Bare Minimum - Experimental Gameplay Project

Boy, this week do I have an exciting offer for you! Normally, this slot only features one game. I know what you're saying, “Only one game? You bastard!” But for the low, low price of free this week I'm bringing you not one, not two, but 29 games! All delivered right to your mouse!

The Experimental Gameplay Project ran a theme contest about the “Bare Minimum” for game design. It received tons of quality, bite-sized entries. Instead of trying to pick out one that would be worth talking about, I figured that linking to all of them then discussing a few would be a lot more interesting. A few highlights.

No Quarter: V-Sides – a couple of games from Alex Austin of Bridge Builder fame. A realistic physics helicopter sim where you rescue people with a basket and a physics based 2D skateboard game

Arpeggi – a game done in one pixel that's actually playable. A 0d game, talk about retro!

Equip: Pants – an old-school JRPG where your goal is to find pants. It's non-explicit, your character consists of a square where the bottom half of the square is pink.

TunnelVision – a Starfox like tunnel-racing game where your goal is to keep your ship that's made from ice from heating up. Interesting floaty control scheme, but the levels seem very hard.

There's plenty more entries that are worth the few seconds they take to download, feel free to check them out and comment in the thread below

[size=20]Download Now[/size]

Comments

There's one on Kongregate called Canabalt, which isn't QUITE as simplistic as "one pixel," but has pretty straightforward gameplay: you run. It uses the pixel graphics that I so often rail against but does a pretty good job with them anyway, and I like the feel of it.

So yeah, not exactly the bare minimum, and not really related to the theme of this post but... I dig it and I wanted to post it!

Also, I think it's very generous to call Arpeggi a game, in that there isn't really anything to do other than make pretty colors.

Also, I think it's very generous to call Arpeggi a game, in that there isn't really anything to do other than make pretty colors

I felt like the goal was "figure out what the hell is going on"

Wow Canabalts pixels are so vibrant! Cool little game, though I only got 400m. Must try again.

LobsterMobster wrote:

There's one on Kongregate called Canabalt, which isn't QUITE as simplistic as "one pixel," but has pretty straightforward gameplay: you run. It uses the pixel graphics that I so often rail against but does a pretty good job with them anyway, and I like the feel of it.

So yeah, not exactly the bare minimum, and not really related to the theme of this post but... I dig it and I wanted to post it!

Also, I think it's very generous to call Arpeggi a game, in that there isn't really anything to do other than make pretty colors.

We thought about spotlighting Canabalt, but we try to point out games that aren't getting the coverage they should, and both Canabalt and Time Donkey have been fairly big in the headlines this week. That's not to say they're bad or uninteresting games, though.

Time Donkey IS really good...

I have to say I really enjoyed Equip: Pants, strange as it may seem. I'm not sure I finished it (I got red dragon's pants), but I had fun.

wanderingtaoist wrote:

I have to say I really enjoyed Equip: Pants, strange as it may seem. I'm not sure I finished it (I got red dragon's pants), but I had fun.

I enjoyed the premise that all the typical citizens of the RPG were talking to you without wearing pants. You walk into the idyllic small village then you hear "Look away children, look away!"

I can recommend Avoid Hitting Piano on the iphone/ipod. Its a jump and run where you only jump. It is very bare minimum. As the game is speeding up, so does Beethoven's music (Alegretto from op. 131)...

okay, I admit, I am the developer, but I thought it would fit here...

cheerio

brof wrote:

I can recommend Avoid Hitting Piano on the iphone/ipod. Its a jump and run where you only jump. It is very bare minimum. As the game is speeding up, so does Beethoven's music (Alegretto from op. 131)...

okay, I admit, I am the developer, but I thought it would fit here...

cheerio

Sounds pretty awesome! Do you have an App Store link handy?

of course I have

iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...

right now I am working in incorporating Mozarts Rondo alla Turca... switching back and forth between Mozart and Beethoven's music...

brof wrote:

of course I have

iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...

right now I am working in incorporating Mozarts Rondo alla Turca... switching back and forth between Mozart and Beethoven's music...

Having a Tom Waits quote in your sig makes me wish I had an iPhone/Touch to be able to buy your app.

Can you actually get anything apart from the first set of pants on Equip:Pants? I just gave up after five seconds of looking around after people started insulting my snazzy new pants.

VDOWhoNeedsDD wrote:

Can you actually get anything apart from the first set of pants on Equip:Pants? I just gave up after five seconds of looking around after people started insulting my snazzy new pants.

I think I exhausted all the options trying to keep going after that point. I think that's the end, though it'd be nice if there were a signal for that.

wordsmythe wrote:
VDOWhoNeedsDD wrote:

Can you actually get anything apart from the first set of pants on Equip:Pants? I just gave up after five seconds of looking around after people started insulting my snazzy new pants.

I think I exhausted all the options trying to keep going after that point. I think that's the end, though it'd be nice if there were a signal for that.

Ah, bad design. I see.

Thanks for the write up about my game Equip Pants, and thanks to all of you who said you played it.

I realize the original ending may be a bit confusing, but the entire game was kind of a gag, so the ending where you get the pants and the guards still don't let you in is kind of a joke I'm playing on the player. Also, the game was made in like 35 hours... heh

I did make a second and more definitive ending for the game:

http://www.zachstronaut.com/lab/equi...

You might want to check that out.

zachstronaut wrote:

Thanks for the write up about my game Equip Pants, and thanks to all of you who said you played it.

I realize the original ending may be a bit confusing, but the entire game was kind of a gag, so the ending where you get the pants and the guards still don't let you in is kind of a joke I'm playing on the player. Also, the game was made in like 35 hours... heh

I did make a second and more definitive ending for the game:

http://www.zachstronaut.com/lab/equi...

You might want to check that out.

I spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do after I got the pants. After I checked everywhere on the map I realized what you had done. I thought it was clever.

zachstronaut wrote:

I did make a second and more definitive ending for the game:

http://www.zachstronaut.com/lab/equi...

You might want to check that out.

Nice.

Realising I was kind of blunt before, I just came back to say: I did really like your game! I just enjoy moaning too =)

VDOWhoNeedsDD wrote:

I just enjoy moaning too =)

On the internet, you say?

It's the newest thing. Get in the groove, Wordy.

No hard feelings. I appreciate the criticism and the compliment.