Beyond Good and Evil HD remake for XBLA/PSN

This is great news as never did play through the original.

I'll be interested to see how much rework they do on it, improved models/textures, etc. rather than just a resolution bump (which the PC has had since it got released )

More people playing it can't be a bad thing, but of all the games to be 'remade' for HD, I'm not sure BG&E will see a load of benefit as the art was tailored to the capabilities of systems at the time. I seem to recall they wanted it to be a more realistic style, but the constraints made them take different decisions so perhaps the remake might look quite different.

Nothing like buying it a third time. Own it on the ps2 and pc already.

I'd buy it just to get rid of the forced letterbox view that doesn't support widescreen monitors. The game was plenty fun but I gave up after trying for an hour to fix the aspect ratio.

Running Man wrote:

Via GOG, Via WSGF:

Im still trying to fix the game for widescreen aswell as the aspect-ratio is off, but it doesnt look like Ill be able to finish this.
Something that improves the game for widescreen users is to add this registrykey:
key = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ubisoft\Beyond Good & Evil\SettingsApplication.INI\Basic video\NoBands", type = DWORD, value = 1

Interestingly they have a screenshot of the gamecube BG&E running on an emulator that is perfect for widescreen/triplehead

Well this is a weird coincidence!
I just installed it from Steam, and spent the last couple of evenings mucking around with the options to get it to run properly. Now it kinda works, bar some weird slowdown and the stretched aspect ratio... but if I can play a remastered version with my gamepad on my TV from my couch, well, I guess I'll wait instead!

Me happy.

Despite a lot of people calling this kind of initiative a soulless cash-in to resell old games to a gullible nostalgic public, I think it's genuinely important that new gamers get to experience the classics in a convenient format. And it's been made possible by digital downloads, so yay for the magic future we live in!

il dottore wrote:

There will always be people looking for ways to bash some big company they don't like the look of. I think you have to take a few liberties to say a re-release like this is a bad thing. Calling a release from a for-profit company a 'cash-in' is just silly, they're not going to do it out of public service. The other thing I see is moans that staff working on this aren't working on something else (the thing they like), as though they are a boss at Ubisoft.

It's updated for modern systems, fixing problems and changing things like assuming people had a 4:3 display, it's (hopefully) going to sell to new players, it gets people interested of the world that they're making a sequel to.

Scratched wrote:

Precisely.
Besides, I can't imagine that this is taking a lot of resources off the "main game". Which is a silly point of view anyway, since this kind of re-release is usually pretty high-margin and can help finance the making of a sequel, in addition to raising awareness of the franchise as you say.
Some people just like to get angry I guess...

il dottore wrote:

I don't read many other gaming forums, so maybe I'm insulated from much of this. Where is this being said? I don't feel gullible in the slightest for re-buying games I love in a better format. It's not like how George Lucas serial rapes Star Wars or something.

I could see 'gullible' if you were playing an emulated version of the original release on your shiny new console, and there was deception going on. This is a new release which will supposedly be getting updated, which you are not being forced to buy.

This is fantastic news! I've been wanting to replay Beyond Good & Evil for awhile now but it's not backwards compatible on the 360.

Curious what remastering the soundtrack means. It's one of my favorite game soundtracks so hopefully they don't mess with it too much. Maybe they plan on recording full orchestral versions instead of some of the synth stuff? That'd be cool.

This is happy news indeed. And one can only hope the re-release is to drum up interest for a sequel.

You can get it right now.

System Requirements
OS: Windows® 2000/XP (only)
Processor: 700 MHz Pentium® III, Celeron®, or AMD Athlon™ (1 GHz recommended)
Memory: 64 MB minimum, 128 MB recommended (256 MB recommended for XP)
Graphics:DirectX® 9-compatible 32 MB video card (specific cards supported: ATI® Radeon™ 9700 and Pro, ATI Radeon 9000 and Pro, GeForce™ 4 Ti 4600/Ti 4400/MX 460/MX 440, GeForce3 and Ti500, GeForce2 GTS/MX400/MX)
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0
Sound: DirectX 9-compatible sound card
Hard Drive: 2.2 GB

Just saying.

