April 10th - 15th

Considering the nefarious actions of certain sites of, some might say, ill repute, I think it's important to note that we do not sell our billing for Game of the Week. We have taken this firm stand because we are mighty in our principles! We stand side-by-side with our readers, watching out for their good fortune above that of our own, and rejecting the publishers out there who might, for example, try to convince you that HUMMER: Badlands is anything short of an attempt at cashing in on the Hummer brandname. There's also the fact that no one has ever approached us about selling out. I have reason to believe that our mighty principles would hold fast against as many as three zeroes! I kid.

As to our GotW? Uh, coin says heads so it's Auto Assault, barely defeating MLB 2k6 for the Xbox 360 in a straight-up 50/50 coin toss. Tough luck, Major League Baseball.

IMAGE(http://www.gametab.com/images/ss/pc/2798/box.jpg)

On the DVD front we have - ... checking ... checking ... - Nothing! Browse the void of releases here.

PC:
Auto Assault (04/11)
Stacked (04/11)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (04/11)
Condemned: Criminal Origins (04/11)
Sims 2: Family Fun Stuff, The (04/11)
Baseball Mogul 2007 (04/12)

XBOX360:
Major League Baseball 2K6 (04/10)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (04/11)
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (04/11)

XBOX:
Stacked (04/11)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (04/11)
Classified: The Sentinel Crisis (04/11)
Army Men: Major Malfunction (04/11)
King of Fighters NeoWave, The (04/11)
HUMMER: Badlands (04/11)

GAMECUBE:
Odama (04/10)

PS2:
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (04/11)
HUMMER: Badlands (04/11)
Monster Rancher EVO (04/11)
Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked (04/11)

GBA:
Cabbage Patch Kids: The Patch Puppy Rescue (04/11)

PSP:
Major League Baseball 2K6 (04/13)

Comments

Odama might be the wierdest game I've ever seen.

The Fly wrote:

Odama might be the wierdest game I've ever seen.

Yep, and the weirdness is more than just a little compelling.

If anyone wants to see Odama in action, check out these videos.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage...

Makes me want to get a GameCube.

Same here; actually, I'm rather surprised at the weakness in this week's releases. Odama is the only title interesting enough here that I want to try it.

No love for the new Lara?

No... none here either.

The voice of GWJ Corporate wrote:

I have reason to believe that our mighty principles would hold fast against as many as three zeroes! I kid.

You mean it would only take two?

Cabbage Patch Kids: The Patch Puppy Rescue

Woot!

Tough choices, but unless Auto Assault has suddenly become spectacular, it's definitely not the highlight of this list.

Anything new on xLive... say, perhaps a new download for Oblivion. Oblivion... good game, yep, yep,... yep.

True story...

I'm rather surprised at the weakness in this week's releases.

It's only gonna get worse. Welcome to the pre-E3 wasteland. Hope you like the games you've got, cuz there ain't more to get for a while.

Welcome to the pre-E3 wasteland. Hope you like the games you've got, cuz there ain't more to get for a while.

It's just you and me baby.

Can anyone clue me in on what sites beardy was referring to selling favors? I'm clueless and lazy.

Odama is finally out? Sweet.

Zero wrote:

Odama is finally out? Sweet.

I don't know man. I don't think that anything good can come of this:

IMAGE(http://www.gametab.com/images/ss/gcn/3839/ss-9.jpg)

(Actual Odama Screenshot)

Edwin wrote:

If anyone wants to see Odama in action, check out these videos.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage...

Makes me want to get a GameCube.

I... um.... huh? That latest trailer hurts my head.

Elysium wrote:

PC:
Stacked (04/11)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (04/11)

C'mon, God, really? You're really making it this easy for us?

Elysium wrote:
I'm rather surprised at the weakness in this week's releases.

It's only gonna get worse. Welcome to the pre-E3 wasteland. Hope you like the games you've got, cuz there ain't more to get for a while.

