April 21 - April 26

Call it a niche week. Both The World Ends With You on the DS and Heavenly Guardian on the Wii seem like the sort of games that probably have secret followings with elaborate handshakes and their own pidgin languages. Frankly the canon of Nintendo continues to flummox me, and I can make neither hide nor hair of what constitutes a meaningful release on those systems. It underscores a schism in the gaming world that grows deeper with time. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose, this construction of new levels of hardcore to which the deepest aficionados subscribe.

I suppose I'm like the guy who describes himself a lover of film because he discriminates among summer blockbusters, entirely oblivious to the undertow of creativity that swirls beneath and against the tidal flows. Even as I'm prepared to offer Persona 3 FES game of the week, I also have to admit that I find these attempts to cash back in on an already released game (see: Ninja Gaiden) rather distasteful. But, to be fair I could not describe to you the differences between the original and FES without a wiki and a feature sheet, so I'll assume that there's something included that will give players a satisfying reason to dump another thirty bones on a game they've already played. Congratulations, I guess.

Meanwhile on DVD enjoy the shaky cam footage of national monuments destroyed in the surprisingly good (this from the movie fan as described above) Cloverfield, and bask in Aaron Sorkin's unrealistically paced dialogue and leftist overtones in Charlie Wilson's War. More here.

PC:
- Lineage II: The 4th Anniversary Edition
- Sword of the Stars
- Turok

PS2:
- Riding Star
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

PSP:
- Chameleon

DS:
- Dream Pinball 3D
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
- River King: Mystic Valley
- The World Ends With You

PS3:
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Game of the Year Edition
- NBA Ballers: Chosen One

Xbox 360:
- NBA Ballers: Chosen One

Wii:
- Battle of the Bands
- Heavenly Guardian
- Target: Terror
- Wild Earth: African Safari

Comments

Wilson's war was an odd movie with Hanks miscast and Roberts ugly. Cloverfield was groundbreaking (no pun intended). And Nintendo does continue to flummox me.

FYI for those that like Atlus RPGs they have just reprinted Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, currently available only @ play-asia for $48.30 shipped. It does not include the soundtrack that was packed with the original but for that price (ebay sellers want double that price) you can't go wrong for a brand new copy.

I'm wondering if I should put this up as a new topic on the forum?

Additionally, for those that have been holding out on Eye of Judgment or just want to get the PS3 camera for cheap, Amazon is selling the game today only (4/21) for $43 w/ free shipping (reg price is $70).

For the record, FES is not just an attempt to cash in on the fans. It does have new content but the real feature is that you can actually find a copy. You'd be lucky to find a copy of the original Persona 3 in the wild and even then they were still selling for a full $50. I attempted to drop that and pick up a copy but Sears couldn't even locate one for me.

So yeah, they are cashing in on some of the fans who already played it, but there are also a lot of people like me who have never played it, and for whom the alternative is paying $50 for a version with fewer features, assuming I could even find it.

Of course, I bought Ninja Gaiden Black, with gusto, and never regretted it.

LobsterMobster wrote:

For the record, FES is not just an attempt to cash in on the fans. It does have new content but the real feature is that you can actually find a copy. You'd be lucky to find a copy of the original Persona 3 in the wild and even then they were still selling for a full $50. I attempted to drop that and pick up a copy but Sears couldn't even locate one for me.

So true! I went looking for it 2 months back and found only two copies left at a local EB. Everyone else was sold out.

I paid $10 for the "Raising Hell" expansion to Overlord, which expanded the game with significant content, like FES does for Persona 3; the "epilogue" included in FES is supposedly quite lengthy (comparable to Lunar 2) so if that's worth $20, it sounds fair. (By the way, "Raising Hell" really does include some great content so far, I can't imagine playing Overlord-- which I got right after the recent price drop to $20-- without it. I understand the PS3 port will have "Raising Hell" included right off the disc.)

Also, yeah, since it's basically the (impossible to find) original with extra content, the real winners are people who didn't pick up the game at all yet.

My copy of the original is still in shrink wrap (yeah, I ended up playing through Mass Effect about four times instead of two, heh) but I'm not shedding any tears. I'm kind of glad that my first playthrough will be with the FES content included.