I'd be interested in the details of what they HD-ifying about the game.

Nothing like buying it a fourth time. Own it on GameCube, PS2, and Xbox already. I was wanting to re-play it recently anyway!

Too bad it is download only. This is the kind of game I want to have in my hot little hands, cradle it close to my breast, gently stroke the cover, hang it from my wall with a little spotlight on it... I'll take it over "nothing at all," of course. And hope that the purchase encourages work on a sequel.

KaterinLHC wrote:

Am guessing the re-release is either to prepare the ground for the sequel or test the ground for a sequel.

So either they're committed to a sequel and want to try to establish a brand early or they're still considering it and want to test the waters.

I think the last news was "it's happening", but they're keeping the team small.

I tried to play this game like 5 times and never got further than maybe 30 minutes. I hate the opening

The opening/tutorial parts are a bit slow/cute/boring. It does take a little while to pick up, which I think is when you get into the resistance.

As good as it was, I'm reluctant to give it another play through as I know there's some parts to it that don't hold up. I know it would never happen but there's a lot of games, BG&E included, where instead of a 'HD upgrade' I'd prefer a team to do some rework on it and allow them to change things. For what is essentially a budget title, it could end up being a lot of work.

I'll buy it if only to fund the sequel.

Will probably re-buy as well (if those few dollars on Steam even counts as a buy), just to tell them to hurry up with the sequel already!

Scratched wrote:
Running Man wrote:

Via GOG, Via WSGF:

key = "HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareUbisoftBeyond Good & EvilSettingsApplication.INIBasic videoNoBands", type = DWORD, value = 1

Eureka! Works like a charm. It looks like someone posted it there about a month after I gave up on it. This was the one good-old-game I didn't get my money's worth from. Moving it to the front of the retro-gaming backlog pile

Great! I'll buy this even though I already own it for the PS2. They seem to hint at possible new secrets/features, so maybe that will make it worth the buy beyond the likelihood that if this re-release sells well the sequel might finally be set on its way.

KaterinLHC wrote:

This is my hope as well. I almost feel obligated to buy it just to send Ubisoft this message.

Just be aware that many people have problems with the game not running properly on modern system (including me). Most of it is fixable, but it may take some fiddling.
Also, the widescreen fix posted above really only removes the letterbox black bars. The game is still horizontally stretched, you just get a bit more vertical FOV.

Running Man wrote:

On various sites, I don't really remember the exact places. I went to so many sites yesterday to see if I could glean some more info! Mostly comments just under the news post, not on forums.

I wonder if a number of people pumped for this game will decide, in playing it, that they craved the nostalgia of playing this game more than they crave actually playing it again. There are some tedious, tedious sneak parts in this game that I'm interested in hearing others discuss when the game comes out. Didn't come in to be a negative Nancy, just adding a thought I had when I saw this news.

demonbox wrote:

Gamers with rose tinted spectacles? Ridiculous!

BG&E was an above average game. I think it stood out because it had a bit of care and attention, no massive glaring problems, and being different from space marines shooting guys in the face. The way it gets held aloft as a gift from the gods is going too far, and just shows how gamers are still cargo cultists for anything with a slight spark of creativity.

There's a lot of things I could say about gamers as a group, but it's off topic and would probably get me lynched and then fired.

I like that this is being done, but I probably won't buy it. I agree with Scratched that the game was good, and I thoroughly enjoyed it when I played it, but I suspect that playing it again (even in HD) will remove some of the rosy tint from my glasses.

I do hope this succeeds though, and pushes Ubisoft to not cancel the sequel that they've been teasing.

To those asking about the sequel - it is still in development, but with a very small team. Michel Ancel has been flitting around multiple projects, so it's not seen the attention from him it deserves - but it is still in development.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was released and a few months later Ubi announced BG&E2 with a confirmed release date.

I played this through maybe a year or two ago (on the PC) and don't think it has aged at all. While the gameplay is hardly revolutionary, what set it apart was the art design and setting. The soundtrack is great as well.

The graphics stand up even now because of the style the game is going for.

I may have a case of rose-tinted spectacles from a year or two ago, but I don't think my glasses tint that fast.

I am for this so hard.