Any so-called "REAL" football fans anxiously awaiting the second biggest sports weekend of the year?
Lots and lots of stories developing:
* Two "top" QBs who don't compare as draft prospects to the top QB prospects of the past few years (Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Palmer, Leftwich, Carr), but forecast near the top of the draft due to lack of other "franchise QB" options
* A stunning QB prospect who missed last year's college season due to gambling charges. Went to the Arena league and dominated, despite being the youngest player in the league. Appears to have said and done all of the right things since the gambling issue - character concerns, or just a little bad judgment from a young kid living in NCAA sanctioned poverty?
* Three possible Top-10 running backs (last time ANY RB was taken in the top 10 was 2000 with Jamal Lewis and Thomas Jones) - two from the same school.
* No top OT prospects to be found. One has all the talent in the world, but showed inconsistancy and lack of sufficient motivation in college.
* Superb WR prospect that sat out last year thanks to being bent over and boinked by the NCAA. Was a stud at USC but the year off is a concern
* Maurice Clarett
* Lots of "tweener" DE/3-4 OLB prospects
* An absolute physical freak (6'6", 240 pounds, ran a 4.4 flat 40 at the Combine) that has every scout's jaw on the floor, but played quarterback in college and projects at WR/TE/H-back in the pros. Appears to have every physical skill in the world, and the greatest attitude, but teams are afraid to spend their high draft pick on a player to play a position he hasn't played outside of the Senior Bowl & combine workouts.
* Lots of teams want the next athletic pass-catching franchise tight end, but only one player possibly meets that.