GWJ Conference Call Episode 646

A Special Dark Souls Update, Anthem, Apex Legends, Tetris 99, Astroneer, Expressing Yourself in Gameplay, Your Emails and More!

Click here to download!

This week Allen, Cory, Amanda and Shawn talk about expressing yourself through gameplay.

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind.

Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Comments

In regards to the email about single player vs multiplayer hours, to me it is a matter of perceived potential value. How many hours is it “possible” to play this game, and did I get a sense of satisfactory completion. If I have a 200ml cup of juice and a 2000ml cup of juice and I drink 200ml of each then throw the cup away, I’m going to feel worse about throwing away the cup that still has a whole ton of juice left in it.

00:00:00 Dark Souls
00:07:00 Anthem
00:17:04 Apex Legends
00:28:31 Tetris 99
00:35:24 Astroneer
00:38:39 Expressing Yourself in Gameplay
01:00:42 Your Emails

I’m consistently in the top ten on tetris 99, but I have never gotten past fourth place.

Which I thought was pretty bad (4th or 44th, it’s still losing.) , but listening today showed me that maybe my perspective was skewed. It didn’t occur to me that most people don’t win, even though by definition only 1% of anyone who plays the game can ever win.

The game does a bad job of explaining anything about the targeting mechanics, which is to say it does no job at all, but there’s a small bit on the user interface that shows you the shortcut for targeting with the analog sticks.

The right stick (I think) will let you target specific players. The other stick is the shortcut stick. One direction targets random players, one targets whoever’s in the lead (don’t use either of those. One is useless and the other just pisses off someone who’s better at tetris than you are) another targets whoever’s targeting you, and the last one targets whoever’s closest to death.

I try to avoid targeting anyone until I’m in the top 20, because doing so just brings the sort of attention that Amanda talked about where everyone gangs up on you and drops a hundred lines on you all at once.

When you’re being targeted, you’ll see a bar in the left side of the screen that shows how many rows you’re about to get hit with. When they’re flashing red they’re imminent. You can clear that bar before it hits by clearing 2 or more lines. (Four rows cleared on the board removes four rows from the attack bar)

This concludes my tetris 99 pro(ficiency) tips.

"I have not heard anyone talk about this game that doesn't talk about it the way British people talk about duty."

IMAGE(https://i.ibb.co/BPpgq4K/keep-calm-and-play-anthem.png)

But more importantly, hooray for Tetris 99 discussion! Personally, I love it when people gang up on me early because it lets me throw junk at all of them at the same time. When I pull it off, I feel like Rorschach. "I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me!"

But then I took a week off and suddenly I feel so much slower and seem to get knocked out so much earlier. Did I lose my edge that quickly or is the average skill level increasing that quickly?

Probably both

IMAGE(http://archive.massappeal.com/wp-content/uploads/dr_strange_spells.jpg)

Clitch wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but I just don't look at any game that way. It's not how I perceive value.

Maybe because, if I did, I'd be super-duper disappointed in myself and my choices.

Does anyone else hear a very high-pitched tone starting around 49 minutes in? It's soft enough that it's hard to notice, but it hurts my ears after a while.

Paine wrote:

I listened real close just now but I can't pick up what you mean. Anyone else notice?

Corey, if we ever cross paths I'll owe you a nice glass of Scotch or something, just because your mind went straight to making a game of 2112 when concept albums were mentioned.

On the topic of Videogame musicals, Karmaflow: The Rock Opera videogame exists.

It's true to rock Opera in that its also kind of mediocre and forgettable.

Certis wrote:
Paine wrote:

I'm generally pretty sensitive to high frequency sounds and I didn't hear anything. Paine, might want to check your own equipment/environment.

One other thing about time spent in Anthem. I don't think anyone would be all that upset if they only got twenty-five hours or so out of Anthem. But I think EA would, and that they were budgeting for a much bigger success. I think that's really what people are looking at when they talk about the amount of time spent in that game.

Last night I finished RDR2 after a couple evenings of stubbornly pushing through the Epilogue, so I feel in a good place to talk about game-end traditions.

The first thing I do with any story-based game I've finished is cry look up ALL the in-jokes and memes and spoilers and fanart. I search the tags on tumblr/twitter/instagram, I browse the subreddit, I read theories and fanfic and just totally immerse myself in the characters and world and how other people perceived it. Generally I'll let the credits play in the background during my initial search.

I don't usually post anything anywhere, with a few exceptions, but I will talk my friends' ears off if they let me.

Now that I think about it, I definitely do that with books, sometimes with TV (if suitably engaging, there's a lot of fluff background shows I've watched), and rarely with movies considering the commitment is so short.

I don’t often finish games, but when I do I have two traditions, or at least two things I do regularly enough that they pass for traditions. I don’t do both of them for every game; which one I do depends on how I feel about the game.

If I really like a game, I’ll start it over. I may finish it again, or I may not, but when I finish a game I like I keep playing it.

If I finished it largely out of duty, or just because I was close to the end and figured I might as well see it through, I’ll uninstall it and, as often as not, complain about the ending to anyone who’ll listen.

Fortunately, the games intend to finish fall more into the former category than the latter.

raevenote wrote:

I completely forgot that I've done the tumblr tag search for fan art MANY times. Thank you.

Certis wrote:
Paine wrote:

I didn't hear anything either, but on the topic of sound quality when Cory is on often his volume level is up and down. Not sure if it is his mic or he moves closer and further away or if he talks softly and loudly in person too, but it would be nice if there was a way to improve that. He has a bit of sibilance too so I am thinking it is his mic? Everyone else has a pretty consistent volume level usually.

LeapingGnome wrote:
Certis wrote:
Paine wrote:

Cory records standing up in front of his mic, so it's probably a movement thing.