NFL 2019: Week 1

Pages

* In cased you missed it, this is what set Antonio Brown off:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/5HIU7tp.jpg)

I don't see any good way of resolving this short of getting rid of him. Not only did the incident happen, but now it is Thursday before the game and he is absent from practice again. The absences from training camp have possibly obscured the severity of being AWOL from practice on game week. That is another escalation. I don't see how the Raiders can just excuse what has happened, and even if it was possible, I don't see AB taking responsibility sufficiently to allow both sides to step things back down.

* Mayock should just say "f**k this" and go back to NFL Network. Don't ever agree to be a puppet GM. I don't believe for one minute that Antonio Brown was Mayock's idea.

* Interesting thing I saw on the Raiders final 53 man depth chart: Trent Brown has been moved to right tackle, and Kolton Miller at left tackle. When the Raiders signed Brown, they paid him left tackle money ($16.5m/yr average). That number was a small incremental notch above the previous left tackle top contract, which averages $16m/yr. But with Brown on the right side, he's now the highest paid right tackle by a significant margin - the previous right tackle high was $12m/yr! It's pretty clear that Brown was signed to be a franchise left tackle, and come the start of the season, he's not even a starting left tackle.

Too bad Hard Knocks ignored this story too. They wanted Brown to be left tackle because Kolton Miller was so bad last year. Brown will no doubt improve things on the right side (Brandon Parker was ranked 79th out of 80 tackles at PFF last year), but they obviously were expecting more from Brown, no matter how much they say "we treat the right and left side the same".

* The good Josh Allen reminds me of Khalil Mack when he was a rookie. Mack only had 4 sacks as a rookie, but he was just a disruptive force all over. That's what Josh Allen looked like against Miami's 1st team in preseason week 3, to the extent that Jags DC Todd Wash started talking about adjusting some of his defensive schemes to get Allen on the field alongside Calais Campbell and Yannick Ngakoue, rather than just rotating into their spots. Speaking of Mayock and the Raiders, I'll never understand how they saw fit to pass on Allen to take Clelin Ferrell. So far, Ferrell has done basically nothing.

* As I was typing this post, NFL Network did a roundtable question, "who will be the most important rookie this season?". Kurt Warner's pick was Josh Allen, and while he was talking about Allen, the producers were rolling footage of the other Josh Allen instead. Someone noticed because the footage abruptly cut off, but not after showing the Bills QB completing a couple of passes (one of which went for like 8 yards, amazing highlights!)

* Trent Williams continues to hold out in Washington. Speaking of which, Washington completely blew it when sitting there and watching Houston give a ton away to get Laremy Tunsil. Washington's insistence that Williams will rejoin them seems based in wishful thinking and, as Mike Florio put it, #fakenews.

I can't wait to randomly stumble across these threads in five years.

Rat Boy wrote:

I can't wait to randomly stumble across these threads in five years.

Where one Josh Allen is a repeat Pro Bowler, and the other Josh Allen is a disappointing backup on a team other than the one that drafted him.

Which one is which? See you guys in 2024!

How many Josh Allens are there in the NFL? And how do I tell them apart from Kyle Allen, one of the Panthers' two backup QBs?

Enix wrote:

If he sacks a QB, it's good Josh Allen.

If he throws a pass and it goes near a teammate, it's Kyle Allen.

If he throws a pass and it doesn't go near a teammate, it's bad Josh Allen.

Certis in the previous thread wrote:

My last football lock for a good while. *sniff*

Goddammit...

I'm both excited for football on Sunday again, and also kind of "meh". We'll see how Sunday's game goes.

Sidenote: Immediately after signing Brown the Raiders declared he'd be a RT. I have to imagine that they don't want to put Miller in the "lesser" position and mess with his psyche or something.

And, yes, they still have Tom Cable as OL coach.

*Legion* wrote:

Oh, yeah, this. Once again, I'm reminded of Milkman's comment that Chucky needs to try and be smarter than everyone.

garion333 wrote:

Giving up 16 sacks as a rookie didn't already do that?

Goddamn it I'm so tired of watching Carrs get bludgeoned into submission at the NFL level.

Rat Boy wrote:

I can't wait to randomly stumble across these threads in five years.

Yeah what is that like, exactly?

Hold on, I thought Drogon and the Mountain laid waste to the Bud Light kingdom during the Super Bowl,

Enix wrote:

Somewhere, in some alternate universe, there is a league made up of naught but Josh Allens and Mike Williamses.

Opening night of the NFL is always that crappy dichotomy of, "yay, it's real football time!" and "meh, it's Thursday Night Football".

Granted, Week 1 Thursday night is probably the least offensive TNF because neither team played the Sunday before, but it's still TNF.

Al and Chris are dressed up like they're doing a breaking news report for Sesame Street News.

Did they just blame Winnipeg for Aaron Rogers sucking? I feel attacked.

Is the Jack Ryan show any good?

*Legion* wrote:

Is the Jack Ryan show any good?

I found the first season entertaining, but the second season trailer's got me wondering what websites the writers read during the day.

I really don't want to see the not-dancing boy band all season long.

I hate how NFL season brings commercials crashing back into my life.

Shouldn't that newsreel footage been a silent film if we're acting like it's 1919?

*Legion* wrote:

I really don't want to see the not-dancing boy band all season long.

I hate how NFL season brings commercials crashing back into my life.

This is a massive reason I can’t watch the NFL. I detest commercials and the flow of the game is absolutely beholden to commercials. It’s really distracting and gross.

Rat Boy wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

Is the Jack Ryan show any good?

There's about 500 jokes I wanna make, but I won't let D&D escape containment.

I also appreciated the Crown Royal water break ad for A.) Not being nearly enough water to keep people from getting blitzed. B.) Not taking nearly enough time to keep people from getting blitzed.

Anyway, thus far, this is a preseason game, except all the starters are staying in.

I assume the Bears defense will be attacking the Bears offense with a variety of blunt objects after the game.

I take back what I said about Week 1 TNF being less offensive.

I am here for Seahawks players referring to themselves as X-Men.

Altho I am more personal to Weapon X...

That was an awful INT to (probably) lose the game on.

EDIT: Green Bay determined to give Chicago another chance, apparently.

EDIT EDIT: Chicago couldn't throw the second chance away fast enough.

Welcome back to football everybody!

iaintgotnopants wrote:

Relevant to this website:

Person Caught Saying “I Never Had My Butt Fingered” On NFL Broadcast

finger -> butt

That game was still more entertaining than the Super Bowl.

TheGameguru wrote:

That game was still more entertaining than the Super Bowl.

The last SB was so bad I struggle to remember any details.

As for this game clearly not the greatest piece of entertainment but a great Chicago defense vs what I'm not sure to make of a Packers O and D.

All week co-workers were asking me what did I expect. I kept shrugging, I had no clue as it's going to take time for the defense especially to gel. Doesn't hurt when the first game you get to figure things out is vs Mitch Trubisky.

No picks link? What's even the point?

Pages