Just Dance 2020

GWJ Conference Call Episode 704

Eve Online (PC), Moonlighter (Switch), Remnant: From the Ashes (PS4), Armello (PC), Seasonal Events in Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch), Jackbox games (PC), Dreamscaper (PC), Fitness Gaming, Your Emails, and More!

Click here to download!

Amanda, Julian, Rich, and returning guest McChuck talk about Fitness Gaming and Playing to Stay Active.

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind.

Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Comments

00:01:20 Moonlighter
00:08:00 Animal Crossing: New Horizons
00:13:41 Armello
00:18:28 Jackbox games
00:25:23 Eve Online
00:27:41 Dreamscaper
00:33:40 Fitness Gaming
00:55:43 Your Emails

"Not their first, second, or twelfth rodeo" needs to be a forum meme.

Is Moonlighter doing anything different than Recettear? It seems neat, but if I get the urge for that game loop, there's still a bunch of content I haven't played through in that game.

I had a lot of fun with Racettear back in the day! Not sure it would hit the spot today, though, with so little free time.
Also, I can attest that you really can work up a sweat with Just Dance (2019 in my case)! Especially if you turn on sweat mode. I can provide my watch's tracking if need be, but I'll be giving it my all in my living room, no matter if I look a little silly doing the duets by myself.
My downstairs neighbors probably hate me, though.
I've particularly been enjoying the World Dance Floor Mode, which allows you to sync up with other players all around the world and (attempt to) measure up myself to them.

Fun podcast, looking forward to next week!!

'Don't look at the finger, look at where it's pointing.' Tell that to my cat.

Thrill of the Fight for a VR boxing workout. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but it will give you the best air boxing experience and more of a workout than any other non treadmill / indoor bike game. After a few rounds my buddy summed it up best with the comment "I literally just tried to sit on the virtual boxing stool".

They do recommend that you have a 6.5' x 6.5' area. I deal with slightly less and it works. Oh, and it's only $10.

EvilDead wrote:

Same comment for Creed: Rise To Glory.

Protip - turn up your VR boundaries. I've punched the wall twice because I have mine turned down so they only show on the floor, which is fine for nearly all other games, but not so much this one. My knuckle is still bruised, weeks later.

Honestly, I've been using VR as a gym replacement over the winter, since I quit the Crossfit gym last summer because my schedule wasn't gelling with the class times.

Beat Saber was step 1 in my VR gym. Once you get to Expert and beyond, it's fast enough that it's a solid cardio workout. Heart-rate up, sweat glands engaged.
Pistol Whip is Leg Day.
Ring Fit is in the rotation too (albeit that it's not VR, but I bought a second dock so I could set it up in my basement office so I wouldn't wake the kid up by using it after bedtime in the living room)

I've got my eye on a few other VR fitness titles, waiting on a sale - BoxVR, Racket NX , Synth Riders, Dance Collider and OhShape.

And I can't stress the value of a wipeable set of replacement pads for your headset if you want to sweat into your cyber-goggles. Shout out to VRcover.com

Racket NX isn't too much of a workout because the ball can kind of powerslide along the wall for lengths of time. It's still a fun game. Eleven table tennis is better since you have to be real quick especially when playing multi. It's as close to real ping pong as you are going to get without a table.

I've not tried it, but I've heard good things about Fitness Boxing from the Nintend Switchcraft podcast.

Word of warning for Just Dance is that there are not that many songs in the kids section without the subscription. And the subscription is a pain in the ass to setup on Switch at least.
Still fun if you get it, but I was surprised how little was in the base game. There was more for older kids or for adults.

Eleima wrote:

My downstairs neighbors probably hate me, though. :D

I got some rubber exercise mats to try to help with that. My apartment is old and has wood floors so it's still probably not great but it'd definitely be worse otherwise. They only came up once when they had to work early the next day.

EvilDead wrote:

Jonman wrote:

Same comment for Creed: Rise To Glory.

...

Thanks for the info! Thrill Of The Fight looks great but is unfortunately not on PS4. I did pick up Creed though and really dig it. I have a 6x4 space with the above mentioned exercise mats. Might need to push it back and get another row to make it 6x6 because current placement has opponents right on top of me. Seems like my jabs are going way through their heads.

Since it was on sale I also grabbed BOXVR. It's basically a rhythm game like Beat Saber where different punches come directly at in time with a song. I get so bored working out at home, even shadow boxing so this at least engages me more.

VRCover sadly doesn't have a PSVR cover though it looks like they used to. I found another site that has something so might grab that.

I tried Moonlighter last year and bounced off; it wasn't for me at the time. But the other day, after hearing about it on the podcast, I popped back in, and I'm glad I did! It has a neat little gameplay loop and I find I enjoy it much more if I play it like a mobile game on my PS4 (1-2 dungeon runs, then set it down for the day) than if I binge it.

Also, this is a game where I have to consciously work to turn off my completionist lizard brain. I know there are achievements for things like "kill all bosses with the broom" and part of me wants to get those, but part of me knows it will make the game less fun, and I will enjoy it more if I just approach it with a sense of wonder and exploration!

EvilDead wrote:

I just tried BoxVR for a workout and it seemed pretty darn good. I'll check out this one too, hopefully it's on Quest.

McChuck wrote:
Eleima wrote:

My downstairs neighbors probably hate me, though. :D

I'm probably exaggerating. It's always during the day, like 4-5pm, and I never hear anything from upstairs (except maybe the odd scrape that sounds like a pet who missed their turn while on a running spree). The apartment building is fairly new - for the Old World anyhow - and I feel like it's a lot better than previous, centuries old buildings I've been in before.

So Just Dance continues to be a daily thing in our household. And I have to say, nothing quite compares with being 1st in a world dance song, even if it just lasts a dozens seconds.