You know, that's an example of just how fast time is flying by this year. I keep forgetting it's already April. Geez!

That said, at least it's almost E3 time, when we will hopefully finally get the rest of the info on the Revolution and PS3, and get some actual hands-on impressions of some launch titles! I hope...

Ely wrote:

Considering the nefarious actions of certain sites of, some might say, ill repute, I think it's important to note that we do not sell our billing for Game of the Week. We have taken this firm stand because we are mighty in our principles! We stand side-by-side with our readers, watching out for their good fortune above that of our own, and rejecting the publishers out there who might, for example, try to convince you that HUMMER: Badlands is anything short of an attempt at cashing in on the Hummer brandname. There's also the fact that no one has ever approached us about selling out. I have reason to believe that our mighty principles would hold fast against as many as three zeroes! I kid.

Proof that good writing comes in all sizes and packages. (others might point out that Elysium is a good writer...) I like how you deliquesced an industrial fixation down to a sentence fragment.

I appreciate the sentiment that our CEOs are not looking for short term financial gain. I wonder if GWJ might actually be the fulfillment of Plato's philosopher kings, i.e. rule by wisdom...

Stacked (04/11)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (04/11)

Coincidence that these titles are listed together? I think not.

A number of my guild mates in the auto dual, ur, assault rather, beta have not had very charitable things to say about it. With much picking on the the lack of a physics engine or even a reasonable facsimile there of. I have no first hand experience though. Off hand I'm planing to wait on several review rounds before even considering it.

It's only gonna get worse. Welcome to the pre-E3 wasteland. Hope you like the games you've got, cuz there ain't more to get for a while.

I disagree. There is Dreamfall next week and the week thereafter is Guild Wars: Factions.

Also for something completely different, consider Brain Age:

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?p...

I disagree. There is Dreamfall next week and the week thereafter is Guild Wars: Factions.

Dreamfall is a potentially excellent but niche title in a nearly dead genre. After that, an expansion pack. (though, certainly exciting for owners and lovers of Guild Wars). There're always a few titles that try to sneak in on the lull, and of course there are always indie and niche games to be excited about that aren't really on the same rotation.

In fact, this is a great time of the year to get some press if you are a smaller developer, which, I suspect, is exactly what Dreamfall is shooting for.

No love for Condemned?

I liked the demo for it, and I lack a 360.

I played Auto Assault for awhile, and I found it to be okay.. it's main problem is that repetive action based gameplay mixed with tradtional MMO grind time means a game that is both fast-paced in combat, yet takes quite a bit of combat to level up, meaning that it becomes quite boring fast, and the combat is fairly simplistic.

It would be better if there was a way to de-synchonize the weapons, so that the top turrent could bring death nonstop, but the other weapons (that tend to do more damage and have a smaller firing arc, along with a longer reload time) were triggered by seperate buttons, or anything at all, as AA gets really boring really fast, and grouping seemed pointless as long as there was someone who could heal to lessen trips back to repair areas, to keep the killing constant.

The crafting is also TOO DAMN COMPLEX, and the game requires early, permanant decision making that have long term consequnces, which is always a bitch.

On the Bright Side, AA lets you blow sh*t up, lots of sh*t up, but I blow sh*t up by using a flamethrower and a machine gun on telephone poles... that should not work! I also lit trees on fire with machine guns.

After that, an expansion pack. (though, certainly exciting for owners and lovers of Guild Wars)

Actually, Guild Wars Factions is not an expansion pack, but rather a stand alone game that allows a crossover to zones contained in the original Guild Wars in the vein of City of Heroes/City of Villains (without subscription of course).

I played the Condemned demo a couple weeks ago but man, you would think that a game that focuses on melee fighting would try and do a better job of it. I can give it props for excellent sound/atmosphere though. About Odama, i'm wondering how a game where you kill your own troops by complete accident (every 2.5 seconds) got approved.