MARIO MAKER 2 UPDATE
Updated the thread title to reflect that hopefully we can keep this as a central discussion/repository for both the original SMM and SMM2. If anyone has requests or recommendations for overhauling this OP to make it more relevant with the release of Mario Maker 2, I'm eager to update it accordingly!
The goal of this thread is to serve as a central resource for the GWJ community in two primary ways:
1) Share/curate a list of recommended creations
2) Collaborate on learning how to use the creation tools to make new and inventive levels
I will be updating the OP as often as I can to make this a one-stop source for the GWJ community.
Getting inspiration to design a level
Level design is a tough nut to crack if you've never thought about a game from the perspective of putting one together. This video shows Miyamoto describing the process he and his team went through in designing the iconic first level of the original Super Mario Bros:
What's not in Mario Maker?
This infographic lays it out for you.
Seven tips from experienced level designers
GWJ community level designers
To add a person to your "followed" list, follow these steps:
1) Go to Course World and choose to look for courses
2) Tap the magnifying glass in the upper right and search for the Anchor Level code tied to the person you want to add
3) When the page for their course opens, look to the right of the course preview. You will see the designer's name and avatar
4) Tap the avatar. This opens the list of that person's courses
5) Tap the Heart icon in the upper right of the window; this will light up the icon, and now that person is in your "followed" list
You can see the list of people you are following by going to Makers in Course World, and then switching to the Followed (or Following, I forget which) tab. Then just tap the person's listing, and all their courses will be listed out for you to browse and play!
Dec 23, '15 Update: If the person's name is a link, it takes you directly to their Super Mario Maker profile page on Nintendo's site to browse and bookmark their courses.
- Ahrezmendi - A0D4-0000-0030-6A8A
- BGFH - 8582-0000-0039-7C99
- ClockworkHouse - B703-0000-004E-301E - MiiVerse: "A"
- Damnablebear - 5264-0000-002E-E58B
- Eldon_of_Azure - E8BB-0000-0038-BEAA
- Farscry - A3C3-0000-00EF-BC38 - MiiVerse: "Farscry"
- Fedaykin98 - AF57-0000-007D-AF05
- Garion333 - C8FF-0000-0028-82AD
- Geitnerbahn - 0981-0000-0033-5C5A
- hbi2k - AE6C-0000-00AC-F7F6
- Infernarl - 72C8-0000-0029-2E38
- IUMogg - 6E3B-0000-0082-ABE2
- Kosars - D6D8-0000-0019-DE9B
- MechaSlinky - 4F0C-0000-0097-2FF4
- MitchellW - DD23-0000-0062-F417
- m0nk3yboy - D8FC-0000-0021-7D99
- OzymandiasAV - A3F1-0000-0040-3F55
- Pyxistyx - 14B4-0000-0042-4481
- SirRockford - B873-0000-0059-2601
- TheCounselor - 73C8-0000-003B-E29E
- TuffaloBuffalo - 40CE-0000-0090-2EEE
- Vargen - A7C1-0000-0037-0645 - Miiverse: Marshall
- WolverineJon - 0F50-0000-0049-0430
- Zoso1701 - A4AD-0000-0024-9E29
GWJ community-curated levels
- Matt Thorson (creator of Towerfall) - CC9A-0000-0028-BBB5
- Random person with good Mario levels - 0C79-0000-0052-0B6F
Communities sharing/reviewing levels
MakerWorlds - I saw this one linked from Reddit and emailed them about joining in to help out; I like the concept they're working from and hopefully this will be a solid resource for the community!
MarioMaker subReddit - I'm not a heavy Reddit user, but I've been monitoring this subreddit for the last few weeks and it has some good resources.