess is that this will be the least infinite of anything with Disgaea in the title.

Then again, they might find a way to make it never, truly end.

Ha, that's much stranger than I expected. I figured they were just re-re-releasing Hour of Darkness with theoretically unattainable levels of grinding.

So just re-releasing it unchanged then?

grobstein wrote:

Very seriously considering Tiger Woods, though.

Spoiler:

That's what she said? Sigh.

I laughed.

I haven't got the NPD numbers memorized, but DJ Hero has moved some three-quarters of a million units. My 9-to-5 is in musical instrument retail, and we're seeing an otherwise inexplicable upward trend in DJ gear in the last six months. Operating in a perfect vacuum, DJ Hero just spawned 750,000 potential new customers for turntables, mixers, headphones...heck, maybe even lighting and stage effects. So I don't know if everyone's "totally over that playing music on plastic toys thing," but sure, a reasonable number of gamers must be trying out the real deal.

I'm. I'm sleepy. I'm sorry if that's all jambalaya. All jumbled. Jumbo jets.

Sensical wrote:

I haven't got the NPD numbers memorized, but DJ Hero has moved some three-quarters of a million units. My 9-to-5 is in musical instrument retail, and we're seeing an otherwise inexplicable upward trend in DJ gear in the last six months. Operating in a perfect vacuum, DJ Hero just spawned 750,000 potential new customers for turntables, mixers, headphones...heck, maybe even lighting and stage effects. So I don't know if everyone's "totally over that playing music on plastic toys thing," but sure, a reasonable number of gamers must be trying out the real deal.

I'm. I'm sleepy. I'm sorry if that's all jambalaya. All jumbled. Jumbo jets.

You mean it might have been non-Sensical? No, it made sense.

Sensical wrote:

I haven't got the NPD numbers memorized, but DJ Hero has moved some three-quarters of a million units. My 9-to-5 is in musical instrument retail, and we're seeing an otherwise inexplicable upward trend in DJ gear in the last six months. Operating in a perfect vacuum, DJ Hero just spawned 750,000 potential new customers for turntables, mixers, headphones...heck, maybe even lighting and stage effects. So I don't know if everyone's "totally over that playing music on plastic toys thing," but sure, a reasonable number of gamers must be trying out the real deal.

I'm. I'm sleepy. I'm sorry if that's all jambalaya. All jumbled. Jumbo jets.

As Garion says, makes sense and I think it provides an insight into the nature of the game. Now I haven't touched it, but most people say that it is actually very like DJing. It makes sense that it is an easier gateway to the real thing than Guitar Hero.

And someone with the inclination to pick up the game will likely be more strongly inclined to move on to the real thing.

In other news, this discussion and the following video may have sold me a copy of DJ Hero:

That just looks fun.

Joe Danger is hella fun. I'm not a huge fan of paying $15 for downloadable titles, but I'm okay with it because the track creator/editor is a thing of genius. So simple, so fun.

But wouldn't you rather have the South Park version of Tiger Woods: PGA Tour 11?

I am loving Green Day: Rock Band, but mainly because I am a huge fan of the band. Their music is a helluva lot of fun to play, even if at times it's fairly simple stuff. I think where the game does well is in the fun factor. They're just a really fun band to play, especially on drums and vocals. Music snobs might complain that their guitar work is too easy, but this is just Rock Band.

I can see how people would wonder why they needed a whole game. I would have been equally happy with all of these songs as DLC. Frankly, I don't think Green Day has enough of a visual flair, like The Beatles, to warrant a complete game, but they did a good job. For super fans like me, this is the game to get.

Now, let's just hope the U2: Rock Band rumors are true...

Speaking of band games, someone mentioned Van Halen. Boy what a waste of potential that game was. I still see it for 60 bucks in stores and just laugh. I'd pay maybe 20, simply based on the fact that half the game is NOT VAN HALEN. I have a crazy dream that the Rock Band people get the license to make a Van Halen game, and they do, but this time they have only Van Halen songs, and they give us songs from all three singers. Yes, even that Gary guy gave us a couple of good singles. Obviously the main focus would be Dave and Sammy. Seriously, how cool would that be? I say... very.

burntham77 wrote:

Now, let's just hope the U2: Rock Band rumors are true...

Are there rumors? I think it would make for as cool of a game as the Beatles, since they have a large enough library of great music, as well as a progression in their sound that would make playing the same band much less monotonous. But I haven't heard that U2 was even interested.

Speaking of band games, someone mentioned Van Halen. Boy what a waste of potential that game was. I still see it for 60 bucks in stores and just laugh. I'd pay maybe 20, simply based on the fact that half the game is NOT VAN HALEN. I have a crazy dream that the Rock Band people get the license to make a Van Halen game, and they do, but this time they have only Van Halen songs, and they give us songs from all three singers. Yes, even that Gary guy gave us a couple of good singles. Obviously the main focus would be Dave and Sammy. Seriously, how cool would that be? I say... very.

Cool, but will never, ever happen. Eddie turned into a big drama queen, and there is no way Sammy Hagar would be included in a project. Personally, just get me some old VH in the rock band store and I would be happy.

Sammy is on my list of guilty pleasures. I would buy a Sammy game in a heartbeat, but some good Hagar in the Rock Band store would be appreciated.