August 17 - August 22

It's a franchise more than 25 years old and id parlayed their success with its 3d version into Doom, so why am I not more excited about the latest version of Wolfenstein? It really has everything you could ask for -- guns, Nazis, zombies, gun-wielding Nazi zombies. I mean, does it get any better than that?

With Madden last week and now Wolfenstein, it looks like summer has come to an end as far as the video game industry is concerned. It may be a somewhat Spartan season -- and that's not an Halo ODST joke -- with the biggest games of 2009 now the biggest games of 2010, so it may be worth paying attention to a few games you might not have otherwise cared too much about.

For me, I might begin by giving Wolfenstein some attention, and so it is my Game of the Week.

PC
- Code of Honor 3: Desperate Measures
- Raven Squad: Operation Hidden Dagger
- Tales of Monkey Island - Chapter 2: The Siege of Spinner Cay
- War Leaders: Clash of Nations
- Wolfenstein

Xbox 360
- Raven Squad: Operation Hidden Dagger
- Wolfenstein

PS3
- Wolfenstein

Wii
- Army Rescue
- Domino Rally
- Spectrobes: Origins

Nintendo DS
- Ant Nation
- Astrology DS
- My Dress-Up
- My Friends
- My Make-Up
- Shorts
- Sudoku Ball Detective

Comments

I wouldn't expect any actual Nazi Zombies in Wolfenstein. From what I've seen, the game leans more toward occult, other-world kind of stuff rather than zombies per say.

Certis wrote:

I wouldn't expect any actual Nazi Zombies in Wolfenstein. From what I've seen, the game leans more toward occult, other-world kind of stuff rather than zombies per say.

Nazi Cthulu worshipers?

Okay, so so far on our list of sympathizers who would rather let the Nazi Zombies roam free than take up arms against them we have Sensical and adam.greenbrier. This thread is already helping us figure out who not to let into our safe rooms when the apocalypse hits.

The multiplayer isnt nearly as good as RTCW/W:ET =(

Switchbreak wrote:

Okay, so so far on our list of sympathizers who would rather let the Nazi Zombies roam free than take up arms against them we have Sensical and adam.greenbrier. This thread is already helping us figure out who not to let into our safe rooms when the apocalypse hits.

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Et tu Wolfenstein?

An Activision game? Alas. Ooooh the humanity!

...

Alright so I'm currently enforcing a strict Activision boycott. I'm not buying their stuff out of principle. However, I highly respect id and Raven. Should I do an exception ~for the developers~ ?

decisions, decisions. Can't make up my mind.

interstate78 wrote:

Alright so I'm currently enforcing a strict Activision boycott. I'm not buying their stuff out of principle. However, I highly respect id and Raven. Should I do an exception ~for the developers~ ?

decisions, decisions. Can't make up my mind.

Well...since it sounds like Activistion doesn't WANT me to buy it I might just grab a copy anyway
If I do decide to grab a copy though, it will be on Raven's behalf, naturally.

garion333 wrote:

Why has Wolfenstein been so underhyped?

It doesn't require a plastic guitar to play.

LightBender wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Why has Wolfenstein been so underhyped?

It doesn't require a plastic guitar to play.

What Wolfenstein needs is a soundtrack from the Beatles so you could kill Nazis to A Hard Day's Night.

interstate78 wrote:

Et tu Wolfenstein?

An Activision game? Alas. Ooooh the humanity!

...

Alright so I'm currently enforcing a strict Activision boycott. I'm not buying their stuff out of principle. However, I highly respect id and Raven. Should I do an exception ~for the developers~ ?

decisions, decisions. Can't make up my mind.

Boycotts are dumb. Buying good games are undumb.

Unfortunately this just seems like one of those games that won't make any ripple at all. Fun, but not overly fun, and good, but not very good. It's one of those things that makes me think, "Why bother?" and that's never good.

With that said, I'm sure it will be a decent enough game, as it is Wolfenstein after all.

Switchbreak wrote:

Boycotts are dumb. Buying good games are undumb.

Your money is a vote. When you give your money to Activision, you say ''yes sir, please continue to make half a dozen guitar heroes a year, split one game in 3 because you can, cut out projects like Brutal Legend and sue everyone in sight''

Boycotts aren't dumb, It's the only thing we've got to voice our opinion as consumers.

When you refuse to buy a game that you want because you don't like the publisher, you say "maintaining your public image is more important than making good games."

Anyway, I'm just trying to be the voice of libertine hedonism here. You are free to do what you feel is right, obviously.

interstate78 wrote:

Your money is a vote. When you give your money to Activision, you say ''yes sir, please continue to make half a dozen guitar heroes a year, split one game in 3 because you can, cut out projects like Brutal Legend and sue everyone in sight''

Actually, that's what you're saying by not giving them money. You are essentially saying "Your investment in worn out franchises, overpriced plastic toys and licensed shovelware will continue to do well no matter what. In retaliation, I won't buy any of your games, regardless of the quality and positive business practices behind them. This should convince you to make games of better quality using better business practices. I'm not quite sure how."

Boycotts are dumb.

No, your opinion is dumb. So there.

No, my opinion is awesome. I don't know why I have to keep explaining this to you.

interstate78 wrote:

So out of principle, I'll continue to enforce my boycott thankyouverymuch.

I'll be lurking in the Modern Warfare 2 thread in November waiting to jump out of the bushes and scream "Ah ha!" when you mention that you bought it, then.

kuddles wrote:
interstate78 wrote:

So out of principle, I'll continue to enforce my boycott thankyouverymuch.

I'll be lurking in the Modern Warfare 2 thread in November waiting to jump out of the bushes and scream "Ah ha!" when you mention that you bought it, then.

Bring a comfy chaise longue my friend, you'll need it!

kuddles wrote:
interstate78 wrote:

Your money is a vote. When you give your money to Activision, you say ''yes sir, please continue to make half a dozen guitar heroes a year, split one game in 3 because you can, cut out projects like Brutal Legend and sue everyone in sight''

Actually, that's what you're saying by not giving them money. You are essentially saying "Your investment in worn out franchises, overpriced plastic toys and licensed shovelware will continue to do well no matter what. In retaliation, I won't buy any of your games, regardless of the quality and positive business practices behind them. This should convince you to make games of better quality using better business practices. I'm not quite sure how."

Boycotts are dumb.

You have a point in the sense that, Activision is like a psycho ex girlfriend. If suddenly people boycotted Activision, their reaction would be to kill their developers, kill franchises, etc. They would never ask if the public opinion has anything to do with it.

So yeah in the end a boycott is probably bad idea but I still think that giving money to a company with such practices means condoning their actions.

So out of principle, I'll continue to enforce my boycott thankyouverymuch.

By not buying the actual good games Activision releases, you're just encouraging them to keep shovelling out crap.

I agree with the WWII overload, but Wolfenstein was the first real OMFG game I remember seeing - originally, on an Apple II - and this reimagining looks pretty dang cool. Only problem for me is whether to rent it on PS3 or 360.