..also, I've noticed that FES is solid gold for anybody who wants to snidely look down their nose at more mainstream gamers. "Yes, there is a very important release coming up... no, not GTAIV, you bourgeois peon!")

I have both FES and GTA4 on preorder. Because I'm insane. Fortunately my wife is travelling for a few days, and I had some time off work banked up.

I really have to remember that when there's a jRPG as GOTW, not to read the text next to the picture. I keep forgetting.

The World Ends With You is getting really high scores all around. I'll have to pick this one up along with FES.

It's true. It runs so counter to my instincts that I can't help but be snide.

Wait until next week if I decide I have to give GOTW to GTAIV. Bring hip waders.

Elysium wrote:

It's true. It runs so counter to my instincts that I can't help but be snide.

Wait until next week if I decide I have to give GOTW to GTAIV. Bring hip waders.

I was thinking more of a Hazmat suit.

1. FES is a super deal for people without P3, like, uh, me.

2. Isn't GTA4 a shoe-in for GOTW? Not that anyone who cares will even realize your snubbing, they'll be hip deep in dead hookers.

Hmm, Aaron Sorkin's dialogue is too unrealistically supersmooth and fast paced. I was tricked by Tom Hank's easy delivery. I liked the movie even though it did seem liberally biased with its foreshadowing of the breakup of Afghanistan based on US support of Afghan rebels.

This is not going to be popular but:

I'd like to see a Hollywood movie or some sort of geopolitics strategy game that asks why the world seems to want to break China into pieces with the Tibet issue. I mean if one of the United States' member states decided to seek independence and secede, we'd go right ahead and let them, right...it's not like the federal government would crush that rebellion with an iron fist, invading and burning cities and slaughtering civilians...hmm...wait a sec...is China the US from 150 years ago? But with more factories? There's gotta be a game idea there.

Any sightings of P3:FES in the wild today?

The new content in P3:FES is not just new characters and personas, but also a new 20-30 hour "sequel" that continues the story after the somewhat sudden ending of the original. You definitely get your $30 worth with this game.

scrub wrote:

2. Isn't GTA4 a shoe-in for GOTW? Not that anyone who cares will even realize your snubbing, they'll be hip deep in dead hookers.

It's about as big as the next Kevin Federline album. It will make for interesting gossip, but not something I want to actually play.

gargamello wrote:

Hmm, Aaron Sorkin's dialogue is too unrealistically supersmooth and fast paced. I was tricked by Tom Hank's easy delivery. I liked the movie even though it did seem liberally biased with its foreshadowing of the breakup of Afghanistan based on US support of Afghan rebels.

This is not going to be popular but:

I'd like to see a Hollywood movie or some sort of geopolitics strategy game that asks why the world seems to want to break China into pieces with the Tibet issue. I mean if one of the United States' member states decided to seek independence and secede, we'd go right ahead and let them, right...it's not like the federal government would crush that rebellion with an iron fist, invading and burning cities and slaughtering civilians...hmm...wait a sec...is China the US from 150 years ago? But with more factories? There's gotta be a game idea there.

Except that the idea that Tibet is an integral part of China is very much open to debate. So you'd have to place your game in a parallel universe where Tibet has always been part of China, which makes it only a slightly weirder idea for a game than it is already.

FES is a GREAT service by ATLUS.

It is the 30 dollar expansion and conclusion to the original game for the same retail price, and they tacked on the original game with alot of expanded content, and updated stuff to make it feel fresh. Your courage, academics, and charm can be imported from a save game of the original Persona 3, as well as your Persona Compendium, but it may take a while to unlock it.

Persona 3 was nigh impossible to find, and the only way ATLUS could release FES was if more people would buy it that the original release, which was made critically short from quality issues with the included Art Book. But they couldn't fairly charge people who bought the original anymore to include the new content.

So, they omitted the Art Book, and the soundtrack, and included a FANTASTIC version of the first game full of goodness FOR FREE!

I commend ATLUS for 2 things:

Making FES the wonder it is, including new gear, personas, events, and characters.

Making the boys i have seen look and act like boys, except maybe "Mr. Home Ec". (who my girl has a crush on)